IGNORED

Your pointless thoughts & observations

Plum

RDJ has produced plenty of great stuff since the early days. Maybe you were just a fan because of the hype.

*to the detractors*

Edited by drome

SAW II is arguably his best, or at least most refined, LP. But obviously opinions can vary vastly, given the wide array of his releases and side projects over the last three decades.

SAW II's great, but it's very basic.  Simple pad loop + reverb/delay = magic.  It's simplicity is a big part of what makes it as potent as it is.  So yes, most refined as you say.  Best?... okay that's subjective yeah.  Not going to debate anything like that.  Carry on.

I love the aphex twins, their music sounds like dubstep.

For real,

I got a gift certificate for a record shop for xmas.. Thinking of getting the 26 mixes vinyl bootleg. I wonder how the quality is ??

I just watched a Pop Will Eat Itself video for the first time.  They're kind of baffling.  I can't really tell if they're parodying something, satire, or just a confused mishmash of fads and attitudes that we're popular at the time.  Usually when I hear/see a band's video I sort of get a sense of what they're all about, but in this case I have no idea what I just witnessed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xef60FAN6Vk

I feel this maybe played an influence of early Faith No More/Chili Peppers/Bootsauce - remember those guys?  Yeah.  Weird era where hip hop/industrial culture gets adopted into pop/rock music.  The artists themselves probably weren't entirely sure what they were trying to do, they just went ahead and did it.  Comes off as super kitchy.

Edited by Zephyr_Nova

^

|

They're sampling. Only they're not having a device do it for them they're copying bits and pieces from other songs and playing them themselves (or at least pretending to).

It's also pop, so, you know, pop is eating itself.

The aesthetic is just what was popular at the time. EMF and Ned's Atomic Dustbin had it as well (to name but two examples besides the ones you've already given). I used to like it a lot and seeing it again after a these years doesn't make me feel like there's very much wrong with it. At least it's fun.

Then again, maybe I'm just old.

Well yeah, I get that they're incorporating samples.  I know everything they're doing from a technical/musical point of view.  But as a complete aesthetic I can't tell what they're going for.  Might get a better sense if I actually listened to an entire album... but I'm not sure I can justify it at this point.

Well yeah, I get that they're incorporating samples. I know everything they're doing from a technical/musical point of view. But as a complete aesthetic I can't tell what they're going for. Might get a better sense if I actually listened to an entire album... but I'm not sure I can justify it at this point.

That’s why you listen to: PWEI - Home (Orb mix) instead.

Well yeah, I get that they're incorporating samples. I know everything they're doing from a technical/musical point of view. But as a complete aesthetic I can't tell what they're going for. Might get a better sense if I actually listened to an entire album... but I'm not sure I can justify it at this point.

Maybe you shouldn't? It's definitely dated and if it's the aesthetic you're after there's tons of other places to get it.

PWEI was mostly for the critics - because of the whole sampling / eating itself thing. Everyone else danced to Happy Mondays instead.

I like a lot of stuff that sounds "dated".  I mean, getting the sense of an era from an album's production/musical tropes is something that fascinates me.  it's part of what I enjoy most about listening to older music.  New music too of course.  For the last couple decades it's been a lot harder to pinpoint what the era even is, since so much music now is deliberately nostalgic, and so readily accessible for whatever you're looking for.  The scenes are too diverse to really find much that binds it all together.  Not that it's a bad thing by any means.  Perhaps pop has eaten itself.

Edited by Zephyr_Nova

Every year now I feel more apprehensive than the last about the future of this planet. Granted I've always had anxiety issues, but increasing reports from scientists that it may be too late to reverse climate change this century, at the same time certain world leaders are unwilling to make compromise for the greater good, aren't reassuring.

Yeah, I think an extinction event can't be too far behind at this point.  It's kind of a bummer.  I mean, i guess we've kind of been in the middle of one for a while now, but it'll accelerate fast.  At least these dark times have given rise to dank memes.

Edited by Zephyr_Nova

Don't worry. The upper castes of our global society will take care of themselves with our resources. We're expendable. Bu let's not go down without a fight, shall we? Bring out your inner schwarzeneger/stallone mindset.

Sorry to bum you guys out. But I'm sure things will improve down the road. I think there's increasing awareness and call to transition to renewable energy. But like I said certain demagogues in the world are currently standing in the way, in my own country included.

Speaking of countries, I had Japan dreams two days in a row, yet I haven't been in over a decade. Wonder what that means.

How do Japan dreams differ from normal dreams?

I figure it's like a normal dream but you're in Japan? With lots of anime characters floating around and weird but delicious food everywhere. 

And used panties vending machines dotted around.