IGNORED

Your pointless thoughts & observations

Plum

34 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

Bologna can also be spelled "baloney" or "boloney" or "balony" but not "bolony".  Language is so stupid.

That's baloney!

I'm spending less and less time on YouTube lately. Whereas last year and the year before it sapped countless hours out of my life. I reckon it's for the best.

14 hours ago, ambergonk said:

I'm spending less and less time on YouTube lately. Whereas last year and the year before it sapped countless hours out of my life. I reckon it's for the best.

good that's more watmm time

I just realized today that a tambourine Man could never play a song for anyone. It is impossible to play a song on a tambourine

• Like 1

23 hours ago, marf said:

I just realized today that a tambourine Man could never play a song for anyone. It is impossible to play a song on a tambourine

A tambourine player should be a part of any grindcore band.

If I ever have kids, I'm going to name one of them Doctor so they can get some respect around the playground.

There's three bassy sounds in this track I'm working on: 2 contra bass tracks + 1 pitched tom, all acoustic samples.  I just discovered quite by accident that when I combine them to form a major triad, a harmonic one octave below the root note appears which is VERY prominent and sounds amazing.  It's actually pretty spooky, as the note does note exist anywhere unless you put the 3 together.  Really weird/fascinating.

The pointlessness of this observation is debatable.  I'll make my next one extra pointless to compensate.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

There's three bassy sounds in this track I'm working on: 2 contra bass tracks + 1 pitched tom, all acoustic samples.  I just discovered quite by accident that when I combine them to form a major triad, a harmonic one octave below the root note appears which is VERY prominent and sounds amazing.  It's actually pretty spooky, as the note does note exist anywhere unless you put the 3 together.  Really weird/fascinating.

The pointlessness of this observation is debatable.  I'll make my next one extra pointless to compensate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undertone_series
If a monochord string is lightly damped at the halfway point, then at 1/3, then 1/4, 1/5, etc., then the string will produce the overtone series, which includes the major triad. If instead, the length of the string is doubled in the opposite ratios, the undertones series is produced...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermodulation
In music, for instance, IMD is intentionally applied to electric guitars using overdriven amplifiers or effects pedals to produce new tones at subharmonics of the tones being played on the instrument. See Power chord#Analysis.

sorry if i'm being too pedantic, maybe u already know most of this...

Edited by Tim_J
  • Like 1

working on a theater repeating the same stand up acts over and over really takes all the fun from the acts themselves and you kinda get disappointed at the comedians cause you get to understand that there's no spontaneity whatsoever, even if it looks like there is...

I've been living in California so long that when I see people smoking cigarettes in a movie, I assume they're joints.

I should quit smoking tobacco, it really is the stupidest thing ever. My mind is already all for the idea, but body keeps craving. So every morning is like:

mind: wow, so fresh, really nice
body: *under breath* roll a cigarette
mind: nah, I don't need it
*two hours later*
body: you think you can get away with this? Roll it!
mind: shut up, you don't need it.
body: but I do! Right now.
mind: nah, you're fine.
*an hour later*
body: you know why I'm here
mind: shut up
*half hour later*
body: oh c'mon, it's really nothing. You've done some work, Mind, you deserve it. And you know it feels good for you too.
mind: well...
body: just roll it
mind: you know, if I just ignore you, eventually you will shut up, I have that kind of power...
body: TOBACCO
mind: ...
body: TOBACCO
*ten minutes later*
mind: *occupied*
body: *hands a 50 euro bill to the muscle memory*

• Like 1

I finally encountered what's popularly referred to as a "neck beard".  I was delivering a Subway footlong to the gentleman in question, who indeed had a lush beard which covered only his neck.  He also had a wispy moustache, strikingly incongruent with the fullness of the hair upon his neck.  He lived in a basement suite too, just like the meme said he would.  Anyway, he seemed like a very nice person.

3 hours ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

I finally encountered what's popularly referred to as a "neck beard".  I was delivering a Subway footlong to the gentleman in question, who indeed had a lush beard which covered only his neck.  He also had a wispy moustache, strikingly incongruent with the fullness of the hair upon his neck.  He lived in a basement suite too, just like the meme said he would.  Anyway, he seemed like a very nice person.

Other criteria include:

Fedora

”aaacccchhhhhtttttually”

lots of anime

Telling chicks that GoT “isn’t for the faint of heart”, assuming they haven’t seen it but they have.

libertarian

drinking blue Mountain Dew 

Zelda t shirts

viking-esque hairstyle 

cargo shorts n crocs

Works in IT

Second half of Aerosmith's Night in the Ruts album is basically Led Zeppelin.  

Also, just noticed a squashed dead fly that's stuck to the top corner, bottom half of my lap top that's presumably been there all morning.

On 6/23/2019 at 1:35 AM, Zephyr_Nova said:

It's always weird for me when I meet somebody who completely embodies some stereotype. It's like meeting a mythical creature that you thought doesn't actually exist.

Pointless thought.. I've noticed that cities and towns have a kind of character or personality I like or dislike not depended on how good the place seems on paper. A bit similar to people. Some people have the same taste in music, political views, interests and so on but I can't just get along with them because the personalities don't match. But some people have completely different taste in music, opposite political views and no common interests and we still get along fine.

It's the same with towns and cities with me. The public transport may be good, lots of good restaurants, record shops, cafes, bars but something with the place's character is that I don't like. But another place might lack all the "good things" and I still like it. Some kind of gut feeling how the place just feels, a town personality or character match or mismatch.

9 hours ago, zkom said:

Pointless thought.. I've noticed that cities and towns have a kind of character or personality I like or dislike not depended on how good the place seems on paper. A bit similar to people. Some people have the same taste in music, political views, interests and so on but I can't just get along with them because the personalities don't match. But some people have completely different taste in music, opposite political views and no common interests and we still get along fine.

It's the same with towns and cities with me. The public transport may be good, lots of good restaurants, record shops, cafes, bars but something with the place's character is that I don't like. But another place might lack all the "good things" and I still like it. Some kind of gut feeling how the place just feels, a town personality or character match or mismatch.

I agree with this post and I like the Boston area but I’m also really fucking sick of it. Other places definitely have better character, at least for me. 

I'd very much like to visit USA one day. To see everything, the urban jungle of NYC, the urban hell of Detroit and other cities around lakes Erie and Michigan, the vast steppes and unknown backwater towns of "the Mid", all the way to explore nature of Rockies, Apalachians, Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, down to the deserts of Nevada and the west coast, including LA and SF. I know this is largely due to excess consummation of all kinds of american cinema, novels, and history, but I don't care. This would probably take more than a couple of months to do, and a large amount of money. The latter is especially a problem. So I'm thinking maybe going vagabond style, but that requires a level of courage I'm yet to attain, but mayybee... I mean what do I have to lose...

Going through the Ramones discog, which I did once before maybe... 5 years ago?  My observation is that almost every section of their songs could be considered either a refrain or chorus.  Where the chorus ends and the verse begins is never entirely clear.