IGNORED

Your pointless thoughts & observations

Plum

...still going through that Ramones discog.  These guys probably have more potential hits that never got released as singles than any other band.  Also, their least successful album commercially is also one of their strongest (Too Tough to Die), and it's not because it's their least commercial - quite the contrary.  I mean you couldn't ask for a more anthemic chorus than this one:

The problem insofar as it being a "hit" is that it's got the longest intro of any Ramone song + the listener needs to get through 2 verses and pre-choruses to get there.  But if Warner was actually on top of things they would have pushed for a radio edit (cut that intro in half, lose the 2nd verse/pre-chorus) and this could have easily been that breakout hit they were looking for.  

Edited by Zephyr_Nova
  • Thanks 1

On 6/29/2019 at 2:19 PM, cichlisuite said:

I'd very much like to visit USA one day. To see everything, the urban jungle of NYC, the urban hell of Detroit and other cities around lakes Erie and Michigan, the vast steppes and unknown backwater towns of "the Mid", all the way to explore nature of Rockies, Apalachians, Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, down to the deserts of Nevada and the west coast, including LA and SF. I know this is largely due to excess consummation of all kinds of american cinema, novels, and history, but I don't care. This would probably take more than a couple of months to do, and a large amount of money. The latter is especially a problem. So I'm thinking maybe going vagabond style, but that requires a level of courage I'm yet to attain, but mayybee... I mean what do I have to lose...

I'd like very much to travel the entire route 66, guessing it's as cliché as it gets but hollywood movies printed it in my mind... I'd stop at every gas station to buy beef jerky... and I'd stop on every place in which it looked like somebody got murdered, and would fell right into the trap of a serial killer... no but really, I'd love to... 

2 hours ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

...still going through that Ramones discog.  These guys probably have more potential hits that never got released as singles than any other band. 

That's because it's all pretty much the same song. It's a really, really good song and I love it to death, but the fact that they kept doing it over and over again really didn't help.

22 hours ago, rhmilo said:

That's because it's all pretty much the same song. It's a really, really good song and I love it to death, but the fact that they kept doing it over and over again really didn't help.

Nah, i think that sells them short.  In the beginning their songs were modelled after 50's - early 60's pop hits, but interpreted through distorted power-chords and slightly faster tempos.  That remained a constant throughout their albums, but interspersed with that were more hardcore-punk influenced stuff (a lot of the songs Dee Dee wrote/did lead vox on), and then often a few awkward producer-influenced numbers (let's try synth pop here, okay now this one's gonna be a power ballad, etc.). It's all simple songs insomuch as the chord structure is always quite conventional/predictable, but melodically, rhythmically and song structure-wise they play around a fair bit.  Any time they write a song that pays homage to early Beach Boys tunes, it's always excellent.  I'd be satisfied with a discog filled with just that.

Edited by Zephyr_Nova

On 6/29/2019 at 2:19 PM, cichlisuite said:

The latter is especially a problem. So I'm thinking maybe going vagabond style, but that requires a level of courage I'm yet to attain, but mayybee... I mean what do I have to lose...

Your life, All sets of tires (a few times over), your pride,  possible skin cancer, grizzly bear attack, vanishing, the possibility of breaking down in very bad places, getting mugged or shot from not having developed the American sense of danger detection. And most importantly underestimating the vast distances you just referenced. 

Im just kidding!  Sounds like a lot of fun. Look at Van life videos on YouTube. Try and figure out a way to make a living via the internet. Id love to live out of a van in Yosemite or a few months. 

^ A coworker told me about that yesterday, but didn't mention her name. So I asked, "is that Belle Delphine?" And after a few seconds of examination, he said "yup"

Gotta give her credit tho, she knows how to exploit desperate gamers.

1 hour ago, ambergonk said:

Gotta give her credit tho, she knows how to exploit desperate gamers men.

seems to be a thing nowadays though with different platforms similar to patreon where you "donate" for specific privileges that come with the amount you have contributed. i think this has gained more attention because it's a little more SFW based on the fact that her "fans" are gamers but the troll promising NSFW content was epic and expertly executed 

1 hour ago, Tim_J said:

have you ever noticed those people who are watching comedy movies, who seem to only laugh, or laugh more, when you're next to them? like, giving you cues on the funny parts, but with laughs? it gets on my nerves... 

I knew someone in college who would always try to come across as the alpha male and when he would have a girl over, he would watch Dumb & Dumber and force loud “alpha male”(?) laughter and I can only imagine how awkward this was for a few girls who he never ended up getting with. 

Fake laughter is fucking annoying whoever is doing it.

I once knew a girl that would do that around me and then one day I realised she'd been doing it to get my attention because shed liked me but I'm a stupid boy who's not to privy to that stuff.

Edited by yekker

I think I discovered a viable upgrade for grilled cheese sandwiches. It involves sauteed onion in between two cheese slices in between two bread slices.

1 hour ago, Stickfigger said:

That seems like a fair bit more work for little payoff 

Totally worth it imo. Besides, it'll take even less work the next day or two if you have leftover caramelized onions.

22 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

Green onions are the best grilled cheese addition imo.  Might have a childhood bias there, since my dad used to add them.

Might try those once I use up my current onion supply.

23 hours ago, ambergonk said:

Totally worth it imo. Besides, it'll take even less work the next day or two if you have leftover caramelized onions.

Might try those once I use up my current onion supply.

Just made one with green onion & fried ham, with cheese and fried ham fat flattened into the outer crust.  Definitely one of my better grilled cheese experiences (and I've had thousands, as it has the greatest satisfaction to prep time ratio of any dish out there).

• Like 1

god the days that i used to make tuna melts. i don't even like tuna. but that's another thing usually put some tomato on there too. this is like the bachelor cookbook

2 hours ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

Just made one with green onion & fried ham, with cheese and fried ham fat flattened into the outer crust.  Definitely one of my better grilled cheese experiences (and I've had thousands, as it has the greatest satisfaction to prep time ratio of any dish out there).

Sounds delish. I wonder if pickles on the side would compliment it at all.

2 hours ago, yekker said:

god the days that i used to make tuna melts. i don't even like tuna. but that's another thing usually put some tomato on there too. this is like the bachelor cookbook

A month or so ago I was visiting my mom and she made Big Erics, which were basically sliced of toast with canned tuna mixed with pickle and mayo on top, topped with cheese. Tastes better than it sounds.

• Burger 1