IGNORED

WATMM Album of the Year 2017 Nominations

Rubin Farr

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Adding Freeform - Above/Below/Beyond because Im ashamed of myself for not hearing it until now, and it's honestly probably the best release this year. Amazing shit

Yes. Simon is an underrated genius.

Ole Melonhead has put up his favourite albums of the year

Some interesting picks in there that I'm going to check out sooner or later (Billy Woods, Algiers, Brockhampton, Richard Dawson)

Top 10
Aphex Twin - London 03.06.17 (Digital Edition) - 2017 (Warp)
Barry Lynn - '01 - '04 Tracks - 2017 (Kinnego)
Dopplereffekt - Cellular Automata - 2017 (Leisure System)
Dunal - Dunal Chronicles I - 2017 (No Label)
Jerobeam Fenderson - Oscilloscope Music (Remixes) - 2017 (Ordia Muszc)
Meatbingo - The Error of My WAVs - 2017 (Fonolith)
Mopfunk - Bayba - 2017 (No Label)
NHK yx Koyxen - Exit Entrance - 2017 (DFA)
Rhys Celeste ‎- Microlith - 2017 (Fundamental)
Rognvald - Lord Rover - 2017 (Love Love)

Albums:

AFX - Field Day LP

Archspire - Relentless Mutation

Bell Witch - Mirror Reaper

Blanck Mass - World Eater

Boris - Dear

Broken English Club - The English Beach

Bug Vs Earth - Concrete Desert
Caretaker - Everywhere at the End of Time 2 & 3
Code Orange - Forever

Converge - The Dusk In Us

Dodecahedron - Kwintessens

Elder - Reflections of a Floating World

Emptyset - Borders

Endon - Through The Mirror

Fen - Winter

Gas - Narkopop

The Great Old Ones - EOD: A Tale of Dark Legacy

Here Lies Man - S/T

Kendrick Lamar - Damn

Laurel Halo - Dust

Monolord - Rust

Nthng - It Never Ends

Oto Hiax - S/T

P.O.S. - Chill, Dummy

Pessimist - S/T

Planning For Burial - Below The House

Riyuchi Sakomoto - Async

Sigha - Metabolism

Slowdive - Slowdive

Spectres - Condition

Tzusing - 東方不敗

Vermont - II

Yair Elazar Glotman - Compound

Yellow Eyes - Immersion Trench

Need to add some omissions:

Alessandro Cortini - Avanti

OPN - Good Time Soundtrack

Prurient - Rainbow Mirror

Rainforest Spiritual Enslavement - Ambient Black Magic

In no order. Can't narrow it down to 10 as it depends what mood I'm in.

Hotel Neon - Context

Good Weather For An Airstrike - Little Steps

36 - Black Soma

Syne - Syne

Desolate - Lunar Glyphs

Illuvia - Illuvia

ZVND - Baklava

Autumn Of Communion - Metal

Autumn Of Communion - Broken Apart By Echoes

Plank & Ishq - Zeal Monachorum

Ishq - Sen

Cryostasis - Between Static and Distance

FSOL - Archived Environmental Views

Halftribe - Daydreams In Low Fidelity

Nadia Struiwigh - Lenticular

ASC - Trans-Neptunian Objects

Brainwaltzera - Poly Ana

Trypheme - Online Dating

Biogen - Halogen Continue

Khotin - New Tab

Andrew Heath - Soundings

Comps + Singles

Various - Mono No Aware

Various - Cottage Industries Vol 6 and 7

Various - 3067 Megs

MNLTH - Laser80

Steffi - Fabric 94

In no order. Can't narrow it down to 10 as it depends what mood I'm in.

Hotel Neon - Context

Good Weather For An Airstrike - Little Steps

36 - Black Soma

Syne - Syne

Desolate - Lunar Glyphs

Illuvia - Illuvia

ZVND - Baklava

Autumn Of Communion - Metal

Autumn Of Communion - Broken Apart By Echoes

Plank & Ishq - Zeal Monachorum

Ishq - Sen

Cryostasis - Between Static and Distance

FSOL - Archived Environmental Views

Halftribe - Daydreams In Low Fidelity

Nadia Struiwigh - Lenticular

ASC - Trans-Neptunian Objects

Brainwaltzera - Poly Ana

Trypheme - Online Dating

Biogen - Halogen Continue

Khotin - New Tab

Andrew Heath - Soundings

Comps + Singles

Various - Mono No Aware

Various - Cottage Industries Vol 6 and 7

Various - 3067 Megs

MNLTH - Laser80

Steffi - Fabric 94

Great list! 

May I add bvdub d&b side project East of Oceans - Broken Seas

To Destroy A City - Go Mirage

Last Days - These Places Are Now Ruins 

Mogwai - Every Country's Sun

Hammock - Columbus OST/Mysterium

I edited this post down significantly from a frustrated rant.

It frustrates me how little music made it on this list made by folks on this forum. It frustrates me I did not make it on anyone's list.

I just would like to see more discussion and appreciation of things people here put out. The Artwork thread and the Latest Creations forum are genuinely positive and constructive, but the EKT album forum can be so dead, and that is the culmination of so much of what many of us do, right? if you've been skimming the Boomkat and Bleep lists, and you havent listened to trent hawkins, Auditor, ladalaika, owen gilbride, or whoever else published and posted in EKT this year, why not?

It frustrates me how little music made it on this list made by folks on this forum. It frustrates me I did not make it on anyone's list.

I just would like to see more discussion and appreciation of things people here put out. The Artwork thread and the Latest Creations forum are genuinely positive and constructive, but the EKT album forum can be so dead, and that is the culmination of so much of what many of us do, right? if you've been skimming the Boomkat and Bleep lists, and you havent listened to trent hawkins, Auditor, ladalaika, owen gilbride, or whoever else published and posted in EKT this year, why not?

nice one

Soz, some of us are just lazy/unadventurous. Put together the list and I'll give it a listen!

To be honest and sincere with you I sometimes feel guilty of ignoring the music made by watmm, I've actually told myself its a little rude and ignorant of me. So actually I'm with you, and whole heartedly agree. My honest excuse and defence is that its about time. I just don't have the time, or at least think I don't. Also I don't think I've ever gone over to EKT subforum in my watmm life, which I guess is also a primary reason (but I do sometimes see things dotted about on the main boards) Trust me sometimes I give myself a real hard time about how, who and where I divide my music listening time too! On occasions its a major mind conflict lol, but I've got better with this the last couple of years, (I've learned to master the art of not giving a fuck about having to listen to every new record being released I may or may not like!)

Anyway getting back on track to your point, yes you are right, one should make more of an effort and listen a little to my watmm brethren's music! 

Yeah, finding the time is a big reason.  I've got like a 100+ hours worth of music downloaded that's still waiting to be listened to.  Most of the new albums I listened to this year were from artists I've been a fan of for many years, aside from Igloo Ghost and Jlin, both of whom I found out about through watmm.   And the new Ganus!  Didn't think of that one since it was also a mastering gig, but it is indeed excellent!  But yeah, I look at my downloads folder every day and despair - "when am I ever going to get around to hearing all this???" 

:catfallen: https://nimajeb.bandcamp.com :catfallen:

I look at my downloads folder every day and despair - "when am I ever going to get around to hearing all this???" 

^ I too live this fever dream

Anywho here are my 2017 favs FWIW:

Porter Ricks - Anguilla Electrica

Dopplereffekt - Cellular Automata

Thundercat - Drunk

Laurel Halo - Dust

Four Tet - New Energy

Aleksi Perälä - Simulation

Actress' AZD, Bola's D.E.G, Narkopop, and Clark's Death Perks were all decent but also-rans to the above imho.

Other shit from 2017 that I dug but wouldn't qual for an AOY per se:

Bibio - Beyond :cerious: (ep)

Biosphere - Shenzhou (reissue)

Special Request - Fabriclive 91 (dj mix, need to check out more of his stuff proper)

Jack Peoples - Laptop Cafe (I think this is great, dunno why interest fizzled so fast 'ere, fucking James Stinson transmission from beyond the outer realm and yet we're too busy with dank memes I guess)

Kamasi Washington - Harmony of Difference (ep)

Samiyam - Pizza Party (ep)

Soz that I've pushed 40 and can't keep on the bleeding edge, what diminishing listening hours I still have get shared between stuff I already know & love, exploring the crevasses back through days of yore (there are virtually infinite back catalogs through the most inventive periods of jazz ,dub, electro, hiphop, ambient, etc., which continue to be reshaped by current personal and cultural perspectives), random recommendations here on watmms, whims 'n whatnot.

:catfallen: https://nimajeb.bandcamp.com :catfallen:

Well said Mr Ganus. 

Hope this isn't a rude question at all, but why don't we start an annual EKT Release/Album of the year thread? The idea isn't that the EKT'ers releases are lesser than some of these big acts on these big labels; it might just be a matter of many members not realizing how many great releases come from the EKT group? Maybe a large number of members don't really know about the talent here on watmm, and therefore the releases aren't really on their radar?  

I guess what I'm saying is, would those (often incredible) releases get more exposure by us starting an EKT thread in a similar vein to this one? Help to bring some of those releases some of us might overlook, into an annual spotlight. Cultivate a stronger EKT community etc. It might also encourage artists that aren't currently members to join up and share their music?

Maybe I'm not articulating this properly and if so I apologize. There are so many talented artists here in the forums...

Yeah, I'd be into that!

By the way, I wasnt trying to guilt folks. I totally relate to the dozens or more of unlistened albums, and I have the priviledge of listening to music at work...

Pancreatic carcinogenesis - demo

AFx - LOndon field lp + bonustxxx

thundercat - drunks

John mau5 - screen memories

taake - kong vinter

congrats to the winners :beer:

amazing list ^

gotta' add 'playboy carti - dat plaiboi carti' cause that shit is dooope :datboi:

Archived