IGNORED

LA Wildfires

Nebraska

Maybe the OP didn't say anything because it's so powerful on its own... truly terrifying. As far as I know, my friends out there are safe. Hope the same for all of yours. It is tragic watching the world burn... and there has been SO MUCH of it this year... some of the largest/most expensive in history. Really makes a person feel helpless.

my thoughts have mostly been confusion and sadness. it's bad enough that we just got hit by the worst drought in california history, but now this is shaping up to be the worst fires in the states history. also worrisome has been the wind which has been rather intense- being caused by the fire and also fueling it. 

oh and as always, some of the biggest casualties will be animals

hcMH1GN.jpg

2jZHun8.jpg

fuck. scary shit. what chaos it creates. california is going to be feeling the effects of this a long time. so many people pushed out of places w/already low vacancy rates. rental properties were already thin and now the prices are 3 times what they were.. if not more.. in Sonoma.

it's wild to see this all so close in to LA. fucking belair!

Are carelessly discarded cigarettes and things like that the cause of most of these fires, like Smoky the Bear taught me? or is it something else? 

I'm from Florida and don't know shit about Cali

Are carelessly discarded cigarettes and things like that the cause of most of these fires, like Smoky the Bear taught me? or is it something else? 

I posted a very similar thread to this last year, and I believe the cause of it was a discarded cigarette yeah. I don't think an official cause was ever released but I read reports it was a discarded cigarette. 

The fire eventually grew 1.5 million hectares (3.7 million acres, holy shit) and took 16 months to extinguish =/

https://forum.watmm.com/topic/90601-alberta-fort-mcmurray-wildfires/

sorry, not to detract from the current emergency, just reliving it a bit. Hope they can get it in control in Cali and no more people (heard one died already?) and animals are lost, really sad.

fuck. scary shit. what chaos it creates. california is going to be feeling the effects of this a long time. so many people pushed out of places w/already low vacancy rates. rental properties were already thin and now the prices are 3 times what they were.. if not more.. in Sonoma.

yeah, our homeless population is also increasing because rental prices are always going up. good thing we didn't take bernie sanders seriously when he said the economic inequality is beyond ridiculous 

the last couple of fires we've had here have been arsons. this one two months ago and this one were both arsons. the last fire i remember that was because of a discarded cigarette happened in fresno

most people i've talked to believe these four current fires to also be arsons

arsons and carelessness.. once in a while the tail pipe of a car on the side of the road kicks off a fire in some brush and then the fire explodes because so dry. 

the fire in the columbia river gorge was because a moron who threw some fireworks into a ravine. 

insurance stocks are gonna tank again i think.. hurricanes, fires, floods... yeah.. those fucks better pay out on the claims. 

I like how people are just going about their business like it's nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgCLMI3fgn0

iirc one of those signs has exits listed for UCLA and Bel Air

I know much of LA's outer burbs are in the hills but that's still fucking surreal

I grew up in that area.  Shit is crazy.  I have friends evacuating.

Tuesday night my good friend drove the 101 between Ventucky and Carpinteria right before the flames jumped the highway and hit that strip along the beach with the expensive homes.

Stay safe peeps.

Glad I moved to Oregon though this place goes up like a tinderbox every summer anyway.

there's 80mph winds.  nuts. i lived in san diego when the scrips ranch fire happened and it was huge.. blotted out the sun. it was raining ash for a couple weeks. the palce i worked got evac'd because fire was coming up over a ridge one away from us.. but it was nothing like this fire.. the santan ana winds were bad then but 80mph is crazy. it's bad. 

Last I read, the Sonoma fires were caused by faulty PG&E lines. Which isn't surprising, given they have kind of a shitty track record when it comes to maintenance and safety.

one of my co-workers rented an airbnb for himself and his wife in downtown los angeles because their neighborhood is very close the affected areas and thus- very smokey. the couple they rented from thought they were from out of town, but when they explained they just needed a safe place to spend the night until things calmed down a bit, the couple decided to let them stay over for free until it was safe enough to go back home.

now that's how you spell america

"California deserves whatever it gets. Californians invented the concept of life-style. This alone warrants their doom"

I literally read this moments before these fires started up

Really did, not trying to make light of it, nothing serious to contribute though

Archived