IGNORED

This EDM infested internet. IT SUCKS

belgium is the worst edm cancer stain in the universe

wtf are these people doing? where were the parents at??

Wow.

Just wow.

Hellish nightmare of a DJ set.

Anyone using a mic during a DJ set should be banned from music forever.

And people clapping:please no.

The reality of this situation is would you RATHER have hordes of people like this into the music we love?

I much prefer being the only fuck in a 10 mile radius that knows anything about this shit.  

Call it the backpacker, underground head inside of me.  

The less mainstream mindless drones like the music i listen to, the better I think i'm doing.

Why aren't people interested in something interesting? Sound designing a burp?

If only it was as easy as

making a YouTube video of your own

if only cameras and computers were available to us all.

one day maybe

Be the change

Don't despair, guys. EDM is on its way out. Has anyone noticed the burgeoning genre of funky-groovy-chillvibe-with-some-step-multipliers-thrown-in music that every popular YouTube synth reviewer seems to make?

I think it's called Jam. Because that's they're favorite word. Jam.

Why? Because Jam sounds better than "I spent 6 hours tweaking knobs and dinking around with my expensive toys and spat this out."

Not throwing shade, I mean, I do the same shit but I don't call it jamming to make myself sound cooler.

Wouldn't being a "jam" kind of just by definition require at least two people in the room?

That's a rhetorical question because yes, yes it would.  One person "jamming" is an oxymoron.

These pop EDM type shows are prolly aiiight, except the vibez of the general crowd might be horrible.  Dancing to music is like some ancient tribal shit, and it sucks when your tribe is full of mindless whatever people.  You'd look around and see those people drunkenly/highly being retarded, and then it hits you: "My gawd, these are my people..."  Then you'd think about your life for like a week after that.  Every time I'm out and there's some retarded shit going on, it makes me realize that I'm somehow part of that, which really puts up a massive mirror.

That being said, Fatboy Slim used to play maaassive shows- with tons of "pop people" attending- and he was pretty legit.  So maybe somehow "this type of music" is just legit in a way that maybe a lot of people here don't get.  "I don't even want to get it!"  -And I guess that's part of it.

I think the thing about new EDM is it's more of a DJ tool than something you would actually listen to at home.  The production usually sounds terrible to my ear but that's because I'm not listening to it over a huge, bass heavy PA system, in a big, reverberant room full of people whose bodies soak up all of that awful high end and exaggerated transients hat are actually physically uncomfortable otherwise.  I imagine in the right context it wouldn't bother me.

There was a Deepchord interview posted in one of the threads in General Discussion the other day that says the same kind of stuff, although he's coming at it from a sort of newagey angle that doesn't really mean much to me personally.

Anyway, on the production and sound design side I think a lot of my own issues with it are down to context. 

Archived