IGNORED

How many of you genuinly listen to your own music?

msdos

Back in the day when I was not into harmonic theory I was unable to build the melodies I like so I didn’t like to listen to the end product as I was not able to create a certain mood I was going for. Today I am able to create the melodies I like to create so I really enjoy the music that comes out of that

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love listening to the music I make

Way too much tbh.

In fact there's a direct correlation between the length of time since creation and the enjoyment of a track.

Yep, everything I'm listening to and considering for release atm was made at least 8 years ago.

Somebody has to.

I usually enjoy my music cause usually i make stuff that invoke feelings in me that i cant find elsewhere. To me it doesnt matter who made a track, me or someone else. But therez that other part of the story -> enjoyment of the creative process.

I have more music by me than i do by anybody else so therefore i probably listen to my music more than anybody elses. This has been going on for 20+ yrs. When i am drunk some of my muisc is my favoirite muaic ever.

I have more music by me than i do by anybody else so therefore i probably listen to my music more than anybody elses. This has been going on for 20+ yrs. When i am drunk some of my muisc is my favoirite muaic ever.

I totally feel you on the drunk factor.

Me too

The music I made when I began using electronic software baffles me to this day: arrhythmic, ear-splitting noise mixed with ambience. Considering I mostly listened to nu-metal back then, why I made the music I did is something I have yet to fathom. I listen to it now with curiosity and a strange feeling of satisfaction. Mostly

The music I now make (when I manage to do any) is way more melodic and easier on the ear. I enjoy listening to those much more (but mostly end up thinking "eh, if only I'd done this better...").

To be fair, I wonder/doubt if any of those artists we idolize enjoy their own music to that extent. 

Allegedly Prince listened exclusively to his own music but I have a feeling that's an exaggeration.

Haha yeah. Love to put my own music when I'm in control of the sound at whatever party - but I'm usually the only one enjoying it !

Also regarding the "idol" thing : to me, not knowing how a certain track was made and dreaming about the artist twiddling stuff in his studio is a massive part of my "idolization" process. I guess that's just another way of enjoying the creative process :)

Yep, everything I'm listening to and considering for release atm was made at least 8 years ago.

Yeah, I've got a pile of tracks, maybe three hours of stuff, mostly lnger 6-10 minute things, that I did between 2012 and 2014 when I was getting back in to making electronic music after taking a break of almost a decade and jsut playing guitar in bands a LOT without doing more than one or two pieces a year on my own, if that.  Everything was built up in hardware with an MPC, TX802, Quadrasynth, Redsound Elevata (all stuff that I either had left from college or could get really cheap) and a few 90s pro-sumer effects units, through a not very good (also 90s) line mixer with one aux send and no EQ, all the mixing was done in the synth programming and arrangement.  At the time I started to get frustrated by the lack of control and went back to multitracking stuff and being more deliberate about arrangements rather than jamming them out in real time with MPC track mutes and knob twiddling, but lately I've been listening to them again and wishing the stuff I did now sounded as spontaneous and raw as they do, and I'm slowly paring it down into an album worth of tracks I can master and release somehow, instead of putting the finishing touches on the mixes of the album worth of stuff I did last winter and was really happy with at the time but can't even listen to right now.  That's always how it goes, I need to have a year or two of distance before I can really appreciate stuff once it's done.  I usually like it a lot when I first finish it and then get burned out and ignore it for a while before I make any final decision on whether anyone else needs to hear it.

I've also got 2 or 3 full albums worth of weird, lo-fi stuff I did in college around 1999-2002 that needs revisiting.

I've also got 2 or 3 full albums worth of weird, lo-fi stuff I did in college around 1999-2002 that needs revisiting.

I am very interested in hearing this.

I have similar stuff made at a similar time. First laptop and wanting to be autechre and just collaging sounds I recorded via the inbuilt laptop mic

To be fair, I wonder/doubt if any of those artists we idolize enjoy their own music to that extent. 

Allegedly Prince listened exclusively to his own music but I have a feeling that's an exaggeration.

beethoven too  :emotawesomepm9:

I am very interested in hearing this.

I have similar stuff made at a similar time. First laptop and wanting to be autechre and just collaging sounds I recorded via the inbuilt laptop mic

It was the first time I was ale to actually do stuff ITB since I had an actual interface and a mighty PII 450, so I had no clue what I was doing.  I had a TX802 and a Korg Poly61m and that's basically it (I miss that Poly61m every day, selling it for $80  back in the mid 2000s was one of the worse decisions I've ever made as far as gear goes).

Anyhow, I have it all o an external drive that's not with me, but I could dig some stuff up to share next week.

I like listening to my music, and it definitely helps if I consider the track finished. Sometimes I regret a track on a published release, and I'll skip those almost every time.

I cry when I listen to my music on shrooms, because I connect emotionally to what I was trying to express, sometimes better than I did while writing the piece. I want to delete all the music I've ever written when I'm on acid. I prefer the shrooms.

I like listening to my music, and it definitely helps if I consider the track finished. Sometimes I regret a track on a published release, and I'll skip those almost every time.

I cry when I listen to my music on shrooms, because I connect emotionally to what I was trying to express, sometimes better than I did while writing the piece. I want to delete all the music I've ever written when I'm on acid. I prefer the shrooms.

I tried listening to my own music the first time I dropped acid but I made it about two minutes and had to stop.  Not because it was bad but because I was so familiar with it that it kept reminding me of exactly how much time had passed and I didn't want to know how much time had passed.

You're wondering if you think its shit, or if others think its shit?

if i think it's shit.. if i've changed what i think about it.. sometimes i'll listen to hear how something as aged if it has aged or whatever.. how dated does something sound.. but i don't stress over it.. it's mostly curiosity or listening to something that i haven't listened to in a long time.  or wanting to hear a certain sound or part of a song. 

You're wondering if you think its shit, or if others think its shit?

if i think it's shit.. if i've changed what i think about it.. sometimes i'll listen to hear how something as aged if it has aged or whatever.. how dated does something sound.. but i don't stress over it.. it's mostly curiosity or listening to something that i haven't listened to in a long time.  or wanting to hear a certain sound or part of a song. 

I think that's a beautiful thing really. The creative process is something else entirely. You're putting your thoughts/emotions into some medium; of course your perception of it will change and you might think it's shit, others might relate to it. But at least you had that outlet for the time being.

Mostly nostalgia but I prefer listening to the first steps in music over current stuff, extra warm feelings if a forgotten track is found on a cassette or disk, like time portals to other feels :).

I think a good way to listen to your music is together with people whose opion you trust, it's like hearing with extra sets of ears, being extra critical of what is working and what not at least in my experience.

Archived