IGNORED

How many of you genuinly listen to your own music?

msdos

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I listen to my own music quite often, but as some said before I need to take a few months break after making the track before attempting to listen to it.

Usually the reaction is one of these:

- "Why the fuck did I do that?"

- "How the fuck did I do that?"

- "This brings back so many memories. *sob* *sob*"

would be interesting to listen to snippets/or finished versions of the tracks which still touches you emotionally because of various personal/unpersonal reasons.

It doesn't really correlate with how good they are but here are few. They're all from 2015, but that was one hell of a year.

I was dreaming about the place where I made this last night so it feels very personal now:

You're wondering if you think its shit, or if others think its shit?

if i think it's shit.. if i've changed what i think about it.. sometimes i'll listen to hear how something as aged if it has aged or whatever.. how dated does something sound.. but i don't stress over it.. it's mostly curiosity or listening to something that i haven't listened to in a long time.  or wanting to hear a certain sound or part of a song. 

I think that's a beautiful thing really. The creative process is something else entirely. You're putting your thoughts/emotions into some medium; of course your perception of it will change and you might think it's shit, others might relate to it. But at least you had that outlet for the time being.

was thinking about this this morning..  sometimes i want to hear a thing i did w/some software or hardware.. like the modular.. i i want to hear that sound i made that was a one time thing that won't happen again.  

Guest Chesney

If I feel a track is finished then I can turn off the producer brain and enjoy it. Or If I feel it's not good enough  or just don't like it and has come to the end of the road tinkering wise, it just gets chalked up as experience. Basically, a track is never finished, it just morphs until either these the previous two scenarios happen.

The goal is to love the end product enough to listen amongst the music I listen to for enjoyment. Well, actually the main goal is to enjoy every process and sound whether anything gets finished or not.

Im gonna be very honest here.

Im very afraid that i suffer from a case of NarcissiscalAphexism and that

whisper:(my own music is pretty much my favorite music.)

Guest Chesney

That's so rad man, you have won, you are enlightened and I salute you.

not even being sarcastic, it's what we need to be striving for rather than fame and notoriety.

Agree with fxbip. If you don't like the stuff you're making, why bother? 

I listen to the stuff I haven't uploaded online more than the stuff I've released but then I still listen to that stuff too. 

Agree with fxbip. If you don't like the stuff you're making, why bother?

It keeps me off the streets.

But yeah, I agree with this too, I just need a break between when I finish something and when I can really enjoy it fully, because I'm usually burned out on it by the time it's done.

yeah same, and this has been the case since i was 19 & reached the point where i could recreate the things i'd been hearing in my head my whole life. the only real exception these days is when i hear something new that blows my mind & is totally different from anything i've encountered.

I don't wanna say "i can hear any track & eventually break it down & recapture everything i like about it in a new piece", because that's definitely not true on a technical level (dunno how to play instruments or sing like a pro, dunno jack all about mastering, don't usually have the attention span to make super complex tracks), but on an emotional level i've yet to find myself in a situation where there's a feeling i'm feeling that i can't find a way to express via my particular sound

yeah same, and this has been the case since i was 19 & reached the point where i could recreate the things i'd been hearing in my head my whole life. the only real exception these days is when i hear something new that blows my mind & is totally different from anything i've encountered.

I don't wanna say "i can hear any track & eventually break it down & recapture everything i like about it in a new piece", because that's definitely not true on a technical level (dunno how to play instruments or sing like a pro, dunno jack all about mastering, don't usually have the attention span to make super complex tracks), but on an emotional level i've yet to find myself in a situation where there's a feeling i'm feeling that i can't find a way to express via my particular sound

Yeah, for me the thing that makes other people's music exciting to listen to is when the atist's personal voice is front and center and I feel like there is no way I could een have possibly done what they dd.  Technical sophistication has nothing to do with it, and actually hat's about the least important thing.  Really technically tight stuff (whether it's musicianship or production quality or mastery of theory or whatever) can definitely raise a strong creative voice to a whole other level but on its own it's pretty meaningless to me, if not out right counterproductive.  When something is all flash and technique I just come away from it thinking that I (or anyone else) could sit down and train intensively and ultimately achieve more or less the same thing given the same equipment. It gets a bit murkier in electronic music because to some degree it's inherently technical and mediated by technology (the same sequence on the same synth will sound the same no matter who programmed it and so on), so a more clearcut example would be that a shred guitarist like, I don't know, Joe Satriani can play hours of solos without moving me a bit, but Link Ray could play one chord and make the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

If I'm listening to the equivalent of the shred solo in that example then it doesn't take too long before I feel like I'm wasting time I could spend making my own music, but if it's the equivalent of the Link Wray chord then it's giving me something I could never get from my own music, because even if I made something that I liked just as much it would still be completely different.

That's all kind of clunky and full of half assed analogies but it's the best I can do.

That's all kind of clunky and full of half assed analogies but it's the best I can do.

nah nah i get it. it's also a good way of getting over the "i'll never be as good as *insert idol*" block that plagues many starting artists. Accept right off the bat that you'll never be able to recapture the exact feeling you've experienced from any particular artist, because that feeling was the result of a unique voice speaking to the person you were at that moment in time. You'll never get that back - hell, you won't even be able to get back the feelings your own music might have given you at some point in the past (the phex man himself stated in an interview that he tried to recreate the feeling of SAW-era tracks many years later & was totally unable to). Instead, choose to pursue the new undefined thing that's coming up in you right now. That's where the mystery is. And it probably doesn't quite sound or feel like anything you've done or encountered before, and because of that you might create it & immediately say "oh, that's a disappointment", because it doesn't quite resemble the thing you were trying to mimic. But in time maybe you'll find enough distance to look back at that thing & judge it by it's own merits, and in doing so discover an entirely new idea that none of your favourite artists ever came close to!

nah nah i get it. it's also a good way of getting over the "i'll never be as good as *insert idol*" block that plagues many starting artists. Accept right off the bat that you'll never be able to recapture the exact feeling you've experienced from any particular artist, because that feeling was the result of a unique voice speaking to the person you were at that moment in time. You'll never get that back - hell, you won't even be able to get back the feelings your own music might have given you at some point in the past (the phex man himself stated in an interview that he tried to recreate the feeling of SAW-era tracks many years later & was totally unable to). Instead, choose to pursue the new undefined thing that's coming up in you right now. That's where the mystery is. And it probably doesn't quite sound or feel like anything you've done or encountered before, and because of that you might create it & immediately say "oh, that's a disappointment", because it doesn't quite resemble the thing you were trying to mimic. But in time maybe you'll find enough distance to look back at that thing & judge it by it's own merits, and in doing so discover an entirely new idea that none of your favourite artists ever came close to!

DITTO

hqdefault.jpghqdefault.jpgpost-19174-0-12421500-1515093318_thumb.jpg

One of my favorite things to do is after weeks of working on a track finally be done and get drunk and listen to it a whole bunch of times.  No better feeling than just completing something you like a lot-- and enjoying it.

Well, I recognize that listening to my own music is always going to have a significantly greater impact for myself personally than someone else's music is.  Like, I'm not going to feel a sense of pride and accomplishment listening to my favorite Autechre track.  And there will always be certain emotional attachments to my own music that I'm not going to get elsewhere.  But I seldom listen back to my old music, since I'm always more interested in what I'm doing currently.  The day I finish the final mastering on an album is often the last time I will listen to the whole thing in sequence, unless I'm debuting it for friends who want to hear it.  A lot of my music is up there with my favorite music to listen to when I'm first finishing it and listening back.  But it seldom remains that way.  I recently finished an album that I think may finally pass that test though.  Time will tell... unless i never bother listening back to find out, which may well be the case.

Archived