IGNORED

How many of you genuinly listen to your own music?

msdos

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

personally i think hating your own music is idm as fuck

hating your own music = normal

hating your own music after multiple people tell you they enjoy it = IDM

What if you hate it AND enjoy listening to it?

WATMM   :emotawesomepm9:

then you’re squarepusher

Sometimes I put all my works in progress renders in shuffle playlist to try and decide which one to finish or steal ideas from, and every once and a while I get something I forgot I made and it sounds really nice.

I then proceed to try to finish it and kill exactly the thing that was making it special.

I then proceed to try to finish it and kill exactly the thing that was making it special.

Haha, yeah, this.

For me it's when I'm basically done but the mix is only like 90% there.  It's that last 10% where I overthink everything and wreck it.

i generally feel like i'm pretty good at not over thinking my trax but i've still had ppl say the goofy unreleased demos are what they prefer over my own album picks (might just be difference of taste tho)

i used to really like saving up shitloads of really sparse track skeletons that i'd be constantly cranking out, and then mix them in DJ software & discover all sorts of multi-track layerings that felt like they were supposed to go together. but now i just have a 10 year old netbook & it's too slooowww to mix with the software i was using before (any suggestions for low-cpu DJing?)

I fucking hate mixing! Lately I've been forcing myself to use a limited number of instruments/tracks, like they used to do in analog studios when single instruments took up the left/right/center channels etc... It's been working out pretty well, and afterwords there tends to be a lot less mixing needing to be done. 

Can't smoke anymore but weed used to be the best thing for listening back to my own music. Bad tracks would stand out straight away.

Gave me the ability to remove myself from my own tunes but also be super critical of them at the same time. 

Miss it a lot for this reason. Have to rely on my sober mind now

Usually let a song digest for a good few months and if it still keeps me intrigued, it's a keeper. 

I fucking hate mixing! Lately I've been forcing myself to use a limited number of instruments/tracks, like they used to do in analog studios when single instruments took up the left/right/center channels etc... It's been working out pretty well, and afterwords there tends to be a lot less mixing needing to be done. 

I've been pretending the computer is a 24 track reel to reel with a 32 channel mixer ( 24 channels of audio and 8 aux channels) for a couple years and it's a great limitation (I rarely even useall 24 TBH), but I've always loved mixing, maybe more than anything else.  Sometimes I think I make music just to have something to mix.

Cryptowen: I'd often had the same experience, people being way more into early versions/what I felt were 'unfinished' tracks, but eventually I've started to change how I assess tracks as part of that. I think it's forced me to grow and look at tracks from different perspectives, definitely more comfortable putting out stuff that's rough or unrefined.

ceiling: I think that's the first non-medical use of weed I've heard of that's constructive! ;) Sucks you can't use that technique for now.

thawkins/RSP: definitely agree with the tweaking out that magic from a track. I think I've gotten better but I still try to do it all the time.

edit: it's assess not asses.

Weirdly, being drunk helps me assess EQ issues in mixes.  I think it's because my drunk brain notices things sounding muddled since it has a harder time focusing.  So I really notice any problem areas in the lower mids, or if parts are fatiguing to listen to, since my ability to isolate individual parts diminishes.  Drunk listening demands extra clarity for things to come across as coherent, so it forces me to mix from that perspective.  Then when I finally do listen back sober everything sounds so much cleaner than it did prior to the drunk mix session.  It's pretty counterintuitive, but so far it's always yielded good results.  Might also be because I'm more of a dick when I'm drunk, so I'll just be harder on the mix in general.  Less things sound acceptable to me in that state.  I love the mix phase right up until I get to the really nitpicky shit.  But once I finally do resolve every minor problem it's so satisfying and worth it. 

I often find myself imitating that hard left/hard right or centre approach that recordings used back when those were the only options.  Less so for electronic music, but frequently for band/songwriter stuff.

i generally feel like i'm pretty good at not over thinking my trax but i've still had ppl say the goofy unreleased demos are what they prefer over my own album picks (might just be difference of taste tho)

i used to really like saving up shitloads of really sparse track skeletons that i'd be constantly cranking out, and then mix them in DJ software & discover all sorts of multi-track layerings that felt like they were supposed to go together. but now i just have a 10 year old netbook & it's too slooowww to mix with the software i was using before (any suggestions for low-cpu DJing?)

I actually want to do something like that as well, but I keep getting hung at the point where this requires me to record all the clips/phrases into audio which means I can not arrange chords or transpose or match rhythms in the DJ software. I am not sure whether my tracks are even different enough that I need those abilities, so it is probably me overthinking the whole deal.

However my solution for making things easy on the computer is just to use my external synthesizers for all actual sound generation, so all the PC has to do is just loop some MIDI and maybe do some limited looping capability and some effects.

Can't smoke anymore but weed used to be the best thing for listening back to my own music. Bad tracks would stand out straight away.

Gave me the ability to remove myself from my own tunes but also be super critical of them at the same time. 

Usually let a song digest for a good few months and if it still keeps me intrigued, it's a keeper. 

I know exactly what you mean with weed, though my experience often was that I tended to like damn near everything that we played when we had smoked. But generally it was also a good way to do quality control after the fact.

However on the other hand I have made almost all my solo music after I stopped smoking, so it has been a miracle for productivity. Sometimes I find that I can trick my head into getting that same feeling that I had after smoking, so it's pretty much the same thing.

I've been pretending the computer is a 24 track reel to reel with a 32 channel mixer ( 24 channels of audio and 8 aux channels) for a couple years and it's a great limitation (I rarely even useall 24 TBH), but I've always loved mixing, maybe more than anything else.  Sometimes I think I make music just to have something to mix.

I have been trying to do something like that as well recently. Ideally I would like the computer to be just a recording and DSP unit, and while playing and recording I interact with it as little as possible, but to get to that point I still feel I have to figure out how to build my Live set so that I can tweak and route things more easily.

I know exactly what you mean with weed, though my experience often was that I tended to like damn near everything that we played when we had smoked. But generally it was also a good way to do quality control after the fact.

However on the other hand I have made almost all my solo music after I stopped smoking, so it has been a miracle for productivity. Sometimes I find that I can trick my head into getting that same feeling that I had after smoking, so it's pretty much the same thing.

Very similar to my life path so far. Used to be in a band which is when i smoked way too much but we all used to get super high after recording and listen back to it. Was like hearing the stuff for the first time, little nuances we hadn't noticed would stick out and completely blow our minds haha. I could look around the room and see everyone completely stoned but listening so intently, was a great time! 

Band broke up and I started doing my own stuff on a laptop. For a short time I was still smoking during this period. Once I'd packed it in though, like you said, my productivity went next level.

But for that brief period of doing my own stuff, weed was such a great ego remover. It was like some crazy paradox of being able to feel like i was somebody else listening to my own stuff, but at the same time being able to pick it apart and listen out for those nuances that i hadn't heard before, for better or worse. Through the weed I was listening to my own stuff passively but not passively at the same time. No wonder i had to give it up hahaha

On another point

has anyone ever had a rush from listening to their own stuff? 

I'll be staring a tune, lay down the drums, melody, add fx and a bit of mixing etc. listen back to it and then i get this feeling of like fuck this is really good! it only lasts about 10 minutes before i start coming down and feeling like meh, actually its only OK. But for those 10 minutes its like euphoric, i'll be playing it over and over again on my headphones dancing around the room, completely hyped on my own stuff hahahaha. Doesn't last long but its fun whilst it lasts. 

I tend to use this feeling of euphoria i get with some tracks as a thing to lean on when going through the process of hating it and then having to spend another few weeks of working on it more, mixing it. Slowly starts to lose its appeal but i always try to remember that first rush i got as a reminder that it might be worth carrying on with the track. 

Apologies if my writings a bit poor. I'm savage dyslexic so try to avoid long posts but got carried away. 

I'll be staring a tune, lay down the drums, melody, add fx and a bit of mixing etc. listen back to it and then i get this feeling of like fuck this is really good! it only lasts about 10 minutes before i start coming down and feeling like meh, actually its only OK. But for those 10 minutes its like euphoric, i'll be playing it over and over again on my headphones dancing around the room, completely hyped on my own stuff hahahaha. Doesn't last long but its fun whilst it lasts.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes. If I did not get that rush every once and a while, I probably would not be making music. Having to repeatedly listen and mix the thing does tend to kill it a lot though.

The title of this thread makes me wonder how many musicians out there limit themselves strictly to composing, without listening to how their music sounds.

The title of this thread makes me wonder how many musicians out there limit themselves strictly to composing, without listening to how their music sounds.

Well in the world of electronic music that would seem weird because the composition process and the sound design often go hand in hand.

But I know I'd be happy if I could just record stuff without caring about mixing or stuff like that - hate those.

beethoven's syndrome :)

It would at least be an interesting exercise to try and compose a complete song by sight alone. Maybe a challenge is in order :)

Qebrus did this last year, it was on his bandcamp page but can't see it now.  Was pretty insane.

It would at least be an interesting exercise to try and compose a complete song by sight alone. Maybe a challenge is in order :)

it was done before, many times

1200px-Mona_Lisa%2C_by_Leonardo_da_Vinci

Archived