IGNORED

Richard Devine - Sort​\​Lave

cear

This album is really starting to grow on me ! I'm less distracted by the sound design and can really focus in on the sequencing / events ... opening up for me in a big way .

Is there any info as to how this album was put together ? I've read here modular but I cannot understand how this can be

There's some details toward the end of this interview. http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2018/11/02/richard-devine-interview-on-making-his-new-album-sortlave/

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only about halfway through but it sounds real good. Definitely some moments that sound like Autechre. Kind of have to be in a specific mood for it though.

This is one of those goddamn albums that makes me question my own taste. I cannot get myself to enjoy Revsic and much of the album, but then find Oustrue and Astra to be masterpieces. Does my stupid brain insist on a melody as a prerequisite for "music", regardless of other merits? Am I an unrefined listener?

Edit: Takara closes the album purely to taunt me.

This is one of those goddamn albums that makes me question my own taste. I cannot get myself to enjoy Revsic and much of the album, but then find Oustrue and Astra to be masterpieces. Does my stupid brain insist on a melody as a prerequisite for "music", regardless of other merits? Am I an unrefined listener?

Well I feel pretty much the same way — especially about Oustrue and Astra. But I do feel while the others aren’t as easily digestible, they help balance out the album.

This is one of those goddamn albums that makes me question my own taste. I cannot get myself to enjoy Revsic and much of the album, but then find Oustrue and Astra to be masterpieces. Does my stupid brain insist on a melody as a prerequisite for "music", regardless of other merits? Am I an unrefined listener?

We all have our own tastes, nothing wrong with that. I don't require melody but it's not about refinement it's just me. I used to like to fall asleep listening to household appliance drones when I was a kid...

To be fair though, in some of the tracks that don't sound overtly melodic there is some tonal stuff buried in the mixes. It's not like, super melodious just subtle and I'm hearing more of it with repeat listens that I didn't the first few times through.

Can't praise it enough, gives me draft and xanopticon on rukqs vibes and i wanne listen 2 it everyday.

Weird that every autechre/afx fart gets so much love and then we get an album like this and few people talk about it.

Whatever, one of the best things i heard this year

Can't praise it enough, gives me draft and xanopticon on rukqs vibes and i wanne listen 2 it everyday.

Weird that every autechre/afx fart gets so much love and then we get an album like this and few people talk about it.

Whatever, one of the best things i heard this year

Total agreement... I've appreciated the technicality in his prior work, but this is the album that does it for me, feels like his ideas have finally gelled in a superb way.

Oh well, at least he got this: https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/dance/8485269/billboard-dance-chart-upstarts-galantis-paul-oakenfold-richard-devine

Didn't listen to Sort\Lave yet but had the good fortune to attend his gig in Tokyo last Sat and it was total blast. Interesting organic yet rythmic structures morphing into danceable heavy bass bangers against totally alien atmos and environments. Glad that we have Rich here in our time/space knot.

Gave this a listen for the first time last night and was really blown away.  Devine is an absolute master of composition on pretty much every level.  Definitely gets the crown for sound design, but he's even got the melodic side on display in a way that was absent from his previous work.

Gave this a listen for the first time last night and was really blown away. Devine is an absolute master of composition on pretty much every level. Definitely gets the crown for sound design, but he's even got the melodic side on display in a way that was absent from his previous work.

This.

• 4 months later...

Yeah, Autechre are really pioneers of a genre that was never given a trendy name, and Richard Devine has his own take on the style.  Qebrus is another example.  You guys know what I'm talking about.  It's the Autechre branch of IDM that has nothing to do with Squarepusher, BOC et al.

• 1 month later...

Archived