IGNORED

Is Syro Underrated...

flacid

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*oops*

I played Geogaddi yesterday for the first time in ages and I remembered back in the day I didn't like that, (or indeed BOC) compared to Aphex or Autechre. Highly likely my attitude will change with Syro.

I think that's the stroke of genius, creating music that evolves over time.

Not my favorite album, but fuck, it's just such an otherworldly album, isn't it? I'm just grateful we get to hear such a talented and prolific musician at the top of his game releasing some great tracks, that are undoubtedly not his even best work at the moment. It will take many years before the rest of techno catches up with that level of quality, if ever. He's on another plane of music altogether, that much is evident.

I'm not saying that others aren't as technically proficient or can't make complex tracks, just not in the same compositional areas that he works in specifically.

Dont know why I feel the world needs my opinion on this, but what the hell, right? It's an electronic music forum. :shrug:

minipops 67, xmas eve and 4bit just blew my mind because we finally got to hear the wizard level 2006 braindance on our own speakers. wish i could hear them unmastered

animwiz.gif

I have recently been exploring 90s jungle/DnB a bit and s950tx16wasr10 (earth portal mix)  feels like such a solid emulation of those styles. I especially find similarities to Foul Play (my new obsession.)

Listen to the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrSVAvOBHKc

EDIT:

This sound is like straight up used in the track 

part of my distaste for this album comes probably from it being spread over 3 LPs and thus it being a pain in the ass to play

Be thankful you don't own Rushup Edge

dunno about that

DS8Xta9.png

I love rushup edge. I know how much my copy is worth but I would never let go of it. Just need to get my hands on drukqs 180 gram vinyl

just got 3 copies of the Tuss thing in the mail, PM me your best Aphex Twin fanfic and I'll give away 2 copies to the best writers (you pay for shipping)

Yes, that's AWESOME!!!

Really Cool of you span!!!

More belongings should be shared or given away :)

YOU made my night with your Thoughtfulness and all round Goodness :)

part of my distaste for this album comes probably from it being spread over 3 LPs and thus it being a pain in the ass to play

Be thankful you don't own Rushup Edge

dunno about that

DS8Xta9.png

You're not thinking about selling those two copies instead of giving them away are you?

Listening and Dancing to RDJ's music is more valuable than money

:aphexsign:

• 1 month later...

I think this one will take quite a while for alot of us, me included, to fully grasp it's brilliance. I agreed on day 1 it was a production masterpiece, with some really transcending grooves and melodies at times, but it still didn't satisfy me in the way some of his more hypnotic atmposheric work does. However, I think as it agea, it will, like druqks did, take some time to settle in :)

Yeah man... I think a key difference is the place RDJ was coming from, in comparison to the sharp, manic energy of drukqs, and the fuzzy laid back energy of RDJ in his mid 20s, and the weird, unearthly sound of discovery from his teenage years. Syro is a middle aged dad IDM album, in the best sense possible. It's wise and quirky, with a sense of humor, but also a deep darkness lurking in places, rather than the angst of earlier dark 'phex. I feel like the darkness in certain tracks from Drukqs & Syro all perfectly describe the adult experience of mental illness and unease. Drukqs being a manic dive into those feelings, and Syro being a mature reaction to it, where he cherishes the moments of victory and beauty, but the dark just kinda keeps creeping back into the tracks and he lets it. It's unforced. I dunno. Hard to describe. I find them both very relatable.

No one else agreed with you outright, so I felt I had to reply to bump it.

There's a darkness/alienation feel across his output, and reading it over time is definitely a worthwhile thread to connect IMO.

Archived