IGNORED

Cryptocurrency as the next significant stage for computing technology, not just an investment

andihow

1 hour ago, chenGOD said:

https://www.superworldapp.com/

Mmmmm crypto capitalism

flol. The savory characters they "partner with" aka pay to promote their pyramid scheme, you just cant make that shit up.  The testimonials so obviously peppered with fomo-triggering buzzwords to prey on people's anxieties

Mmlhi2T.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Cryptocurrency problems are more subtle than outright abuse, too. The integrity and trust of the entire software industry has sharply declined due to cryptocurrency. It sets up perverse incentives for new projects, where developers are no longer trying to convince you to use their software because it’s good, but because they think that if they can convince you it will make them rich. I’ve had to develop a special radar for reading product pages now: a mounting feeling of dread as a promising technology is introduced while I inevitably arrive at the buried lede: it’s more crypto bullshit. Cryptocurrency is the multi-level marketing of the tech world. “Hi! How’ve you been? Long time no see! Oh, I’ve been working on this cool distributed database file store archive thing. We’re doing an ICO next week.” Then I leave. Any technology which is not an (alleged) currency and which incorporates blockchain anyway would always work better without it.

[...]

Cryptocurrency is one of the worst inventions of the 21st century. I am ashamed to share an industry with this exploitative grift. It has failed to be a useful currency, invented a new class of internet abuse, further enriched the rich, wasted staggering amounts of electricity, hastened climate change, ruined hundreds of otherwise promising projects, provided a climate for hundreds of scams to flourish, created shortages and price hikes for consumer hardware, and injected perverse incentives into technology everywhere. Fuck cryptocurrency.

Cryptocurrency Is An Abject Disaster (Drew DeVault)

• Like 4

7 hours ago, dcom said:

this is pretty ignorant of the depravity and waste of the existing software industry.  it's only a symptom of capitalism.  who are these people with free money to invest in bullshit?  it's hilarious how cryptocurrency is used as a scapegoat for capitalism's issues.  all of these complaints are with CAPITALISM. 

• Facepalm 1

17 minutes ago, cyanobacteria said:

this is pretty ignorant of the depravity and waste of the existing software industry.  it's only a symptom of capitalism.  who are these people with free money to invest in bullshit?  it's hilarious how cryptocurrency is used as a scapegoat for capitalism's issues.  all of these complaints are with CAPITALISM. 

and how would cryptocurrency run under communism?

9 minutes ago, cichlisuite said:

and how would cryptocurrency run under communism?

it would be a part of internet directly integrated and standardized and heavily integrated with user-facing distributed consensus protocols used to control the means of production and vote.  this requires certain preconditions, such as free and open source software and hardware, and a good distribution of microchip manufacturing both in terms of the technology of the implementation and the control of the means of production associated with those microchips consolidated under the hands of the working class in a distributed way.  the "currency" aspect can be removed and instead converted into a token based method providing a steady stream of voting tokens to each person who requests them, anonymizable and spendable to addresses representing the votes of those people, which can be audited for correctness but not traced back to anyone. this requires public understanding of the technology and public control of the emission of these tokens.  there are more nuances here but this is the gist

On 4/29/2021 at 5:19 AM, dcom said:

interesting how they phrase this.  "bitcoin mining" rather than "people mining bitcoin" rather than "capitalists gladly sell electricity to bitcoin miners cheaply despite it sometimes not being green energy"

• 2 weeks later...

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/05/pipeline-attacker-darkside-suddenly-goes-dark-heres-what-we-know/

It’s also feasible that close tracking by an organization like Chainalysis identified wallets that received funds from Darkside, and law enforcement subsequently confiscated the holdings. Indeed, Elliptic, a separate blockchain analytics company, reported finding a Bitcoin wallet used by DarkSide to receive payments from its victims. On Thursday, Elliptic reported, it was emptied of $5 million.

At the moment, it's not known if that transfer was initiated by the FBI or another law enforcement group, or by Darkside itself. Either way, Elliptic said the wallet—which since early March had received 57 payments from 21 different wallets—provided important clues for investigators to follow.

“What we find is that 18% of the Bitcoin was sent to a small group of exchanges,” Elliptic Co-founder and Chief Scientist Tom Robinson wrote. “This information will provide law enforcement with critical leads to identify the perpetrators of these attacks.”

cryptocurrencies: super anonymous and private. even 'professional' international hacking organizations can get their wallets just accidentally discovered and used to track their friends and foes.

54 minutes ago, auxien said:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/05/pipeline-attacker-darkside-suddenly-goes-dark-heres-what-we-know/

cryptocurrencies: super anonymous and private. even 'professional' international hacking organizations can get their wallets just accidentally discovered and used to track their friends and foes.

everyone knows bitcoin is not private against well funded blockchain analysis so this is a strawman.  these guys are pretty dumb

11 minutes ago, cyanobacteria said:

everyone knows bitcoin is not private against well funded blockchain analysis so this is a strawman.  these guys are pretty dumb

they didn't say anything about bitcoin's privacy or lack thereof, that was me being/seeming dumb. anonymity is tied to privacy in my mind even tho bitcoin is inherently 'public' in some ways. its supposed anonymity doesn't really matter if wallets can be stumbled across and their owners deduced/discovered tho, that's my takeaway.

all that is partly sidestepping the point of the article that this blackmailing organization Darkside maybe got taken down by the feds obv, particularly interesting if it was because of their use of bitcoin wallets. lots of speculation in there of course.

1 minute ago, auxien said:

they didn't say anything about bitcoin's privacy or lack thereof, that was me being/seeming dumb. anonymity is tied to privacy in my mind even tho bitcoin is inherently 'public' in some ways. its supposed anonymity doesn't really matter if wallets can be stumbled across and their owners deduced/discovered tho, that's my takeaway.

all that is partly sidestepping the point of the article that this blackmailing organization Darkside maybe got taken down by the feds obv, particularly interesting if it was because of their use of bitcoin wallets. lots of speculation in there of course.

the fact that their wallets were somehow seized proves they didnt know what theyre doing., very stupid criminals. did the US a good favor tho by only charging $5m to help fix the vulnerability, leading the oil company to water which would no doubt retaliate against a whitehat disclosure, rather than selling the exploit to a hostile nation

On 4/29/2021 at 8:19 AM, dcom said:

This is the reason Musk did a huge about face, and no longer accepts Bitcoin for Tesla purchases, after he bought $1.5 billion Bitcoin. His sway over the crypto market thru Twitter needs to die.

On 2/18/2021 at 12:36 PM, zkom said:

I know it can't be deleted from existence but it can be made illegal to use which would remove it from regular usage and significantly hamper any investments since all transactions from regular currencies to crypto would have to be made illegally. Meaning you wouldn't be able to just download an app from Google or Apple store to trade in crypto. And in EU if you suddenly store a significant amount of money on your bank account without an explanation all sorts of alarms go off signaling illicit funds being transferred or stored. Small transfers would go unnoticed of course but anything beyond a few thousand euros would require the money to be laundered somehow. Good luck explaining where you suddenly got 100k€ if it originated as crypto. Also no legitimate store would accept it, you could basically pay only for things that are already illegal.

So yes, it can't be deleted but it's usage in large amounts can be made very difficult by criminalizing it which would cause the value to crash.

India is attempting to do this, we’ll see how it goes 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/banks-already-cracking-down-crypto-163000844.html

On 4/30/2021 at 1:44 PM, cyanobacteria said:

capitalists gladly sell electricity to bitcoin miners cheaply

I'm glad to see you've accepted that China is capitalist.

32 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

I'm glad to see you've accepted that China is capitalist.

china chose to use capitalism to developp their means of production and avoid ussr situation, they are led by their communist party.  well see what happens.  dont pretend you know better than over a billion people

• Like 1

Some Neanderthal bloke in the pub garden was giving it the large one about how’s made twenty thousand pounds in a few months from investing in all this. If someone like him is making that much money so easily I’m highly suspicious. Something fishy going on. But I’ll admit it, technology and numbers aren’t my strong points (can you be dyslexic with maths? because that’s what I almost am) so what do I know ? 

• Like 2