Cryptocurrency as the next significant stage for computing technology, not just an investment

andihow

so glad my laziness got in the way, as it ultimately prevented me from investing some $ in the crypto world. toward the end of last year I hung out with an old friend who is (um, maybe now was?) huge into the crypto, and was starting to put the idea in my brain that maybe I should put a few bucks into it. I had been looking at investing a little $ into something, and was looking for something outside the traditional stonks/bonds racket. I didn't get very far with this line of crypto thinking though, as I don't understand enough about all this, and felt like if I put some $ into something, I should be able to understand in simple enough terms (1) where the money went and (2) how the money turns into more money. with crypto, everyone starts yammering on about this and that - like this fuckin thread topic - proclaiming it to be the future of computing technology. yeah I know that came from Zeff, but it does highlight the fact that there is far too much "grey area" in the crypto markets, to make the average consumer want to leap into it. I mean take that super vague Matt Damon ad, where he talks about not missing out on an opportunity to help man kind advance, or some BS like this. like for real? crypto currency is where the future of civilization is heading? well explain to me the basics like (1) how and (2) why - and then let's party amigos!!

• Like 1

Somebody knows about tulip mania that happened in Netherlands 17th century?

And Im full supportive for cryptos but c'mon, how can someone buy/sell stuff with BTC on a daily basis?

Also if you haven't noticed, they are mainly being used for illegal commercial purposes, like human trafficking, drugs, weapons, slavery, etc. For the mafia is more secure than traditional bank transactions.

Cryptos should have some kind of benign utility in the real world, not just like an speculative investment I mean...

an NFT for 100$ is ok, even for 1000$ but beyond that is just speculation, because there's another question here:

are digital assets more important than physical ones?

EDIT: I fear that centrals banks and institutions will see this as an opportunity to put some control and taxes on it, and I don't like it.

Edited by Diurn
  • Like 1

Here's a nice video about the whole Celsius shitshow that has been going on for the past few days. Basically people gave their money to Celsius and have little hope of ever getting it back.

• Thanks 1

Financial losses specifically from NFT crimes just through May this year were already more than 600% higher than for all of 2021, with the space seeing twice as many hacks and bigger and bigger heists, according to analysis from digital privacy firm Top10VPN.

We've only scratched the surface of how bad the crypto crime wave has gotten (LA Times)

• Like 2

The key takeaway from that analysis, which was conducted by a handful of Texas universities, was that the blockchain network is vulnerable and a stronger degree of power is concentrated within a smaller subsection of users.

DARPA pokes yet another hole in blockchain’s ‘decentralization’ claim (Input)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Nebraska said:

someone needs to get the swarm back to the nest to feed the fire of truth instead of cratering 🙄

wasnt sure if ironic or not

seems not

lol