IGNORED

Sepha/Ganus Weekly Beats 2018

ganus

Thanks! Heres week 2

kE3KJgv.jpg

I always want to make footwork tracks, because that's what I mostly listen to, but they often diverge into mutant strains of electronic music.

Made using reel-to-reel, JX-3P, FL Studio 12, and a segment of a phone recording from a mushroom trip.

Thanks for the feedback! My beats do come out kinda mechanical a good chunk of the time. I sequence stuff on the piano roll, so that's a big reason. I've been wanting to record them live & loop that, MPC style, but I dont have a good setup for that ATM.

loP0Skf.jpg

Week 3. All hardware + some EQ & Echobode (reverb) vst. Super inspired by the PO-32 drum machine. Also starring my full cast of synths; Roland Alpha Juno, JX-3P, MS-20 Mini and Shruthi-1. My 2 year old helped me set up and jam :)

• 2 weeks later...

You're doing some good stuff with these ganus. Playful and interesting melodies on everything, and trying some different instruments/sound combos that are always texturally varied is a good thing imo. The second one, JXFTWK, had some great gritty feel on the main line, but there's good sound choices throughout. I'm not sure any of them really feel 'complete' to me though, and I know that's just part of WeeklyBeats schedule sometimes...also, that's definitely into just opinion territory of course. I hope you end up expanding on some of these or taking the ideas and do more with them. Will have to check back regularly and see what's new :)

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback. I get you on the "unfinished" feeling; all the tracks but the first were done in a day. I am channeling my inner Cryptowen and trying to finish stuff in one session, as that gives me mad creative energy. So I am most likely not going to come back to most of these.

Week 6:

ggtjd4i.jpg

Here's another weird one. Analog synth jam with a new stereo mixer & live cassette tape input of a whale song tape & song bird tape.

I was sleep deprived all week this week, so this one is a lil unpolished.

sleep deprivation can be GOAT for making trax

or sometimes it can just make you stare at the computer//gear blankly for an hour

i really like at the very end when the whale noise is panning across both channels

listening to some of the older ones now. rly great gameboy tones on oddball + i like the close up photo of a succulent or whatev that is. Now you see me is pretty funky. Bomberman 64 wins points for sampling one of my favourite soundtracks

A++ moar deep sleep deprived one session trakkos

Week 7:

r3G1xEv.jpg

This song is for my grandma, who passed away this Friday. She was my last remaining grandparent. I'm still processing it, and I'm not quite sure what to say. She moved away to Florida last year, and I knew then that it would be the last time I would see her in person. I miss her.

I wrote this song trying to make something she would have liked.

My 2 year old said "this song played when I was born", so there's that.

My wife is 25 weeks pregnant with our second child this week. We've had a name picked out for if they're a girl since before we got pregnant, but we just decided on a boy name. "Nova"

Thanks Owen for the feedback, I appreciate you listening

the vocal chorus that come in @3:00 are delightful, it resembles bon iver's voice timbre, although i don't listen to it anymore, i was really into it when it came out...

Thanks! Glad you like that track. The album for that is free if youre interested:

https://sephamusic.bandcamp.com/album/i-fell-into-the-unknown

Thanks Stickfigger, I am a big fan of Ovuca, so that means a lot to me!

^gives me RPG music vibes, nice vocal pad (ooohhhs). 

Hahaha, totally! There's definitely a JRPG vibe going on here.

And yeah, those vocals are pretty nice and adds something organic to it.

At 0:52 it kinda sounds like you hit the wrong note. The cello plays A - F#... shouldn't it have been A - G? It sounds a bit off :)

^gives me RPG music vibes, nice vocal pad (ooohhhs).

Hahaha, totally! There's definitely a JRPG vibe going on here.

And yeah, those vocals are pretty nice and adds something organic to it.

At 0:52 it kinda sounds like you hit the wrong note. The cello plays A - F#... shouldn't it have been A - G? It sounds a bit off :)

Thanks! I consider the JRPG comparison a compliment.

I get what you're saying about the off note in the second half. I think I tried having that part in the same scale as other instruments in the second half, but I preferred the mood of the scale from the 1st section for that instrument's part, if that makes sense? I am 10 yrs in and still figuring out how to interact with scales in 12tet

Archived