IGNORED

Café Kaput - Applied Music Vol. 2 - Plastics Today

Rubin Farr

you forgot the info:

Concise, succinct and targeted material specially produced for the broadcast, refreshment and entertainment industries. Melody, rhythm and metre. Night circuits for the solar future.. Applied Music Vol.2 is the second in an occasional series of library-style albums from Café Kaput. Applied Music albums are organised into thematic selections and feature tracks chosen for their immediacy, simplicity of arrangement and distilled sense of mood. 
Vol.2 - Plastics Today provides themes and underscores, in a contemporary idiom, suitable for the polymer industry.

Composers: D. Lord, C. Cherry, I. Blair, D. Lachlan. 
Art direction and design by Ian Hodgson. 

For what it’s worth I’m enjoying this a lot more than Jon’s last few more ambient releases. Dare I say it’s very much like early Advisory Circle/ early Ghost Box.

If you enjoyed Applied Music Vol 1 then I think you’d like this.

Also the track that’s now up on his BandCamp page is a mix of a few of the tracks on the album- only noticed as you get this ‘megamix’ as track 12 when you download the whole thing and I mistakenly chucked it onto the album. Also individual art for all the tracks as well.

All in all I’m very much enjoying this, and looking forward to what the actual new Advisory Circle album brings when Ghost Box release it.

Not buying this unless I can hear something other than one track. No Spotify either.

yeah, i find jon brooks's obsession with "exclusive releases" to be extremely annoying.  I got burned really bad once get one of his super rare records for lots of $$ when it came out, and being disappointed by nearly every track.

Even so I went ahead and got this and find it to be one of his best releases of the past few years.  I prefer it to vol1, for instance. 

For what it’s worth I’m enjoying this a lot more than Jon’s last few more ambient releases. 

yes. the stuff like shapwick, 52, walberswick, agri montana and autres directions were my least favorite. actually didn't even bother picking them up as the samples didn't do anything for me. this isn't bad, but it's still got too many ambient songs. i really miss the early advisory circle sound (eg. as the crow speaks) where it sounded like there were actually instruments and not all electronics. this new stuff is all electronics and not all that memorable. 

maybe it will grow on me, but upon first listen it's wasn't anything special

For what it’s worth I’m enjoying this a lot more than Jon’s last few more ambient releases.

yes. the stuff like shapwick, 52, walberswick, agri montana and autres directions were my least favorite. actually didn't even bother picking them up as the samples didn't do anything for me. this isn't bad, but it's still got too many ambient songs. i really miss the early advisory circle sound (eg. as the crow speaks) where it sounded like there were actually instruments and not all electronics. this new stuff is all electronics and not all that memorable. 

Have you ever heard the stuff he did many years ago as ‘King of Woolworths’. If not, you ought to check it out. Especially ‘Ming Star’

overall it just sounded more inspired and allive to me... e.g., "civil defence is common sense"

i remember checking the king of woolworths stuff a while ago but nothing really stood out. listening back to those tracks you posted and it's pretty much how i remember. not bad, but not anything i'll be purchasing either.

btw: conjugacy- do you mean this applied music vol.2 sounds more like 'civil defense is common sense'? that's interesting because i think it sounds exactly the opposite of that album minus the sound bits. i just wish rather than being a straight ambient album, it had elements of experimentation and musique concrète like 'other channels'

btw: conjugacy- do you mean this applied music vol.2 sounds more like 'civil defense is common sense'? that's interesting because i think it sounds exactly the opposite of that album minus the sound bits. i just wish rather than being a straight ambient album, it had elements of experimentation and musique concrète like 'other channels'

sorry, i did not mean that.  I wish...

I was using "civil defense..." only as an example of his earlier work being more fresh and inspired, unfortunately.

I do still think "applied music vol. 2" is pretty good compared with his last few years of releases, though.

Also, somehow I haven't listened to jon brookes much since my initial discovery (3-4 years ago?) and subsequent consumption of the various pseudonyms.. oh well.

Agreed. Shapwick, there was just nothing there. Just kinda sterol.

• 5 months later...

Archived