IGNORED

Anyone in Portland, OR want to knob twiddle

yo link up with Ignatius 

[pearl district representing]

i haven't been jamming w/people in ages.. just not into it for a while.. little time and lot's of things to work on... and i'm a miserable curmudgeon 

but there's a pdx synth group (meets in person at the shop i work in  - modular8 1416 se morrison -  on 3rd saturday i think) and also pdx producers group (facebook)

if you want details on the pdx synth group pm me your email and i can stick you on the mailing list.. it's not very active.. mostly just reminders about the meet up and invites to any other types of events they do... it's pretty informal. 

but stop by the shop anyways.. it's chill.. like a living room full of art and synths. 

If it makes you feel any better, I am in Tokyo and I can't seem to find anyone to twiddle knobs with either. Been searching for more than a year now.

Aw geez man, any good shows at least?

yo link up with Ignatius 

[pearl district representing]

Ey, good lookin' out.  Thanks!

i haven't been jamming w/people in ages.. just not into it for a while.. little time and lot's of things to work on... and i'm a miserable curmudgeon 

but there's a pdx synth group (meets in person at the shop i work in  - modular8 1416 se morrison -  on 3rd saturday i think) and also pdx producers group (facebook)

if you want details on the pdx synth group pm me your email and i can stick you on the mailing list.. it's not very active.. mostly just reminders about the meet up and invites to any other types of events they do... it's pretty informal. 

but stop by the shop anyways.. it's chill.. like a living room full of art and synths.

I hear ya, life is too busy. Just feelin' like makin' more time for it lately.  I'll PM you.  Thanks man, maybe I'll see you around.

If it makes you feel any better, I am in Tokyo and I can't seem to find anyone to twiddle knobs with either. Been searching for more than a year now.

This city is full of stuff and weird magical corners, but to be honest, recently I don't really feel I am invited. 

That and the last modular show I went to was more a bunch of guys showing off their euro-peen than making music. I missed Tokyo Festival of Modular, which I really regret though.

This city is full of stuff and weird magical corners, but to be honest, recently I don't really feel I am invited. 

That and the last modular show I went to was more a bunch of guys showing off their euro-peen than making music. I missed Tokyo Festival of Modular, which I really regret though.

the guy who owns the store went to TFOM.. it was really hot in the space.. loud and the shows were seemingly happening at the same time and sound systems were warring w/each other. 

i dont go to many shows.  Volt Divers can be good sometimes but sometimes it's sitting through 2 hours of pain to get to thing you want to hear at the end.. but it's free, the guy who puts it together is super awesome person and the sets are all short like 20 minutes.  the quad ambient shows at the place in NE are cool. the place on killingsworth.. it's a community center that was a church so is cool for ambient shows.. 

but there's always some thing going on.. experimental portland is a good site for keeping tabs on events.. 

https://experimentalportland.com/event-calendar/

we try to update our event page at the shop as we do shows here and demos and whatever else fits.. the shows are usually free. small.. late or on a sunday... 

modular8.com

the guy who owns the store went to TFOM.. it was really hot in the space.. loud and the shows were seemingly happening at the same time and sound systems were warring w/each other. 

i dont go to many shows.  Volt Divers can be good sometimes but sometimes it's sitting through 2 hours of pain to get to thing you want to hear at the end.. but it's free, the guy who puts it together is super awesome person and the sets are all short like 20 minutes.  the quad ambient shows at the place in NE are cool. the place on killingsworth.. it's a community center that was a church so is cool for ambient shows.. 

but there's always some thing going on.. experimental portland is a good site for keeping tabs on events.. 

we try to update our event page at the shop as we do shows here and demos and whatever else fits.. the shows are usually free. small.. late or on a sunday... 

modular8.com

Chock full of good resources. I'm all over it. So you run modular8? That's sounds like fun, perhaps there are some local folks to produce with?

modular8.com

Chock full of good resources. I'm all over it. So you run modular8? That's sounds like fun, perhaps there are some local folks to produce with?

me and the guy who own the store.. he's here every day.. his name is phillip. he doesn't make tracks.. just a synth nerd and music lover. 

modular8.com

Yeah Japanese shows (even for big names) can be sort of hit or miss sometimes. I know TFOM was in many different venues but I am not surprised that there were issues. I've been to ear-splitting noise events and an Acid Mothers Temple show where we left halfway through because the sound was so loud our ears rang like 2 days after. Even though the Japanese are really safety conscious it somehow does not seem to apply to loudness at all, especially in smaller venues.

My experience with TFOM has so far been that it's mainly there to sell modular gear, and I did have fun playing around with a 0-coast there. But the musical side seems to be a bit disappointing, because it self-selects to modular wankery, whereas I am interested in music and I do not so much care about the gear itself, though I am expecting that the guy with a huge setup should be able to make sounds that make my jaw drop.

I'd really like to find some small community or group which organises regular events. Before I came to Japan I was involved in organising small underground parties (basically setting up sound systems and making sure all the tech works etc.) and I really miss that.

Sorry, I'll stop shitting up your thread now. :)

me and the guy who own the store.. he's here every day.. his name is phillip. he doesn't make tracks.. just a synth nerd and music lover.

:catsalute: C U on the flip side

Yeah Japanese shows (even for big names) can be sort of hit or miss sometimes. I know TFOM was in many different venues but I am not surprised that there were issues. I've been to ear-splitting noise events and an Acid Mothers Temple show where we left halfway through because the sound was so loud our ears rang like 2 days after. Even though the Japanese are really safety conscious it somehow does not seem to apply to loudness at all, especially in smaller venues.

My experience with TFOM has so far been that it's mainly there to sell modular gear, and I did have fun playing around with a 0-coast there. But the musical side seems to be a bit disappointing, because it self-selects to modular wankery, whereas I am interested in music and I do not so much care about the gear itself, though I am expecting that the guy with a huge setup should be able to make sounds that make my jaw drop.

I'd really like to find some small community or group which organises regular events. Before I came to Japan I was involved in organising small underground parties (basically setting up sound systems and making sure all the tech works etc.) and I really miss that.

Sorry, I'll stop shitting up your thread now. :)

Shit away dear thawkins, shit away

Join my worship band! We meet every Wednesday night for practice! Then we go to Fuller's after church! We have a lot of fun.

Worship band? Like at church? Like with synths? Wuh?

Worship band? Like at church? Like with synths? Wuh?

IME worship bands with synths are quite common in Evangelical churches.

My impression is that these folks have essentially their own version of most styles there are - there's christian rock, rap, metal, etc. It's only a question of time until there's christian experimental noise or braindance. I mean, Cameron Carpenter exists.

It probably applies to most other religions too, it's just that in our cultural sphere those are not very dominant so we don't notice.

IME worship bands with synths are quite common in Evangelical churches.

My impression is that these folks have essentially their own version of most styles there are - there's christian rock, rap, metal, etc. It's only a question of time until there's christian experimental noise or braindance. I mean, Cameron Carpenter exists.

It probably applies to most other religions too, it's just that in our cultural sphere those are not very dominant so we don't notice.

You won't find me persecutin'. Any Christians out there want to glorify god with some Acid/Gabber/Miami Bass/Dubstep/Ghettotech/Trap etc......

Actually I could see dubstep having gotten christianized

No persecution here, either, but I would have way more respect for anyone doing groundbreaking shit who Happens To Love Jesus than people setting up a squeaky-clean microcosm of the larger culture within their own hermetically sealed spiritual safe-space/bubble. 

I mean, have you guys ever listened to Christian radio? Maybe it's different elsewhere, but where I live it's... not good.

No persecution here, either, but I would have way more respect for anyone doing groundbreaking shit who Happens To Love Jesus than people setting up a squeaky-clean microcosm of the larger culture within their own hermetically sealed spiritual safe-space/bubble. 

I mean, have you guys ever listened to Christian radio? Maybe it's different elsewhere, but where I live it's... not good.

I too have nothing against people of any religion making music inspired from their religion, but when they stick a huge $RELIGION label on, it kind of becomes this huge turnoff. Christian radio is crazy as well, back in my home country there is a station, and everything on it sounds like it is filtered through to make it sound as clean and inoffensive as possible and when people talk it's like they're drugged up. I don't listen to it very often, but in general the Christian folks back home have voluntarily decided to flush themselves down the drain by their bad faith hand wringing over same-sex marriage, so it has now become even more difficult to listen to any Christian music unbiased.

I too have nothing against people of any religion making music inspired from their religion, but when they stick a huge $RELIGION label on, it kind of becomes this huge turnoff. Christian radio is crazy as well, back in my home country there is a station, and everything on it sounds like it is filtered through to make it sound as clean and inoffensive as possible and when people talk it's like they're drugged up. I don't listen to it very often, but in general the Christian folks back home have voluntarily decided to flush themselves down the drain by their bad faith hand wringing over same-sex marriage, so it has now become even more difficult to listen to any Christian music unbiased.

Yeah exactly... I only listen to it when I go to the Korean grocery store which is approximately once a week, lol. The music is simultaneously banal and creepy. The vocals in particular have this strange smug but strained quality to them that makes me want to get out of the store as quickly as possible (maybe that's the point?)

To be fair, worship music is largely constrained to be bland by having to perform it in front of congregations that include a bunch of old people and children.

I think that may be a more recent phenomenon, because classical music got it's real start from churches and monasteries. It is kind of ironic that we look at worship music now as something bland, while it seems it originally was supposed to be a beautiful, inspiring and uplifting thing (churches were also built to impress architecturally) in order to strengthen people's faith and bring in more people.

By the way, I guess Arvo Pärt can be considered a positive example in this case - he just composes his music, but does not wear his religious beliefs on his sleeve.

Archived