IGNORED

Spectre / Meltdown & Digital Audio Production

qualitycontrol

​My reactions, by the sentence...

You'll be fine (Unless: You're running Windows with an AMD processor,

...oh fuck.

Unless you're doing something that has regular kernel calls (eg aforementioned database users, data centres, servers etc.) everything will be fine in the world.

*whew*

So, general users are unaffected? Or am I missing some part of this all? I haven't read anything at all about this yet, though I'm starting to now.

Apologies I don't think I was completely clear - It was more you'll be OK to apply the patch/update unless you're running an AMD processor (due to the BSODs juiceciuj, and many others, have encountered) or haven't updated your antivirus to a post-Spectre/Meltdown state ( https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/184wcDt9I9TUNFFbsAVLpzAtckQxYiuirADzf3cL42FQ/edit ) (also to prevent frequent BSOD issues or even a non-bootable state of Windows)

All users are affected by the bug, just that the patch to mitigate the issue won't have the dramatic performance hit that was initially feared with everyday users, but will have a noticeable effect on enterprise/business users (e.g. data centres) who have constant data throughput with their systems/servers.

^thank you for the clarification! I think I'm understanding it all (slightly) better now after that, and doing a little reading. Will definitely have to keep informed on this. Was planning to take my music PC offline eventually anyway, may have to test that out sooner rather than later. Not that I'm terribly concerned, but all of this does make me want to reevaluate the situation.

Archived