IGNORED

The Caretaker - Take care, it's a desert out there.

fumi

There is a fog of dead voices descending. I can hear the sound of crackle, of static memory. There's an old gramophone record playing somewhere but it is fading slowly away. I am standing in the centre of The Caretaker's latest release - "Take care. It's a desert out there..." in memory of and for Mark Fisher. Standing? Not 'sat listening to'? It's vital to make the point that, like all records by James Leyland Kirby, there is a sense of enveloping that suggests spatial qualities within the music. The records become places, sometimes overtly specific in character but on other occasions transporting the listener into a void of sorts. This is highly appropriate considering the main essence of this particular collection of previously unreleased material. Dedicated to the theorist and writer, Mark Fisher, who took his own life in January 2017 after suffering from severe depression, the feeling of a hopeless void frames everything that is heard.

The was a limited run a week after the live show ( https://boomkat.com/products/take-care-it-s-a-desert-out-there ) though unsure if there's going to be another another run ... (maybe via his bandcamp page?)

Cool

A new album of exclusive, previously unreleased material from The Caretaker released in memory of and for Mark Fisher, the legendary writer, cultural theorist and pioneering blogger (k-punk) who passed away on the 13th January 2017. Copies of this release were given to all attendees of The Caretaker's Barbican performance for Unsound Disclocation last week. There are now 350 individually numbered copies signed by The Caretaker, available for sale. 100% of proceeds from this release will be donated to MIND, the mental health charity.

I would like a CD copy of this, especially if proceeds go to MIND. 

he mentioned in the comments section on YouTube:

Sorry if people missed getting a copy of this one as the 350 signed copies sold out fast. Another 300-400 discs which were not given out at The Barbican will be made available at some point in the new year for purchase with all proceeds again going to MIND these will still be sealed and unsigned.

When I spoke to him after the set he mentioned at least one more part (not including this release) was forthcoming - A lot darker in tone (possibly what we heard on the night *was* that part)

Wouldn't be at all surprised if this hits Bandcamp in a day to two. Mark Fisher died exactly a year ago this Saturday.

He’s said that’s unlikely on his Facebook page, at least in the short term.

But yeah. Another run of discs unsigned is due.

For anyone that doesn’t know, this is more like his darker stuff as The Stranger than as The Caretaker.

It's a great and fitting piece but I have to be in the mood for this. It's not the sort of thing you want to listen to if feeling low or a bit depressed. I hope it get another release soon. A 128kbps version on my iPod is not the way to go.

• 1 month later...

Been listening to this so much recently. I think it's one of the best things I've ever heard. Shame there is still no proper release. I'm not paying the cynical (especially in this case)  prices on Discogs.

Take Care is up there with the best Basinski stuff. It's my favourite thing of the year so far.

uhm, total caretaker noob here and i'm listening to that everywhere at the end of time albums for the first time and i'm thinking, are these just old records played through a shitload of reverb? I like it alot but what's going on here, anyone know?

uhm, total caretaker noob here and i'm listening to that everywhere at the end of time albums for the first time and i'm thinking, are these just old records played through a shitload of reverb? I like it alot but what's going on here, anyone know?

I guess the cynical listener might think he's really a one-trick pony. The guy watched the closing frames of the The Shining and thought 'Hey, I can make a career out of that.'

It's a lot more, I think. He does quite a bit of music that doesn't have the haunted ballroom thing going on.

but bruh is he making this music himself or is he just playing old records throuh a chimney??

Kirby’s initial process was relatively simple and essentially involved him processing 1930s big band, swing and choral tunes recorded from old 78s with echo, reverb and other effects to produce a very spectral and dislocating style of music. After The Shining, his initial introduction to the world of pre-war dance music was via the Pennies From Heaven soundtrack LP, and then via a series of original records sourced from (the now defunct) 78 Exchange shop.

After two more albums (A Stairway To The Stars [2002] and We’ll All Go Riding On A Rainbow [2003]) the project took on several extra layers of complexity with the release of 72 MP3s collected under the title of Theoretically Pure Anterograde Amnesia in 2005. This collection (which was released as a six CD set the following year), marked a change in direction for the project conceptually, as it started to explore different aspects of memory loss as the music itself became more texturally and structurally complex.

Archived