IGNORED

Will BOC Release A New Album?

fumi

I still don't rate TH even almost five years after its release. For me, it's the weakest thing in their catalogue. Too much filler and treading water. There are a few good moments but they phoned that one in, IMO. It doesn't help that their sound has been endlessly copied so many other artists (to greater or lesser degrees) that TH sounded like a pastiche, a tribute album.

The brief moments of brilliance in TH like the melody in Jacquard Causeway show that they can still do that sound better than anyone else. If they just dove deeper into that MHTRTC style I'm sure they could do something really great.

Edited by thehauntingsoul

I still don't rate TH even almost five years after its release. For me, it's the weakest thing in their catalogue. Too much filler and treading water. There are a few good moments but they phoned that one in, IMO. It doesn't help that their sound has been endlessly copied so many other artists (to greater or lesser degrees) that TH sounded like a pastiche, a tribute album.

good post, I quite like TH but I'd also agree with almost every sentence of that ^^^

Edited by beerwolf

good post, I quite like TH but I'd also agree with almost every sentence of that ^^^

they will come at night and steal your hearing, unbelievers

Guest Chesney

TCH is really fucking great, it's a slow burner and you have to get over the "guitars in electronic music" thing.

Oscar see through is a complex banger. Like with anything, you have to give it time, if you don't listen to it, it won't grow.

TH is good too but still the weakest listen. I guess I just don't feel apocalyptic very often to be in the mood for it.

TH is thee bollocks! Not sure where I'd rank it among other BoC albums though. I find it extremely difficult to order their stuff from best to worst, prob more than any other artist.

I hardly ever listen to TCH  - except for "Dayvan Cowboy"  which is unreal. So i must change that right now.

TH is amazing to me........all about the atmosphere and tiny details

Interesting, I like Campfire but always skip Dayvan. Never resonated with that tune for some reason. Also yes, I start Trans Canada from LSD too.

I prefer TH over the TCH era actually. And it's arguably a better soundtrack to 2018 than it was to 2013. BOC's third eye saw shit coming from light years away.

Yeah I wonder what the theme of this album will be. I would imagine it would be even bleaker than TH.

Just wanted to weigh in and say that I think TH stands tall with the rest of the discography. Personally I think each album should stand out by it's own merits, although I understand the natural thing to do is to compare album to album. I love that TH is essentially a concept album and is a pretty hard break from TCH and Trans Canada, both which I love dearly. I think that with an 8 year wait between albums, and with some pretty mixed feelings towards TCH, expectations were unrealistically high. The awesome buildup toward the release also probably built expectations up quite a bit - it was a surreal experience. 

TH is brilliant and contains some of my favorite BoC moments. Lopez, I hear you on Tears from the Compound Eye as it's definitely one of my top 5 tracks, but I gotta say Nothing is Real is transcendent stuff. Cold Earth and Sick Times sound more amazing to me with each listen. Jacquard Causeway makes me feel uneasy in the best possible way. It's really great stuff if you let yourself sink into the theme of the album, as bleak as it is. Despite the theme I find the album strangely uplifting. 

I guess what I'm really saying after all this is, BoC can you please release some new material this year or what????!

This is what generally happens for me with all artists.  No matter what I don't find their newer work to be as good as their older work.  I think it's actually a biological thing - apparently your memories lose their negative edge as you age, and this is the cause of nostalgic feelings.  You associate their early work with your earlier life.  Maybe bullshit though.

That being said, this does not apply at all to one artist - Autechre - their new stuff gets better and better every time by orders of magnitude in ways I can't even describe.  I will stop writing here or I will sperg out.

This is what generally happens for me with all artists.  No matter what I don't find their newer work to be as good as their older work. 

the beatles, steely dan, kraftwerk, autechre as you mentioned... only an elite group get better as they go along

Dude, fuck you guys. BoC get better as they go along. "Tomorrow's Harvest" was great. You all have just too many expectations, and you wanted them to stroke your "Music has the Right to Children" cock, but that's not where they are anymore. Geezus fucking Krist, why is this a discussion? There are no real deep insights here, only vague gestures toward feelings and what you wanted out of the album and disappointment with the hype (which was just FUN, what the fuck is wrong with that, now?!) and it's SO TIRESOME. How about this? How about you do something? How about you just put things in their proper place? It's music. It's actually good music. It's actually really good music. I check up here every once and a while because I'm hoping to hear about some news, and this forum usually delivers, but so help me is this place becomes another Twoism.org. Get a grip, mutherfuckers. It's not like Boards of Canada did a fucking cheesy, lame 180 and wrote songs about "slo-mo on the dildo.." or whatever FSOL did around 2002. Their music always holds up. "Oh, I didn't like the vocals in that WHY? remix, or that Sexual Objects remix." Fuck off. Get a life. Goddammit. You guys are better than this. 

Edited by apriorion

True story: I preordered the CD, but a few days before I could officially download it, it appeared on a blog site so I downloaded it. I was actually convinced I was listening to a fan-made fake, like what people did whenever Autechre released an album. I thought "nice try guys, but there's no way BoC would do this after 8 fucking years." And then I read everyone gushing about it and it felt like Trump winning.  

Are you drunk? Why so aggro? =(

(TH is a 8/10 for me. It's a fucking brilliant album.)

8/10 is fucking brilliant!? What is 7/10? Just brilliant in an average kind of way? And 9/10 some undefined step above fucking brilliant? Whaaaaat