IGNORED

Will BOC Release A New Album?

fumi

2 minutes ago, dcom said:

I'll just drop this and this here, too.

I saw this but is not even close imo

these where the only likely stuff.. we never got an answer to what this was iirc, I heard rumors it was a tribute band but idk

2 minutes ago, Alcofribas said:

i can't stomach that ost stuff. kinda cringe imo

Why so serious? Of course someone trying really, REALLY hard to sound like BoC is cringeworthy, I'm just wondering how much work has been put into it.

10 minutes ago, dcom said:

Why so serious? Of course someone trying really, REALLY hard to sound like BoC is cringeworthy, I'm just wondering how much work has been put into it.

Would be sad if that person didn't intend to sound like BOC or even knows or listens to BOC, and yet only gets seen from a perspective of how good or bad they imitate BOC

Just leave the guys be until they maybe decide to release something. How long that may take. They might not return at all. Als alco said they owe us nothing

Sorry badger but it's just what it is

I do think they should tell us when they decide to stop though

Edited by thumbass

8 minutes ago, Alcofribas said:

imo pastiche requires a context to make it compelling, it does not stand on its own as an interesting technique.

I agree and I think that The OST's output is mildly interesting as someone's study in how to create and/or imitate a particular artist's oeuvre. I wholeheartedly agree with the notion that no artist owes their fans anything; I also disagree with the notion that artists are servants to their public because the public pays for their work - it's just a corollary to artists owing someone something. I, for one, would love to hear more Boards of Canada, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for it nor I presume that it will happen because I (or anyone else) want(s) it to. There's an ocean of sound to trawl and listen to even without adding more to it.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

There's NO way they've been living off their riches from making music all these years.  Aphex is probably the only one in the iddems camp who could have gotten away with that for more than a couple.

idk, it's very possible i think. Rich's got a good chunk of change. Autechre seem to be pretty comfortable from the little they've said. i think you're underestimating the amount of times Warp has repressed just MHTRTC alone (how many fucking runs of CDs is that my god man, producing a CD is cheap as fuck, selling thousands upon thousands of them to hipsters for a decade in Urban Outfitters has gotta net some change) and their music has been used on some soundtracks and all sorts of other stuff has been repressed and there's merch and so forth obviously. and now for a few years their music is perfect for Spotify playlists...not sure how many plays there but it looks like some tracks/albums on YT have been played millions upon millions of times so....yeah. not big margins there but they're making money on streaming. 

i don't think they're filthy rich or anything, but i think they're consistently making enough to live and be able to afford to track down and purchase god knows what sort of obscure weird old tech without batting an eye. 

• Like 1

Sean n Rob are doing well I'm sure, but that's mostly because they work their asses off touring + releasing stuff constantly.  If they stopped touring I'm sure they'd need to work day jobs.  Same with the 'Pusher.  I'm highly skeptical that BOC could be getting by off sales/spotify alone (you need to be getting millions of plays to even live modestly from that).  But, great if they actually are.

On 4/12/2020 at 11:17 PM, Zephyr_Nova said:

Sean n Rob are doing well I'm sure, but that's mostly because they work their asses off touring + releasing stuff constantly.  If they stopped touring I'm sure they'd need to work day jobs.  Same with the 'Pusher.  I'm highly skeptical that BOC could be getting by off sales/spotify alone (you need to be getting millions of plays to even live modestly from that).  But, great if they actually are.

It's time for an extended session of ass sucking

Edited by darreichungsform
  • Burger 1

4 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

i think BoC are more popular than you think tho. just quick back of the envelope math (see pic below, that's 50k unique listeners a month, average that each listens to two songs, and assume there's at least 4 times that many listeners per month) and they're making i'd guess $3k per month from Spotify alone. assuming Warp takes half of that, still $1,500 a month. just from Spotify streams. then there's other streaming services, iTunes sales, digital sales on Bleep.... so in their pockets just digital, $3k a month. relatively steadily. and i'm estimating pretty conservatively, i'd guess there's probably more like 8-10 times as many listeners as the 50k shown there on Spotify. each month.... adds up. plus initial sales bursts of Peel Sessions etc netting them a fair chunk of change in their pockets to save/invest (they have a beautiful studio out in the country after all)...i think they're fine.

someone ask Sean in mixlr chat to text the brothers and ask them their net worth. for science. ?

sorry not trying to be weird harping on about this to you Zephyr or just in general, i'm just listening back to some tunes of my own and find this stuff interesting.

image.thumb.png.0798e077ff583967ed921c9c52d8c139.png

40 minutes ago, President Squidward said:

yall...

"42" is one of the numbers mentioned in aquarius

new album on that day confirmed!!!!MNEIBDBRO#IE?Rfewihojshxcf rsdtfguwhiqonkwebhvdtcfe63t7

i need to sleep

quality 303'd post :cool:

Just been watching a few youtube clips about myths in rock music. A few on Syd Barrett (the exaggerated tale of randomly walking into the studio when the band were cutting Shine On, his largely exaggerated descent into total madness) and one with Ray Manzarek on his suspicions on the death of Jim Morrison. As you know there are plenty, plenty more. All starting with KIng of the Delta Blues.

Our friends from Hexagon Sun who from day one have expertly drenched their whole existence in mythology and similar tricks will I'm afraid get similar amounts of exaggerated comments directed at them, especially as they take aeons to release music. Telling fans 'oh they don't owe us anything so just be quiet,  grow up and go away' seems absurd to me lol. I'm sure they (BOC) must perfectly understand that. I doubt they take it as personally as some of their ultra sensitive fans do. It is the nature of the beast, and the result of their deal they struck at The Crossroads (or just the one with Warp signed with a biro pen)

Edited by beer badger