Will BOC Release A New Album?

fumi

it'd be nice if they would pop up and say something, anything about wtf is going on with them. if they are no longer planning to release music then that's fine, just seems like a courtesy to all their fans to at least let us know that. I know they don't owe us shit, but c'mon...

remember when TH was released in the Cali desert, and some warp rep said Mike/Marcus texted him to say they love us all? this is an odd way to show your love, by completely ignoring those who really dig them.

• Burger 1

Long time no see my dear BOC-Fans! Good news right now! Boards of Canada have a new member! 

Please welcome and make some noise for AKAI DAN! 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, zero said:

it'd be nice if they would pop up and say something, anything about wtf is going on with them. if they are no longer planning to release music then that's fine, just seems like a courtesy to all their fans to at least let us know that. I know they don't owe us shit, but c'mon...

remember when TH was released in the Cali desert, and some warp rep said Mike/Marcus texted him to say they love us all? this is an odd way to show your love, by completely ignoring those who really dig them.

I agree with you, and think about it more than is probably healthy and normal (obviously), but that’s never really been their M.O. 

As long as they’re still officially with Warp it’s a safe bet they haven’t hung up their boots. I’m guessing life stuff happened and I’m sure the global pandemic didn’t help. 

I hope they come back with an uplifting or more calming album next time around, given the anxiety and stress of recent years. Of course a weird cultish dark album would be acceptable too 🙂

Edited by Friendly Stranger
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, zero said:

not saying a thing is probably a better marketing strategy in their case, whether they've retired or not

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, zero said:

'they don't owe us....but they owe us'

it's no wonder they keep their fanbase away with a very long stick relaying light messages through label reps. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, auxien said:

'they don't owe us....but they owe us'

yeah I get it, slight bit of contradiction there. guess I just don't know how to properly say that I would love to hear some new tunes from them, without sounding slightly frustrated that it's been 8 years now without a mention of anything coming down the pipe. I really don't spend much time thinking about it, only whenever I see this thread pop up, I suppose.

• Like 1

Maybe one day they might be less hermitical. It would be strange to never bathe in a little bit of the warmth of their loyal fans base. And have a bit of a group hug 🙂

51 minutes ago, chibill said:

Are they under contract for another album at Warp?

WARP usually don't say either way, so it's hard to be sure.

43 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

WARP usually don't say either way, so it's hard to be sure.

Oh my mistake, I thought they were on contract for at least one more. Must’ve been misinformed. Well anyways they are still listen under the artist roster. I refuse to believe they’re done until they say so. Which like, yea they are reclusive but they wouldn’t be keeping up with an online presence if they were done. 

1 minute ago, Friendly Stranger said:

Oh my mistake, I thought they were on contract for at least one more. Must’ve been misinformed. Well anyways they are still listen under the artist roster. I refuse to believe they’re done until they say so. Which like, yea they are reclusive but they wouldn’t be keeping up with an online presence if they were done. 

Just thinking out loud - I can't recall any WARP artist saying they were done with the label (contractually or otherwise) - can you?

2 hours ago, chibill said:

Are they under contract for another album at Warp?

I think BoC don't need to do anything for Warp cus they are already "owned" by Warp. If they want to release something they just pick up the phone and Warp are there to support them. 

Good team spirit in that label it seems. 

On 3/11/2021 at 4:29 PM, YELLOW said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Outlook not good

since i read this post i've been treating the spoiler tag like a real magic 8 ball and coming back to it has really been keeping me going over the last few weeks. my life is going to shit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Joyrex said:

Just thinking out loud - I can't recall any WARP artist saying they were done with the label (contractually or otherwise) - can you?

I guess not so point taken, just denying the possibility that there won’t be anymore new boc material. I’m also just naively optimistic and enthusiastic about a new album but I forgot we don’t do that around here when it comes to boc, for some reason.

It's interesting how Pynchon fans only talk about how much they like the works he's already published while BOC fans only talk about the sleep paralysis demon that told them about the cassette tape Marcus buried on the Skeleton Coast at geographic coordinates hidden in the track lengths of their previous albums.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 3/20/2021 at 1:06 AM, Friendly Stranger said:

I guess not so point taken, just denying the possibility that there won’t be anymore new boc material. I’m also just naively optimistic and enthusiastic about a new album but I forgot we don’t do that around here when it comes to boc, for some reason.

Hey Friendly Stranger 👋 

Just wanted to say I always enjoy reading your posts. I’m also naively optimistic and enthusiastic with BoC. Mainly because if I was (like them) a Legendary Warp Record Music Maker I would have exactly the same approach as they do. Quiet, reclusive and pretty much off the radar. The phone rings and some Warp whippersnapper says do you want to do interviews or any features, maybe show off your new favourite woolly hat in the music press this year Mr Beerwolf? 

No. Bye.

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 1

I really like how they distance themself from any kind of engagement with internet and fans - I guess its one of the key reasons why their music is still very much on point

• Like 1

5 hours ago, o00o said:

I really like how they distance themself from any kind of engagement with internet and fans - I guess its one of the key reasons why their music is still very much on point

Yes and keep in mind how their back catalogue looks like.. You can't deny that this guys have a genuine passion for music.

BoC have tons of unreleased material but now they don't seem to be interested in publicity and not ready for it.. Something is gonna come out for sure and sorry may take many years. 

On 3/19/2021 at 12:38 PM, Joyrex said:

Prefuse 73

i seem to recall he said they dropped him