IGNORED

What does watmm think of Music Is Rotted One Note?

beerwolf

Been streaming this album the last few weeks, because I'm not a jazzhead I'm not sure what to make of it tbh. Bits and pieces sound well excellent, bits and pieces hmmm not sure. The more I play it the more I think I like it. Maybe you can help me understand it a little better?

Another reason for asking is I never really read opinions on this album on watmm, it seems a bit of enigma. And that's probably the reason I've been drawn towards it.

And could the mods please rectify my mistake and put the correct title of the album above ^^^

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally think it's one of his best albums. It took me awhile to get into it, but after several listens, it revealed itself to be a great record overall. Squarepusher's take on free jazz is one of the most interesting things I've ever heard. Don't Go Plastic is a masterpiece.

my sound is the standout track by far for me. it's so simple, but it showcases his ear for melody and progression very well.

Agree on this but there's lots of other great ones and I love the overall flow and sound of it. I think it's one of his best but I tend to like albums where established artists throw their own rulebook out the window and you can hear the catharsis come through.

I was obsessed with this album for a good while, possibly for longer than any other SQP album. I love the mood of some of the pieces, and because I knew so little about jazz when I first heard it, it was pure exploration for me. it prompted me to listen to more jazz and I started with the blue stuff because I liked the mood so much.

i've never heard it... 

i have heard Music is Rotted One Note though and it's pretty good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_Is_Rotted_One_Note

there's a couple tracks that are really nice on it.. sublime.  

i listened to it on acid a couple times in the 90s and it made more sense.. i don't listen to it much though.. actually haven't listened to it in a long long time. 

i think what he said about it is accurate.  "sometimes you have to take a step sideways before you take a step forward"... 

i don't know what steps he's taken in the last 5-10 years or if he's just on a merry go round.  WEEEEEEEEEE!

My Sound is one of the most poignant tracks he's ever made, up there with Tetra-Sync.

I think the irony is around Just a Souvenir, the marketing was all about this made up band he had in his dreams when that's what he actually made with this album.

I'm pretty sure I listened to it years ago, borrowed the cd from a friend and got maybe a quarter in before pulling the plug (the jazz, the horror!) 

Now I listen with an older pair of ears it's pretty wicked

My favourite squarepusher album all told - tracks like my sound got me interested at first but on repeat listens almost all of it opened up (apart from that really loud second half of shin triad, never quite got my head round that). Crazy to think it was just one guy behind the album, it's got a really loose jammy live feel to a lot of it.

It's a friccin gr8 album for tripping and My Sound is the least interesting track on there (though still very good)

Like if Get Up With It-era Miles Davis line up collabed with Beefheart's Magic Band and had Stockhausen and Parmegiani on production duties.

Btw the 2nd half of Shin Triad is heavily processed scat singing, in keeping with the jazz futurism theme.

Anyone else sperg out over the conceptual parallels linking this and Go Plastic?

Archived