IGNORED

What does watmm think of Music Is Rotted One Note?

beerwolf

it sucks because normies thought it was "genius" and then always reference squarepusher when someone says "idm" as if this album is some incredible touchstone up there with the likes of SAW and tri rep. pitchfork gave it some retardedly high review like 9.6. fantano also talked about it but called it music is one rotted note which is incorrect. i see you've written it incorrect in the thread title as well. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I appreciate the idea of this album more than the sound. That said I haven't listened to it in years, maybe I'm due a refresher listen..

it sucks because normies thought it was "genius" and then always reference squarepusher when someone says "idm" as if this album is some incredible touchstone up there with the likes of SAW and tri rep. pitchfork gave it some retardedly high review like 9.6. fantano also talked about it but called it music is one rotted note which is incorrect. i see you've written it incorrect in the thread title as well. 

breathe m8

Lopez is wrong again, yawn

He's in such a nathan barley world of people desperately trying to show how refined and obscure their taste is that it doesn't surprise me that everyone he knows namechecks this one. He has no perspective.

Feed Me and Hard Normal are the Squarepusher normie albums

That doesn't mean I think those are bad albums btw

this is a friggin idm forum, think about that for a sec before calling people close minded nuns with no perspective

esp. cos we all know idm can be extreme, innit blud bruv m8 bro.

Lopez is wrong again, yawn

He's in such a nathan barley world of people desperately trying to show how refined and obscure their taste is that it doesn't surprise me that everyone he knows namechecks this one. He has no perspective.

Feed Me and Hard Normal are the Squarepusher normie albums

That doesn't mean I think those are bad albums btw

i have no idea what you're talking about but i referenced a pitchfork review and anthony fantano, not some elite secret society of elitist music nerds to try and impress you lol

no my point is that "music" people think that this is an "idm" album or that it is somehow exemplary of squarepusher. If you read the pitchfork review it's clear that the writer thinks this is tom's masterpiece. Other conversations I've had with music nerds (not my friends) have also gone like this.

"So you uhhh like squarepusher then?"

"yeah of course. not my favorite by any means but some incredible stuff"

"yeah I remember that music is one rotted note, like this kind of electronic bitches brew stuff. cool, really wild."

* i kinda mumble and walk away*

I would respond to that by saying that most people who aren't interested in the extents of IDM as a genre would see this album and place it within a larger context of experimental music quite easily as it wears its references on its sleeve. However I would guess the "IDM 4 LYFE" set, including myself, find this album quite good and a nice addition to Tom's catalog but under no uncertain terms consider it anywhere near the genre-defining albums of Feed Me, Hard Normal and obviously Go Plastic. The music is simply less engaging and forward thinking than "the exploding psychology" or "greenways trajectory" and that seems impossible to refute to me.

anyway i love you all -

i will never log off

I occasionally listen to this album–– love how much it creates a kinda jenkinson room headphase, like yuo're sitting there with tired tom in a velvet room, blue, with dusty synths crying to be played everywhere but there's smoke in the air and the pusher offers you a joint and some dry toast. 

i laughed at the above response, but also because the response above that is very accurate.  It worked.  I immediately purchased this album when it came out, listened to it once, and probably didn't revisit it for a few years, or at least until I calmed down some in my music choices.  It's definitely a good album for some hallucinogenics.

Brilliant album. I always pictured it recorded in a small muted brown room with a two mic setup on the drums and a single 30 watt bulb lamp illuminating everything from a far corner.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
1 hour ago, darreichungsform said:

can someone explain the grammar of the title to me tho. since when is rotted a transitive verb

Only if you can explain to me how one can "be up a hello".

In unrelated news, I find it telling how no one mentions how amazing this album is when you're stone cold sober instead of trippin' balls. Because it isn't. It very much isn't.

44 minutes ago, IDEM said:

Only if you can explain to me how one can "be up a hello".

In unrelated news, I find it telling how no one mentions how amazing this album is when you're stone cold sober instead of trippin' balls. Because it isn't. It very much isn't.

lol@ first comment.

but ill vouch for this album anytime.  its got variation and flow, and a weird but pleasing sound quality.  kinda sounds like he was using vintage mics and tape, which is why it invites the comparisons to 70s miles.  much of squarepushers music sounds very labored-over, while this is the exact opposite; direct, off the cuff, and abstract. and sometimes that fits the bill. but yeah coffee is my only drug of choice and i love this album

Archived