IGNORED

eryngi things

eryngi

hello! i'm new here, though been lurking on and off for ages.. really happy i finally joined!

been vaguely making sounds for years but i'm getting a bit more into it lately..

at the moment i like making really long tracks to zone out to.

couple little albums i put on bandcamp recently:

Animism - https://eryngi.bandcamp.com/album/animism

longform ambient/drone relaxo type stuff.

Mossy EP - https://eryngi.bandcamp.com/album/mossy-ep

don't know what you'd call this?

and here's a WIP from the other night:

https://soundcloud.com/eryngi777/the-kwem-4-nyee

it's nowhere near finished.. lots of dodgy knob twiddling in there...... and miiight be a bit long....

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The mossy EP is really interesting stuff, definitely begs further listens.

Agree, only have had time to listen to I've got moss and went into chillout sleepmode quickly :) , will check out the other tracks.

hey cheers, thanks for checking em out!

(music making ramblings)
i don't really know how the mixing on any of my stuff is.. it's all headphones.
things i want to practice lots:
beats. never been good at programming them. the only times i'm happy with them it was accidental, haha. gotta try doing stuff more intentionally.

almost all my sounds are Reaktor at the moment. i love it! planning to start learning how to make my own ensembles - so far just been using other peoples's.

spaciousness and sparseness: i want more of it. my tracks usually end up super dense sounding.

anyways.. it is fun. here's a silly track from last year which..has a horrid fake BoC synth sound but i tried doing pretend tape multitracking (recorded each part hot, separately, onto cassette and then combined them again on laptop). i love how it sounds, so i must try this some more..

https://soundcloud.com/eryngi777/disjecta-tdkd-muckaround

wow thanks gemini archives! reckon that's the best thing anyone's said about my stuff =D 

will definitely mess around with tape more soon.. the walkman i used has something slightly wrong with it where the sound sometimes goes all muffled and pans around.. holding down pause part way makes it fix itself. might try with some noise reduction next time. or like, record with dolby C NR and then playback with it off - does some weird compression which sometimes sounds cool and sometimes sounds amazingly bad.

friday night wip jam

thanks heaps!

that one's really basic.. pretty much a pseudo-live jam.. set it going looping some stuff through some delays and whatnot, then record automation tweaking for the whole thing, over multiple passes (with the mouse, one knob at a time, haha.. i have a little midi keyboard but haven't yet got into the habit of actually using the knobs on it). eventually i'll go back and clean it up / get rid of the bad bits / etc..

here's a silly track from last year which..has a horrid fake BoC synth sound but i tried doing pretend tape multitracking (recorded each part hot, separately, onto cassette and then combined them again on laptop). i love how it sounds, so i must try this some more..

https://soundcloud.com/4096salts/disjecta-tdkd-muckaround

yeah the bocish melodies/chords are really sweet, good job! cool rhythms too! maybe too much phaser to my tastings though... the badalamenti detuned chords on the end of kwen are also really cool, they sound dark but at the same time they sound full of hope...

cheers TIMJ! the synths were just placeholder, got lazy.. i do like the beats tho, gotta turn it into something.. all that phasing is just the effect of my dodgy walkman. i like it but yeah it's just there through everything, unavoidable. next time i try tape stuff i might use a different tape deck, but i really like how that particular walkman, sony wm-d6c, sounds when it's working.

you can hear a previous, clean iteration of that track in this video if you want to..

hey cheers, thanks for checking em out!

(music making ramblings)

i don't really know how the mixing on any of my stuff is.. it's all headphones.

things i want to practice lots:

beats. never been good at programming them. the only times i'm happy with them it was accidental, haha. gotta try doing stuff more intentionally.

almost all my sounds are Reaktor at the moment. i love it! planning to start learning how to make my own ensembles - so far just been using other peoples's.

spaciousness and sparseness: i want more of it. my tracks usually end up super dense sounding.

anyways.. it is fun. here's a silly track from last year which..has a horrid fake BoC synth sound but i tried doing pretend tape multitracking (recorded each part hot, separately, onto cassette and then combined them again on laptop). i love how it sounds, so i must try this some more..

https://soundcloud.com/4096salts/disjecta-tdkd-muckaround

The synth/tape sounds great together of course, but the drums are a bit too messy imo. Bet you could do some good stuff in that format/style though dude.

cheers TIMJ! the synths were just placeholder, got lazy.. i do like the beats tho, gotta turn it into something.. all that phasing is just the effect of my dodgy walkman. i like it but yeah it's just there through everything, unavoidable. next time i try tape stuff i might use a different tape deck, but i really like how that particular walkman, sony wm-d6c, sounds when it's working.

you can hear a previous, clean iteration of that track in this video if you want to..

The drums/etc sound pretty good here, just didn't work for me in that tape style.

That Jurate v4 jam could go somewhere too, it's a little empty or lacking direction at the moment though.

thanks for the feedback auxien!

i feel lack of direction is almost always a thing with my tracks. the biggest thing i want to work on in general. but yeah there's something about Jurate i like. i'll keep at it.

my workflow is pretty much: have a bit of spare time, make the skeleton of a new track, if i don't hate it upload to soundcloud for a bit of potential human interaction, plan to finish it later, repeat :)

i like the first one better, can't even realize it is the same song... anyway, what's that playing on that video?

starts really well, lush timbres on these mad rhythms :thumbsup:

doesn't really go anywhere besides the part where those subtle melodies come in, maybe you wanted to keep it minimal like this i dunno, doesn't really work for me, it's definitely a questions of tastes so it doesn't matter what i think... :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

whoops, got distracted, got out of music making mode and forgot to login here for awhile.. 

thankses for listenings!

yeah that meltingwolve track is more semi-live reaktor twiddling. only thing i was trying to do was make all drums/fartsnares with a monosynth (the ensemble 'Deep Energy' in this case).. agreed it goes nowhere, just a bit of a test.. i like that splatty bit around 2:45 too, definitely want to try making it continue evolving in that direction :) thanks for the feedback!

this is michael jackson: the video is just an unfinished/abandoned version of a game i was making..some kind of trippy racing/shoot-em-up thing.. (coding arcade games is my other thing i like doing. i'm in coding mode atm and not been doing any music...i cycle between these...)

• 1 month later...

first track i've made since last time..

https://soundcloud.com/eryngi777/uland3

trying to break some habits, doing stuff in a different way than usual, forcing myself not to use my usual plugin crutches.. not worrying about mix/master/what all the notes are etc... this is kinda cheesy and annoying, i like it

wow thanks gemini archives! reckon that's the best thing anyone's said about my stuff =D

will definitely mess around with tape more soon.. the walkman i used has something slightly wrong with it where the sound sometimes goes all muffled and pans around.. holding down pause part way makes it fix itself. might try with some noise reduction next time. or like, record with dolby C NR and then playback with it off - does some weird compression which sometimes sounds cool and sometimes sounds amazingly bad.

friday night wip jam

https://soundcloud.com/eryngi777/jurate-v4

Like this Jurate4 one a lot! Very cool vibe and I dig whatever's happening in the drum world.

thanks avnerheart! been tweaking that jurate track a bit more.. i think the bass drum might be toooo low, gotta wrangle them frequencies.

i got in the habit of always using this fake tape megasquasher plugin on master tracks. like, right from the start of writing a track, haha. i really like the sound of this particular plugin (i forget what it's called) and it makes things very loud but i've been way overusing it i reckon. been happier with results since i gave it up and started trying to mix things a bit more properly.. i'll bring it out again once tracks are actually finished and already sounding alright, maybe

• 2 weeks later...

thanks heaps Stickfigger! i do love a bit of gamelan =)

found some old sessions i thought i'd lost.. tracks i like, but don't really want to keep working on, so might put up a lil free ep on bandcamp. just trying to make them sound a bit better. first one:

http://nyarlu.net/moz2b.mp3

EDIT, slightly squashed version, louder, main synth thing more in ur face:

http://nyarlu.net/moz2c.mp3

simple little track.. i'm not that happy with some of the drums n stuff, but yeahhh probably won't mess with it any more, except for the mixing - any feedback on that would be much appreciated!

(might end up recording it to cassette and back, lol. i found another tape deck in an op shop the other day and it sounds pretty nice)

EDIT2 another version with slightly less boring drums, might be worse, i can't tell any more :)

http://nyarlu.net/moz3b.mp3 .. it's way overworked now. might strip it down and start again..

'I've got moss' is really nice, I like the combinations of layers from the start to the end, it trasmits a feeling of lightness, it's clear and complex at the same time and this is the most important thing in idm for me. I like your approach. 

'I've got moss' is really nice, I like the combinations of layers from the start to the end, it trasmits a feeling of lightness, it's clear and complex at the same time and this is the most important thing in idm for me. I like your approach. 

thanks much!

thought i'd just quickly mix these old tracks but instead fell down a starting-new-tracks-out-of-the-ruins-of-the-old-ones rabbit hole. obviously.

https://soundcloud.com/eryngi777/cant-help-u-b

• 2 weeks later...

not a track WIP but, one of the videogames i'm slowly making (an evolution of the one in the video earlier in this thread), not really feeling inspired to take it further as a game, but it looks pretty cool so thought i might try to turn it into a simple VJ/lightsynth tool, for doing a one-off music video with. it's very one-note so far. here's a test vid from last night - i put in some controls to make the camera move in and out randomly / geometry turn inside out. it's somewhat random and unpredictable. there's no automatic beat syncing or anything like that, it's manual only, so this is me playing it live, vaguely attempting to do some stuff in time with the music. except when i'm not. music's an old abandoned track of mine. 

very early build / placeholder graphics / etc, not particularly effective as a music video yet.. but it came up with some bits i liked, here and there..

i like the first one better, can't even realize it is the same song... anyway, what's that playing on that video?

love this track. went quickly thorugh the other vids, maybe you re did this somwehre, but man, this version as excellent

Archived