IGNORED

Post songs that resemble/likely influenced other songs

Zephyr_Nova

Often when I'm checking out music from past eras, I often come across bits that remind me a lot of specific parts from newer tracks.  Sometimes the similarity is close enough that I believe the older track likely influenced the newer one, especially it's from an artist the newer one would be into.  This happens often enough that I thought it would be worth making a thread to document it.  Should be a fun exercise.  Here's an example I just stumbled upon to start things off:

The riff from Nirvana - Come as You Are I think was likely influenced by Killing Joke - Eighties.  It's almost the exact same progression (tuned one half step up) and even uses a similar chorus effect on the guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1U1Ue_5kq8

And the Nirvana track for anyone unfamiliar:

This sort of thing is so common, it's always surprising to me when someone sues for plagiarism and actually wins (in music)... especially when it's just riff, or a groove (like in that Marvin Gaye vs. Robin Thicke thing -ridiculous!)  Every other song I hear on the radio could be put on trial really.  Most music just isn't that original, and that's okay.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Often when I'm checking out music from past eras, I often come across... 

Goddamnit that redundant second "often" is going to kill me every time i open this thread.  Can a mod please edit it out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wACCgCCjRc

Radiohead had to pay this band because it sounded too much like Creep, but I think that's bullshit. 

Hmmm, the double whammy of the chord progression along with the melody in the bridge section of Creep makes it a pretty legit case.  But isn't Radiohead suing Lana Del Ray for ripping off Creep?  There are some obvious borrowed ideas there too, but it's pretty ironic... and I think it should again be the Hollies taking her to court.  

Ooh I'm liking the song equation theories.  That's taking it to another level.

So according to Kerrang magazine, Killing Joke did file a lawsuit against Nirvana for copying that riff for Come as you Are, but dropped the case after Cobain's death.  Grohl later played drums on one of their albums.  Interesting!

I always felt Quincy Jones really liked Everybody Wants To Rule The World and then employed (stole) that 12/8 shuffle feel with that massive bass for The Way You Make Me Feel two or three years later.

Haha totally.  But also, that bass/synthline + beat from Talking in Your Sleep shifted around slightly = the main loop from MC Hammer's You Can't Touch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otCpCn0l4Wo

This is fun.

I made that same Chicago/Green Day connection just last week.  My friend's brass band's covering that Chicago song, and when he showed it to me I was like "are you guys covering that Green Day song?"  Which was exactly how his GF responded when he showed her. 

There are a lot of Beck songs we could do this with.  i can't remember them all at the moment, but there's a ton.  He's king of refurbishing old classics.

But also, that bass/synthline + beat from Talking in Your Sleep shifted around slightly = the main loop from MC Hammer's You Can't Touch this.

This is fun.

Talking in Your Sleep track was two years later than Superfreak.

But also, that bass/synthline + beat from Talking in Your Sleep shifted around slightly = the main loop from MC Hammer's You Can't Touch this.

This is fun.

Talking in Your Sleep track was two years later than Superfreak.

Oh yeah, of course!  I was at a restaurant two nights ago and it played too.  Totally forgot about that.  

Ooh I'm liking the song equation theories.  That's taking it to another level.

So according to Kerrang magazine, Killing Joke did file a lawsuit against Nirvana for copying that riff for Come as you Are, but dropped the case after Cobain's death.  Grohl later played drums on one of their albums.  Interesting!

I don't think Killing Joke ever filed a lawsuit. I believe they discussed the idea but decided against it. They've done a bunch of collab stuff since.

Also there's a whole subreddit dedicated to nirvana being influenced by songs. Some are legit, some not so much.

couple videogame ones..

Paranoid Android

and this track from King's Field 4:

Blade Runner end theme

and this music from Judge Dredd for C64!

.. well maybe..

Archived