IGNORED

Daniel Avery - Song For Alpha

Soloman Tump

First single / EP from the album is "Slow Fade" which is a real beauty, 12" out now.

Looking forward to this album, Drone Logic was a great album, full of great club tracks that work well with home listening too.

Was going to post this, heard Slow Fade on 6 Music yesterday morning. Reminded me of mellow vintage Plastikman, rest of the Slow Fade EP is pretty good too

^ I heard it Saturday afternoon on 6music, Erol Alkan has been sitting in for Gilles Peterson and has been playing some great music for a national daytime radio show.  Be a shame to see him go, hope he gets some more shows in the future.

Its brilliant 6 Music actually caters to our tastes every now and then. Mary Ann Hobbs played Slow Fade as her Sunriser track, just a case of me turning the radio on at the right time. Will be interested to see if the album lives up to the EP's promise.

• 2 months later...

Really like this guy, something really straightforward about his sound that's lush and dance-y without being too mainstream nor pigeonhold into some niche genre, sounds like good mid-90s house/techno without the "old" fidelity and production

Aye it's a bit too indebted to Plastikman but I like the clean sound.

Said this before, but I see him as the dark/techno version of what Gui Boratto is for light/house. Like if you told me they were same person it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Haven't listened to Gui Boratto in ages, he was a Kompakt signing right? Need to dig deeper into Plastikman too.

Aye, first two albums good. Fell off after. Interested to know if you see the Avery thing or if it's just me.

Plastikman is a fucking legend. His album as FUSE - Dimension Intrusion also wonderful. 

Haven't listened to Gui Boratto in ages, he was a Kompakt signing right? Need to dig deeper into Plastikman too.

Aye, first two albums good. Fell off after. Interested to know if you see the Avery thing or if it's just me.

Plastikman is a fucking legend. His album as FUSE - Dimension Intrusion also wonderful. 

I'll give those a listen, I know I did years and years ago when I read Simon Reynolds Energy Flash but at the time I couldn't get into Richie Hawtin's stuff (this was back in 2006 or so after he put out DE9)

I'm going to see Daniel Avery at Nuits Sonores next month. Not particularly for him but he has 'curated' a day and the lineup is spectacular:

He's mentioned deep techno artists like Dozzy being a big influence and don't see that here apart from Nobu, so just assume they booked acts and put them in with curator that fitted best. 

https://www.nuits-sonores.com/les-programmes/ns-days-2/

I'm going to see Daniel Avery at Nuits Sonores next month. Not particularly for him but he has 'curated' a day and the lineup is spectacular:

He's mentioned deep techno artists like Dozzy being a big influence and don't see that here apart from Nobu, so just assume they booked acts and put them in with curator that fitted best.

https://www.nuits-sonores.com/les-programmes/ns-days-2/

Objekt and call super will be special

was interested, bit stumped by the lack of previews - quite used to full streams of albums now - then an upload of the entire thing on youtube the day it was released ... not heard more than previews, but didn't (and don't, won't) like the retrospective interest in very 4/4 style tracks that were a separate vein at one time, and don't like how it's somehow trying hard to align itself with other work rather than do it's own thing ... 20 years too late, too.

somehow trying hard to align itself with other work rather than do it's own thing ... 20 years too late, too.

Have to agree, unfortunately.

Its like a pastiche of some acidic Chemical Brothers moments mixed up with some 4/4 tracks released through R&S.  Slow Fade is my highlight.

Drone Logic had a sense of experimentation and some great "fuuuc yesss" dancefloor moments littered throughout.  "Water Jump" makes me want to fist pump and pogo every time.

somehow trying hard to align itself with other work rather than do it's own thing ... 20 years too late, too.

Have to agree, unfortunately.

Its like a pastiche of some acidic Chemical Brothers moments mixed up with some 4/4 tracks released through R&S.  Slow Fade is my highlight.

I agree as well, very much a reinventing the wheel album but well executed imo. Jamie XX's releases are in the same camp for me as well.I remember a lot of Chemical Brothers and Underworld comparisons mentioned with Daniel Avery's first album. Would of loved to have had this stuff come out in the early 00s when I was getting into electronic music but trance seemed to dominate. 

I liked Drone Logic for the reasons as Fletcher pointed out but at the end of the day there's a ton of new Autechre to listen too which is priority atm (I haven't even started!) And I'm also going through The Byrds and bits of Alva Noto's back catalogue (yes The Byrds!)

Unless I get major feedback via watmm HQ that this is the bees-knees I'll probably give this a miss atm. There's only so many hours in the day!! Soz Dan.

there's a ton of new Autechre to listen too which is priority atm (I haven't even started!) 

man I'm always late to AE - I get to it and love it (one of my favorite live show experiences too) but I just don't follow them the same way I do RDJ or BoC

man I'm always late to AE - I get to it and love it (one of my favorite live show experiences too) but I just don't follow them the same way I do RDJ or BoC

Same here. AE harder to digest than RDJ or BoC, and requires a certain steely-eyed pair of ears to listen too. But I'm sure that's what Autechre strive for.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived