IGNORED

Palmbomen II - Memories of Cindy

joshuatxuk

Palmbomen II returns with Memories of Cindy, an intimate collection of eulogic, supernatural house music made for a muse and to bemuse those who make (first) contact. A haunted memory hole of hardware grooves, celestial synth pads and lonesome vocals, Kai Hugo’s warped west coast vantage has never seemed so surreal but certain.

Been obsessed with this project recently, especially his amazing video series (see part 1 above)

CD/Digital album is out now, on bandcamp and streaming on spotify.

Mmm. I dunno. I picked up a copy of this back last November. Listening again now, there are some good pieces but there are also some real clunkers.

I think his talents really lie in the created commercials and understanding the very specific aesthetics they require. But somehow, that imagined landscape he manages to build gets lost when it transitions to the music.

Mmm. I dunno. I picked up a copy of this back last November. Listening again now, there are some good pieces but there are also some real clunkers.

I think his talents really lie in the created commercials and understanding the very specific aesthetics they require. But somehow, that imagined landscape he manages to build gets lost when it transitions to the music.

are you sure it was the same album? pretty sure it only came out this year. 

Yeah, Parts 1 - 3 were available on vinyl last year on Discogs, it's only this fourth part (that collects together the other parts 1-3) which saw a general release today - effectively bringing it all together.

^ what he said.  There are also 3 parts to the video which coincided as teasers for the eps.

Im also just finding out about the project as an album though, looking forward to listening to it all!  The videos are pretty amazing, i was reading in an interview and he did the animation/music for the hilarious ads.

Pt 2

Pt 3

As much I enjoyed a full listen of it start to finish, objectively I would agree it's a bit bloated and tad unfocused. Near 1 hr 30 minutes iirc. For every standout track there's a decent lo-fi house track that could of been a cut from any of his peers in the genre. 

I feel like he's honing in on his own sound nonetheless, especially in his application of "tape decay" and this imagined universe he's forged in his video series, and this is a big step forward for him as a producers. I think (and hope) this is something of a transitional album.

• 4 months later...

Yeah I was meaning to post that in a new thread. Liked it just as much as Memories of Cindy though it has more of an outtakes / sessions vibe to it...less conceptional. I swear some tracks are in the video series.

• 1 month later...

Archived