Sign in to follow this  
Stickfigger

Melted Self

Hey Juventae, thanks for listening! Agreed re:mix, going to look at doing a remaster of that track and the others on its EP at some point :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

really like that one! mental image-> an AI performing a speed sort through slices of some 90s downtempo track, putting all the pieces in places, trying to make sense of it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

love those breaks. those little pauses are really well placed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the words Wobs and darrie... interestingly wobs at the moment I am remixing / using all my old Reason tracks as source material for this stuff so you weren't far off ... no intelligence was used tho in the making of the musics 

Edited by Stickfigger
  • Like 1

Savage - how have I been sleeping on your tunes for so long? Mental breakery and glitchy AF. Is this all software or...? Not to make a comparison but it’s v autechrey 

• Like 1

Yo. Thanks for listening. Glad you enjoyed it. Yes, go and listen to my stuff, then purchase it please.

Re: method, the only software is cubase, the rest is all hardware.

Ha, yeah i'm a faen so this comes through 

*Opens wallet*

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

rad! your mixing/production gotten real good.. it always sounded nice but is way more solid now than what i remember of when i first joined here a couple years ago, your stuff had a sort of delicateness to it where it wasn't quite all melted together. to my ears anyway.  this is beautifully cohesive.

Edited by eryngi
  • Like 1

Thanks for the kind words wobs!

Uh.... . . wtf? somehow I missed out on these two tracks. Damn, coulda been jamming on 'em for months!!! Tribii is the most immediately accessible and, no joke, may be among my favorite things I've heard from you. Othplaiss is a bit of a monster of a track - actually think these two work well because Tribii is (very relatively) straighforward - Othplaiss is sort of like the Odyssey. . . lots of treks to many different locales. 

Oh - yes, the mixing/production here is, as noted, top of the game. Solid shit, hope these get released in HQ at some point. . .

• Like 1

Thanks for the words Tessier! 

Yep these tracks are being collated for a LP or collection of EPs... not sure yet... will have to see how they all sound once they're finished as there is about 18 of them in various stages of completion...  Some will be longer pieces like 0thplaiss and others shorter little treks. Glad you enjoyed them

• Like 1

On 5/18/2019 at 12:30 PM, Stickfigger said:

Ok, here's some completely unstructured feedback.
I really like the atmosphere in this tune. Some of the sound design is *chef's kiss*.
The drone in the background has way too much low mid. Carve some of it out to make room for some of your other elements. I'm sure if you carve a nice hole around 200hz you'll hear things clear up quite a lot.
There are some weird gaps in the music a couple of places. I don't know if this was a bounce issue, but it kinda throws me off.

The intro is a bit sudden. The track just kinda starts with a million miles per hour. It would be so easy to make a solid intro for this tune. Start out with that nice kick you've got, the drone, and that weird arp thingie you've got going. Leave out the breakbeat samples until way later because I can easily see those being introduced around 0:14 instead. You've got a nice reverse snare that would be the perfect introduction to that part.

Things seem to fade in and out of this tune so I kinda don't know where we are. For instance, at 1:24 the kick seems to disappear and I think this is... a break of some sort? But that nice kick reappears around 2:05 and now I don't really know why it left in the first place because the track sounds the same as before and nothing really happened in the break?

But those brass synthy chords you introduce here are super fucking nice. I want to hear more of them and less of all the other things that are going on as they're introduced because they kinda drown. You've got a super mellow and melancholic vibe going here and I wanna hear more of that. So why not make that section in a nice little break and then boom. Reintroduce the drums - maybe in a bit of a more structured fashion. I know it's IDM as fuck but I kinda feel like the drums are a bit too random which makes it hard for me to groove with it.

Sweet Jesus. I hope you don't take this the wrong way. As I said, I like the atmosphere and I think there's a lot of unfulfilled potential in this track 🙂

• Like 1

Lol thanks for the write up man I appreciate you taking the time to do that ! This was a live recording to stereo so can't separate all of the elementa unfortunately ! I think the gaps you were talking about where the spaces that darrie said he liked ? Lol 

I think the fading in and out you're hearing would be the octatrack transitioning between scenes which would be tied to a bunch of EQ paremeters and what not 

Tribii - the beat-repeat type effects and edits are deliciously well done.