IGNORED

10 Years of Quaristice

Jaazeps

I joined WATMM for Quaristice. It's still overall my fave. There's something really special about the mood and pacing of it that makes it feel like a dream or a movie more than any other Autechre. It's got the master's touch.

io was made with whole-tone scales which are often associated with the feeling of being in a dream

There is a bit of that for sure... lots more to it than that though.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember when I first heard fol4, sat at my desk on a Sunday afternoon, listening through my shitty desktop speakers, and it just clicked and I thought this has the genesis of the most incredible thing I've ever heard. the orgasmic crunch of it. It doesn't always hit. But when it does it's satisfying.

i fucking love rale, really overlooked.

IO is fascinating,

Quaristice has some of my favourite autechre on it. Brief moments of them at their most inspired. I can't find the language to describe it. 'Fresh' doesn't seem enough.

this made me smile, I've known about this cover for months and finally listened to it, better than I expected !

This is pretty cool. I've never found this melody/riff/whatever particularly fascinating until now.

I remember when I first heard fol4, sat at my desk on a Sunday afternoon, listening through my shitty desktop speakers, and it just clicked and I thought this has the genesis of the most incredible thing I've ever heard. the orgasmic crunch of it. It doesn't always hit. But when it does it's satisfying.

lol, first time I listened to fol4 it came on shuffle on my iPod while I was high and shopping at a thrift store and i was TERRIFIED. ideal experience.

by a considerable margin ae's worst album. sorry folks i just never liked it. it's not bad, but sounds like an ae imitator, especially considering the two albums that sandwich this one are staggering works of genius that do not sound like anything else before or after. every track on oversteps is more interesting than the best quaristice tracks. I applaud ae for trying this and all the bonus stuff, but the quality of the music is not as high. 

one thing I will say is that i didn't like the cover at first but now i really fucking love it.

by a considerable margin ae's worst album. sorry folks i just never liked it. it's not bad, but sounds like an ae imitator, especially considering the two albums that sandwich this one are staggering works of genius that do not sound like anything else before or after. every track on oversteps is more interesting than the best quaristice tracks.

I can't compute this.

tbh, you're just wrong. I don't think I've ever said that on the internet in 14 years of reading forums and I've read a lot of wrongness. You've pushed it too far this time.

I mostly agree with Lopez, and regarding the date (i didn't want to ruin the celebration coz i'm an amiable unit) - it could have been 10 years old at the day of release easily, i wouldn't bother to notice.

What i disagree with is the comparison with Oversteps, both had generic moments and nice moments with dominance of the former.

as for quaristice, i love this album if only because i really love some of the shorter tracks on it. i tend to think of it as a long ep (i actually think ep7 feels closer to an album than this one) and despite sounding hit-and-miss to me for quite a few years, i've come to appreciate nearly all the tracks on it now. even fwzE and bnc Castl appeal to me in a clark/venetian snares sort of way, they're just so fucking MANIC. it's good to have it in your shuffle once in a while but i don't think anything from the Q era stands up to a solid listen-thru.

on that note, who here has listened to subrange 6-36 all the way thru? i think last time i did it was years ago. the 2014 re-release of Neroli by Brian Eno comes with a second disc featuring 'New Space Music' and i think i've already listened to that in one go more often than 6-36, as far as hour-long ambient compositions go...

I've listened to 6-36 over 636 times. It only gets better each listen

ah thank god! i'm not the only one.... more crazy ppl here ;)

imo this track is pure fakn genius! one day when humankind finds itself drifting in deep space they'll finally understand this one.

Archived