IGNORED

James Blake - If The Car Beside You Moves Ahead

Kavinsky

Not trolling. I just think it's shit music (OPN, Burial too). It just feels fake, manufactured feels. 

An analogy to me would be if you belonged to some cooking/restaurant forums and someone was plugging Mcdonalds as Haute cuisine. You'd be kind of "wtf" about it.

There are way better artists in these here forums. We're all entitled to our opinions - I'm just a little extra animated and antagonizing here because I think it's THAT bad. 

*shrugs*

edit: sorry if I offended anyone  :catcry:

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not trolling. I just think it's shit music (OPN, Burial too). It just feels fake, manufactured feels. 

An analogy to me would be if you belonged to some cooking/restaurant forums and someone was plugging Mcdonalds as Haute cuisine. You'd be kind of "wtf" about it.

There are way better artists in these here forums. We're all entitled to our opinions - I'm just a little extra animated and antagonizing here because I think it's THAT bad. 

*shrugs*

edit: sorry if I offended anyone  :catcry:

burial is on of the deepest human electronic music i can imagine but ok , and no you didnt offend anyone just your weird opinion ;)

There are way better artists in these here forums

where????

exept MAYBE those twats from the subforums, but who the fuck here makes better music then james blake show them! someone enlighten me

Ok Ivan you're right, I'm wrong. James Blake is amazing it's wonderful, soulful great music. 

My opinions and musical preferences were objectively wrong, I should never have doubted James Blake. His stuff is next level, god tier music. I don't know what was wrong with me. But I can see clearly now.

I was being flippant, but it is actually soulful I'll give it that. I listened to Overgrown earlier. I think he should stick to that type of music compared to the track the op posted here.

It doesn't bring anything new to the IDM table but I do applaud his willingness to shake off normies like a wet dog with this one. It was interesting to hear how high pitched the cheers were for him at Day for Night. It led me to conclude that this will have a 50 Shades effect on those hapless girls. They will feel punished by these weird sounds but will come to love the sadism doled out by the handsome hero.

before vocals in his tracks

James-Blake-001.jpg?w=1200&h=630&q=55&au

blake.new_.rns_.main00.jpg

james-blake-630.jpg

after vocals in his tracks

James-Blake-1.jpg

james-blake-170217.jpg

jamesblake970.jpg

I like this, it's fine. Yall are silly. I dont care how avant garde it is, it's just like, music, man. I gotta give James Blake respect just for the piano part on Kendrick's "Element" - it's the element of the track that holds everything together, and it makes that shit bang. And this is good, it's catchy and kinda interesting. It reminds me of arthur russell in a 2018 pop kinda way.

Yall have been talking about how great his early work is for like 7 years or some shit, why bother complaining if you dont like what he does now? You dont have to listen to it.

There's this visceral hatred here for anyone who is percieved as "selling out", or making music that is positively recieved by women. Maybe consider how sexist that is.

Also, making shit appeal to women for $ is nothing new; I have been listening to a lot of interviews with historic figures in hip hop, and many of the most respected rappers did shit to appeal to the female listeners, as they would buy more CDs than men.

Here's a lil stat quote:

Over 2/3 of Top Single Download purchases were of artists with a female majority fanbase

Over 80% of Top Album purchases were of artists with a female majority fanbase

These are not slightly in favor of songs geared towards females. This is heavily in favor.

This from the first google result I found, but I have seen stats like this elsewhere

There's this visceral hatred here for anyone who is percieved as "selling out", or making music that is positively recieved by women. Maybe consider how sexist that is.

I think this might be the first time I've read something like this. 

Why would music being positively received by women affect anyone else's enjoyment of it?

I'm not saying you're wrong I'm just wondering where you got that impression. 

The sellout thing, I can see that for sure. I've seen comments (even from myself) along those lines.

Also, making shit appeal to women for $ is nothing new; I have been listening to a lot of interviews with historic figures in hip hop, and many of the most respected rappers did shit to appeal to the female listeners, as they would buy more CDs than men.

Here's a lil stat quote:

Over 2/3 of Top Single Download purchases were of artists with a female majority fanbase

Over 80% of Top Album purchases were of artists with a female majority fanbase

These are not slightly in favor of songs geared towards females. This is heavily in favor.

This from the first google result I found, but I have seen stats like this elsewhere

it's the majority of females who are sexist as hellfuk (and stupid) for buying/listening to sellout crap and supporting a singer/producer/whatever, just cause he/her is hot and is riding the trend dicktrain making lazy and hollow craft

fuck yeah i got hatred for that shit! else i wouldn't be here

from the resident advisor interview:
08.06.2016 - Sean Booth: I'll tell you what though, when I first heard that James Blake remix of Untold, "Stop What You're Doing," I was blown away. I was like, "How is he managing this level of intensity with soul chords like that?" Nobody would do that! That'd be the thing for me, it'd have to be new to that extent. I really .

from the resident advisor interview:

08.06.2016 - Sean Booth: I'll tell you what though, when I first heard that James Blake remix of Untold, "Stop What You're Doing," I was blown away. I was like, "How is he managing this level of intensity with soul chords like that?" Nobody would do that! That'd be the thing for me, it'd have to be new to that extent. I really .

good ol sean! and a nice reminder to get me some more hemlock records, underated label

Why would music being positively received by women affect anyone else's enjoyment of it?

The sellout thing, I can see that for sure. I've seen comments (even from myself) along those lines.

Just the comments earlier in the thread about "shrill/high pitched screams" at the James Blake concert and female fans, as well as the distain WATMM showed for Machinedrum seemingly pandering to ladies to get laid, implying some unsavory things about his fanbase since he deviated from the IDM agenda... I'm just saying, it's legit to call an artist cringy or whatever, but dont rag on them or their fans because of their gender or because theyre not tryin to appeal to your braindance sensibilites. To each their own, right?

Just the comments earlier in the thread about "shrill/high pitched screams" at the James Blake concert and female fans, as well as the distain WATMM showed for Machinedrum seemingly pandering to ladies to get laid, implying some unsavory things about his fanbase since he deviated from the IDM agenda... I'm just saying, it's legit to call an artist cringy or whatever, but dont rag on them or their fans because of their gender or because theyre not tryin to appeal to your braindance sensibilites. To each their own, right?

^ I think I always find myself hard pressed to rip on artists who have earned their keep and shift toward mainstream / pop sensibilities, intentionally or not, compared to those who try so hard from the onset to capitalize on a trendy sound or aesthetic

I can't really get on that bandwagon with bashing present day James Blake or Machinedrum. Came to the same conclusion with Grimes - didn't like her last album too much but I had no qualms about it as a fan either.

Archived