IGNORED

jordan peterson

zaphod

Some people would say. in looking at my career, that it betrays a confused standpoint; optimistically it is termed unpredictable. more derisively it is said to be self-cancelling, in that within the wide aesthetic range in the work, one part contradicts and undermines another, resulting in something akin to the mixing of all the different paints on the palette. This is an important point to realise: I take no refuge behind standpoints. This has manifested itself as part of my fundamental creative aspiration- to see across as opposed to seeing from. At first, there needs to be the presence both of a view rooted in inherited opinion, effectively treated as transparent and assumed to be inherently correct, and a will to play with that view, to endlessly distort it and to ultimately be prepared to destroy it. A kind of simultaneous faith and critical ingenuity are required as, without the latter one is bound to a reverential repetition of received wisdom, and without the former ones sparks quickly die away once the entrenched standpoint is supposedly vanquished. To make a lethal attack on, say a musical standpoint, that standpoint must first be loved, understood and accommodated before it can be assailed, and this problem is exemplified with much youth culture that seeks to destroy its perceived antithetical enemy simply by contradicting it. It is not enough to behead your enemy, they must first be invited in and made to feel welcome in order to be comprehensively destroyed i.e. they must be in some way incorporated.

This process should seem familiar as it is the time honoured way of dissipating polarised energy away from particular movements: by making them popular. What I am doing is turning this system on its head: instead of incorporating isolated views into mainstream equivalents, for the sake of destroying culture in the name of the corporation, I incorporate isolated views into my standpoint, indeed to the point of seemingly cancelling out a coherent view for the sake of destroying culture in the name of the corporation, I incorporate isolated views into my standpoint, indeed to the point of seemingly cancelling out a coherent view for the sake of destroying culture in the name of individual. In this sense advocate completely respect-less exploitation of all forms available, as this is the only road that could possibly render an individual immune to being dissolved into mainstream castration, insofar as the music industry as it stands feeds most happily on artists with discrete viewpoints: identity-cults can only be effectively generated from one dimensional personalities. Personal identity must be entirely subjugated and rendered formless in order to have any sort of freedom in our era. A common error is mistaking contradiction or negation of a consensus view for freedom: this leads to phenomena symbiotic with mainstream culture and equally poisonous i.e. movements who identify themselves exclusively with a cynical commentary on the mainstream. This is a dustbin for so called artists: diametrically opposed to the mainstream, they are still very much obliged to march to its tune, or of course its inversion. Being conscious of the fallacy in their claim of independence, the views always deliberately remain self-contained, and just as a surfeit of cultural control gives rise to overweight smug cretins, an almost total absence of it gives rise to the revolting snide dinginess of the eternally subjugated. The lesson is that no punks have yet been punk enough - rejecting and negating the mainstream just as quickly becomes subsumed in its own poisonous cliches, (thus often becoming eligible for mass production).

It is essential for any creator to want to negate and to reject, but this has to be coupled with a consummate understanding of the phenomena one seeks to reject. Otherwise, not understanding the language of negation, the object of the negating will misunderstands what is being shouted at it. and caries on regardless. I have learned to see inside every musician's head because, in order to prevent myself from being fully incorporated into any musical ghetto, I have to incorporate every ghetto into myself. I aspire to make ideas useless as a commodity i.e. a prop for the identities and personalities of the mindless: and if this is all that constitutes in our era, then to maximise every conceivable parameter until it completely destroys itself.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2018/03/the-intellectual-we-deserve

really rips into the the intellectual vacuousness of JBP.

The related Sam Seder interview yesterday is a great listen, too. But I'm not posting it, I'm posting this instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbGpnYXYlIU

lol

but seriously guys I bet ur rooms are just absolute filth

tbqh, my room is an absolute trainwreck. There’s some 3 years old half-built electronics project buried underneath bicycle parts, lots of cables & adapters & cartons & clothes & computer stuff etc.. but fuck Peterson though, the only thing to be done with the room is to leave. The mistake is to work & sleep in the same room it sucks. I’m in the process of moving into the smaller, nicer room within the same apartment and I have RUGS and there will be no computer shit or adhoc media arts studio in there. The old room will be an office / media lab thing, these are supposed to be fkn mess I just need to sort the clothes & bike parts tbh ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

^that's part of the thing with all of these articles despising him(edit: and critique of him in general), he IS helping people and the method he provides works: https://www.nature.com/articles/palcomms201514

what alternatives do they provide?

why do you think what petersen says or do is important, or useful? is he helping anyone? i mean, he's a clinical psychologist, surely in his practice he might have helped someone, but there are millions other therapists around that don't go around writing self-help books and waving around their political opinions disguised as deep philosophical and scientific insights---and repelling questions yelling 'oh i didn't said that at all' and whatnot. is helping people selling them a self-help book? if he sold billions of copies, did he helped a billion people?

does a 'ye oh lord bless him his book made me see the world in a whole new light blah blah just bought two copies of his bible!' comment on youtube count as a helped people?

and what do you mean with this 'providing alternatives' stuff? what alternatives, to psychotherapy? and by whom, his critics? is it even related?

his 'helping method' is what, his clinical sessions? or his political shit about people---i'm sorry, individuals---being 'responsible' and keeping their shit straight (no pun intended), i mean, no shit! and telling 'young men' to blame everything on the marxists? :wtf:

just read that article with the 'maps of meaning' quotes... :wtf: and the figures!

the study which I linked shows that his self authoring program reduced gender and ethnic inequalities in achievement for ~1000 students in a university.. that was the 'method' I was referring to... and yes what should one do instead of setting their life straight? that was my point.

I have stated before I think his views on the political climate are too extreme, altough it does apparently apply for Canada and here in Sweden. (edit: and apparently also the UK)

I simply don't buy people saying that everything someone says is garbage.. go find out for yourself.. agree some disagree some

In what way does his vision of the political climate apply in Canada?

^that's part of the thing with all of these articles despising him(edit: and critique of him in general), he IS helping people and the method he provides works: https://www.nature.com/articles/palcomms201514

why do you think what petersen says or do is important, or useful? is he helping anyone? i mean, he's a clinical psychologist, surely in his practice he might have helped someone, but there are millions other therapists around that don't go around writing self-help books and waving around their political opinions disguised as deep philosophical and scientific insights---and repelling questions yelling 'oh i didn't said that at all' and whatnot. is helping people selling them a self-help book? if he sold billions of copies, did he helped a billion people?

does a 'ye oh lord bless him his book made me see the world in a whole new light blah blah just bought two copies of his bible!' comment on youtube count as a helped people?

and what do you mean with this 'providing alternatives' stuff? what alternatives, to psychotherapy? and by whom, his critics? is it even related?

his 'helping method' is what, his clinical sessions? or his political shit about people---i'm sorry, individuals---being 'responsible' and keeping their shit straight (no pun intended), i mean, no shit! and telling 'young men' to blame everything on the marxists? :wtf:

just read that article with the 'maps of meaning' quotes... :wtf: and the figures!

the study which I linked shows that his self authoring program reduced gender and ethnic inequalities in achievement for ~1000 students in a university.. that was the 'method' I was referring to... and yes what should one do instead of setting their life straight? that was my point.I have stated before I think his views on the political climate are too extreme, altough it does apparently apply for Canada and here in Sweden. (edit: and apparently also the UK)

I simply don't buy people saying that everything someone says is garbage.. go find out for yourself.. agree some disagree some

I said apparently because the perspective I get from your country is from him, perhaps he's completely wrong

let's wait a bit and see what happens shall we

JP seems to think that impressionable young students should be cleaning their room instead of focusing on big important issues. They don't know anything yet, so just clean your life up and ignore the political shitshow. Impressionable young students are his target market for fucks sake. Also, his rhetoric is meant to make people docile and feel proud of it, like cleaning your room is more important than standing up to the NRA after your school gets shot up. 

the study which I linked shows that his self authoring program reduced gender and ethnic inequalities in achievement for ~1000 students in a university.. that was the 'method' I was referring to... and yes what should one do instead of setting their life straight? that was my point.I have stated before I think his views on the political climate are too extreme, altough it does apparently apply for Canada and here in Sweden. (edit: and apparently also the UK)

I said apparently because the perspective I get from your country is from him, perhaps he's completely wrong

let's wait a bit and see what happens shall we

You get the perspective of an entire country from one guy?

I thought I illustrated pretty clearly how wrong he was on bill C-16. Guess not...

jeez, the media is obsessed with this guy he seems to be on every new site paper in the us and canada for the last 2 years, arent there other petersons around ?

jeez, the media is obsessed with this guy he seems to be on every new site paper in the us and canada for the last 2 years, arent there other petersons around ?

Immediately after reading this post, an artist I follow on twitter announced he was gonna do an animation stream on twitch so I went to check that out. On the twitch sidebar I see the current Super Mario 64 speedrun world record holder is streaming so I go see what's up, but it turns out he's not speedrunning but doing some kinda podcast. The very first words I hear are the super mario guy going "I've probably read like 2 books in my whole life, and that's because I was forced to. I got this book the other day though, Jordan Peterson's 12 rules for life, cause his talks are like so inspiring", to which one of the other 2 guys whips out the fucking book that he had at hand's reach and shows it on screen

Immediately after reading this post, an artist I follow on twitter announced he was gonna do an animation stream on twitch so I went to check that out. On the twitch sidebar I see the current Super Mario 64 speedrun world record holder is streaming so I go see what's up, but it turns out he's not speedrunning but doing some kinda podcast. The very first words I hear are the super mario guy going "I've probably read like 2 books in my whole life, and that's because I was forced to. I got this book the other day though, Jordan Peterson's 12 rules for life, cause his talks are like so inspiring", to which one of the other 2 guys whips out the fucking book that he had at hand's reach and shows it on screen

they have read 12 rules of life by Peterson and still playing super Mario ?

They bought it, more than enough.

Seriously though, if you've only read two books you're hardly going to understand what the hell JP is trying to convey. I guess it's a good supplement to the destruction videos.

No lost, meaning deprived, young souls shall be saved by peterson's writings for they must first comprehend them.

basically peterons is relevant because he stimulates people's conservative erogenous zones

that blog post was uploaded the 23d of march, after the walrus article was published. the way I see it I don't think he needs to make anything clear... I just find it odd that there is so much animosity against him

as for the centrist thing, I agree. if it's directed at him he refers to himself as a classic liberal. If it is directed at me im just 21, and still making my mind up about the world

JP seems to think that impressionable young students should be cleaning their room instead of focusing on big important issues. They don't know anything yet, so just clean your life up and ignore the political shitshow. Impressionable young students are his target market for fucks sake. Also, his rhetoric is meant to make people docile and feel proud of it, like cleaning your room is more important than standing up to the NRA after your school gets shot up. 

I think you're making stuff up, I've never seen him say anything against activism and protest, he seems very in favor of it.

they idea of cleaning your room is not to have a clean room but to bring some order and discipline in your life and thats a good first step. Its nothing new, its just people forget about these things.

Archived