IGNORED

jordan peterson

zaphod

tumblr_n73h9iKd6M1s97kvko1_500.png

this can lead to confusion. afaik "postmodernism" has been criticized
since the very beginning by philosophers/social scientists because of
its "anything goes" spirit, specially the epistemological side of
it. but it is quite popular in the art world and in aesthetics.

the term "modernity" is (still) more appropiate for describing what's
going on with western culture and society. the concept "reflexive
modernization" is pretty accurate imo. in the postmodern bandwagon
there are many critics of the changes set off by modernity, some in a
reactionary/traditionalist fashion.

regarding "marxism", i think it is useful to distinguish between a
theoretical and analytical side and a political side aka
communism. the latter, well, it is pretty crazy imo. but the former,
as an analytical framework, it is still useful in a pretty abstract
way: to dig into the concept of power and use it in further analysis
(political, social, economic, etc.); no dictatorship of the
proletariat here, sorry folks. and this has been quite innovative and
productive in social science since there are many disciplines that for
many years ignored (i guess for political reasons) power relations in
the study of social phenomena, such as sociology and economics.

anyway, i think peterson is missing the point trying to conflate
"postmodernism" with "cultural marxism". probably he is exaggerating
what he, as a conservative (nothing wrong with that!), has experienced
in the university microcosmos.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As above suggests postmodernism is just a tool of analysis of society not an ideology. Cultural marxism is a meaningless scare tactic used by certain cretinous sections of internet celebrity.

This one of jps better moments

https://thevarsity.ca/2017/10/08/jordan-peterson-i-dont-think-that-men-can-control-crazy-women/

As above suggests postmodernism is just a tool of analysis of society not an ideology. Cultural marxism is a meaningless scare tactic used by certain cretinous sections of internet celebrity.

https://thevarsity.ca/2017/10/08/jordan-peterson-i-dont-think-that-men-can-control-crazy-women/

I don't know if they've mangled his words or what but the stuff he talks about physicality and conflict in social interactions is total horseshit.

lol @ you can't control crazy women because you can't use the threat of beating them up to keep them civil.

I don't know if they've mangled his words or what but the stuff he talks about physicality and conflict in social interactions is total horseshit.

lol @ you can't control crazy women because you can't use the threat of beating them up to keep them civil.

yeah.. that shit's crazy.  i wonder if he fist fights small male children. 

srsly though.. this is one of those problems thats about him and not us. 

yeah.. that shit's crazy.  i wonder if he fist fights small male children. 

srsly though.. this is one of those problems thats about him and not us.

try watching the entire video instead of the precise bit that the author of that hit piece took completely out of context

in 3 minutes of that video JP managed to say women are “crazy,” “insane,” “pathological,” “harpies,” and that this is something “his wife has pointed out.” he explains that the foundation of civil discourse between males is the underlying threat of beating each other up. he then stated that it’s simply impossible for a male to respect another male if he knows the other will not fight him. the point of this extremely smart brain stuff is to...uh...show how that’s not possible between men and women bc fighting between them is “forbidden” by “the culture.” this means that men are victims as a result bc they can’t do their fighting stuff.

is this guy some kind of genius?

in 3 minutes of that video JP managed to say women are “crazy,” “insane,” “pathological,” “harpies,” and that this is something “his wife has pointed out.” he explains that the foundation of civil discourse between males is the underlying threat of beating each other up. he then stated that it’s simply impossible for a male to respect another male if he knows the other will not fight him. the point of this extremely smart brain stuff is to...uh...show how that’s not possible between men and women bc fighting between them is “forbidden” by “the culture.” this means that men are victims as a result bc they can’t do their fighting stuff.

try watching the entire video instead of the precise bit that the author of that hit piece took completely out of context

he's no trak genious, I tell ya hwat.

I’m busy, can you summarize the context? Ty

i'm going to kick your ass

Finally, a post that commands my respect and stabilizes th discourse.

Finally, a post that commands my respect and stabilizes th discourse.

we cool bro, we cool.  :diablo:

Yeah I'm not sure which is worse - The right wing nuts taking non-contexual snippets from his works to fuel their racist & sexist agendas, or left wing nuts taking non-contextual snippets to falsely apply a racist & sexist agenda

Yeah I'm not sure which is worse - The right wing nuts taking non-contexual snippets from his works to fuel their racist & sexist agendas, or left wing nuts taking non-contextual snippets to falsely apply a racist & sexist agenda

Ugh, don't talk to me about wing-nuts - Always remind me of this thing:

91o0gPCHEaL._SL1500_.jpg41du4izItSL.jpg

Those big sharp long bolts and those vulnerable many CDs (and my shaky hangs) combine to being the most rapidly declining value box set I own.

What is the context that is missing?

i’m genuinely curious to learn the context in which a grown man, a professional “psychologist” and “scholar” of myth can call women insane harpies and it doesn’t sound completely fucking stupid.

who's to say that insane people are truly insane

i’m genuinely curious to learn the context in which a grown man, a professional “psychologist” and “scholar” of myth can call women insane harpies and it doesn’t sound completely fucking stupid.

Not seen that full discussion before, but from the flagged spot in the article it seems to be him discussing how best to deal with discourse with "those women that are 'crazy'", rather than saying "women are crazy".

Not seen that full discussion before, but from the flagged spot in the article it seems to be him discussing how best to deal with discourse with "those women that are 'crazy'", rather than saying "women are crazy".

that's not a different context than what is presented in the flagged portion of the video tho. the context is him just talking about how his female opponents are "crazy." he generally mentions "crazy women" and "crazy harpy sisters," as well as describing the "female insanity" of a particular woman who compared him to a nazi. this is completely meaningless, petulant bullshit and he comes off as a simpleton and cry baby. "bitches be crazy" is not a compelling insight, sorry.

Archived