IGNORED

jordan peterson

zaphod

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i don't understand, so the post-modernist approach is to get rid of objective truth and use subjective truth as a way to get to subjective truth?

How would a post-modernist approach physics ? just grab random people from each continent and ask them how they think gravity works, and then what? resign yourself to the fact that there are so many interpretations of gravity that its just impossible to get to the truth (or an approximation of the truth). Deepak Chopra has an interpretation of physics, should we spend energy + resources listening and following Deepak's interpretation?

Why are subjective brains paramount? surely the best way to get to the truth is to remove the subjective brain entirely and use objectives tools.

As for moral relativism, conscious beings can suffer, that's all you need to know, if it was in the culture of some foreign population to rape girls when they turn 16 would you accept it, turn a blind eye and say "hey who am i to judge?". This is why cultural relativism is nonsense, while you sit there saying "who am i to judge" a conscious being is suffering.

As for moral relativism, conscious beings can suffer, that's all you need to know, if it was in the culture of some foreign population to rape girls when they turn 16 would you accept it, turn a blind eye and say "hey who am i to judge?". This is why cultural relativism is nonsense, while you sit there saying "who am i to judge" a conscious being is suffering.

this is such a blatant misunderstanding that i shouldn't even bother addressing this. i said this in my post but maybe you ignored it or didn't understand what i meant. morality and ethics are not excluded from postmodern thought. you can be outraged about rape and still exist within the postmodern sphere. please re-read my post.

I read your post and maybe you would do something about suffering but a lot of your post-modernist buddies reject the idea that X should tell Y how to behave, even tho how Y is behaving is causing lots of suffering.

Deer, on 21 Feb 2018 - 9:13 PM, said:snapback.png

this is such a blatant misunderstanding that i shouldn't even bother addressing this. i said this in my post but maybe you ignored it or didn't understand what i meant. morality and ethics are not excluded from postmodern thought. you can be outraged about rape and still exist within the postmodern sphere. please re-read my post. 

i don't understand, so the post-modernist approach is to get rid of objective truth and use subjective truth as a way to get to subjective truth?

no, it gets rid of ideology masquerading as objective truth (modernism) and instead approaches topics with multiple subjective interpretations which brings people closer to objective truth without ever reaching it as this would be an impossibility. 

How would a post-modernist approach physics ? just grab random people from each continent and ask them how they think gravity works, and then what? resign yourself to the fact that there are so many interpretations of gravity that its just impossible to get to the truth (or an approximation of the truth). Deepak Chopra has an interpretation of physics, should we spend energy + resources listening and following Deepak's interpretation?

i literally said informed by scientic evidence at the end of my post. postmodernism doesn't discount scientific evidence. it treats it as an important part of the puzzle, but not some grand glorious truth that trumps any counter argument. there is nothing in academia that says 'science doesn't mean shit because postmodernism, bitches'. this is a flawed characterisation at best, and i'm not even going to address deepak the idiot aside from saying i specifically advocated for the use of pomo thought as a tool to analyse and understand as many interpretations on a topic as possible. he has obviously failed to do this.

Why are subjective brains paramount? surely the best way to get to the truth is to remove the subjective brain entirely and use objectives tools.

no no no no no. you're missing the point. objectivity is paramount. but objectivity is informed through subjectivity. subjective ideas paint a picture of what the objective is. it is impossible to conceive the objective or to describe it without resorting to some degree of subjectivity, and it is foolish and arrogant for anyone to think that their interpretation on an issue is objectively correct. you can get close to objectivity and the truth but never reach it. the things we consider to be objectively true are best thought of as being 'as true as we can perceive to be reasonably treated as objective'. 

Its impossible to conceive the objective unless you have the right tools then its easier than the hype makes it out to be. For example take the relationship between color and light. A photon hits your eye, brains interprets that photon as a color (lets use blue as an example). Now lets say due to differences in the brain 3 out of 10 people see red instead of blue. How do we get to an objective truth here? the majority of people see blue but there is minority who sees red instead of blue, whats real and whats not, what is the true nature of the photon. The solution here is to measure the wavelength of the photon, and that is the objective truth in this example, not blue, not red, WAVELENGTH is the objective truth here. We have tools to competently remove subjectivity and get to an approximation of the truth.

Now, i cannot imagine how a post-modernist would solve this, because you would have to take all interpretations into account.

The year is 2021. Jordan Peterson sits in the green room of Madison Square Garden. He is on the Woke AF Philosophy Tour with Sam Harris and Stefan Molyneux. He is watching Harris through a monitor. Harris is on stage, manipulating one of those ASMR ear mics with a toothbrush. He occasionally whispers "islam must be eradicated" into the ears. The audience sits, rapt. Peterson gets up and walks to a wall with three candles to represent the pillars of Christian wisdom ; G.K. Chesterton, C.S. Lewis and T.D. Jakes. Peterson lights the candles and removes his shoes. There is thunderous applause through the walls. Harris enters the room, glides past Peterson, and inserts himself into a crevice in the wall. After a moment, three green bars appear on his face. On his forehead, the words "45% charged". There is a call to the room. Peterson breathes in, then walks out. A camera crew greets him near the stage. He punches the air, stops, looks into the camera, then laughs. He enters the stage. He sits on a sofa and looks out at the audience. Silence. He begins to speak. "Dostoevsky." Scattered applause. "Solzhenitsyn." Moderate applause. Peterson points at a man in the front row. "He's read the books, he's read them." Then he pumps his fist. "Orwell." Whoops and airhorns. "Derrida." Boos. Speaking louder. "Foucault." Someone throws a molotov onto the stage, Peterson kicks it away and it explodes. "CULTURAL." BOOOOO. "FUCKING." NOOOOOOO. "MARXISM." He collapses into the sofa. People are crying. Peterson sobs into his hand. "Post-modernism." People are holding each other. Peterson straightens his shoulders and yells. "Harry Potter. Pinocchio. Fathers. Sons." A chant begins to move through the crowd. Peterson stands and puts a hand to his ear. "I can't hear you." Sort it out. "I CAN'T BLOODY HEAR YOU." SORT IT OUT. He spreads his arms wide, then snaps his fingers. Total silence. He whispers. "bucko." The entire stadium explodes.

well taking all the interpretations into account would be what leads you to measure the wavelength

But how can you say that, you can spend all of eternity asking subjective brains for their interpretation of reality and never get to the truth, unless of course you create "objective reality measuring" frameworks and tools that exist outside subjective brains and that way you don't have to spend all of eternity asking subjective brains for interpretations of reality, you can save yourself time, energy and resources by not even bothering with subjective interpretations and using those tools and frameworks instead.

I don't see how this "taking the interpretations of subjective brains" approach is useful in any way specially since we all agree the brain is not the best objective reality measuring device.

before dawn they reach the M4F (martyrs 4 freespeech) bunker code name "JAQ" (just asking questions). by now sam hasn't been plugged in for almost 6 hours and he's completely red and is not making any sense. "sort yourself, man," peterson commands, "you're a gd neuroscientist." harris, his logic and reason board corrupted by his failing battery, obscenely retorts, "lol i've contributed nothing to my field." peterson shudders as he finally connects sam to the Thinkpad docking station. peterson heads to the dining hall wear he feels surrounded by his peers. milo sits alone at a table, an emeralite lamp shining over his many legal documents. peterson sees him, robbed of his book deal and representing himself in a tortured legal battle, and he weeps. "another victim of pcsjw." he surveys the rest of the facility, making sure there are no intruders and finally returns to the dining hall to assemble the entire M4F crew, every last member. once he and milo are comfortable he sketches out plan to combat the enemy. the first method is "science booyah," for instance, when discussing sexual harassment in the workplace proffer a science booyah such as "well, makeup is meant to replicate the reddening of a woman's face when she fucks." the next step is technical jargon from one's field of expertise. peterson uses his own field, psychology, as an example to help milo follow this method. "when facing my enemy i can confound them with technical terminology from psychology such as 'crazy' or 'insane,' and i can also incorporate a multidisciplinary method by added mythological terms like 'harpy.'" milo is completely out of his depth and wonders what his field is. "don't be a fool," peterson says, "you can do gay stuff!" milo quickly frosts his tips in response. "are there any more methods?" he asks. peterson leans back in his chair, crosses his arms, and smiles. "milo, milo, milo. so young. so naive. of course that's not all. i've saved the best for last." he explains his final technique in a hushed tone; they are martyrs after all and must be careful of spies. "after we've completely DEVASTATED....shhh...sorry....after we've devastated them as above then we distribute our literature." "our literature?" milo asks, taking his tortoiseshell frames off his nose. "yes, here" peterson hands him "12 rules of life" or whatever. milo holds the book carefully and turns the pages with reverence. "clean your room...don't lie...cultural marxism...," he reads aloud, "is this...our bible?" peterson stands completely straight up, shoulders back. "wooooah....he's doing the posture" milo mutters. peterson draws a huge phallic shape in the air and jerks it off. then, to milo's complete and utter amazement, the invisible spectral member cums, all over peterson's face. the ejaculate too is invisible, but milo can tell when peterson squints suddenly. taking this all in milo recognizes the master and falls to the floor in supplication.

i would have loved to see how Heidegger might have reacted to that women in the beginning or even many 20 century philosophers/psychologist. i´m sure they would never had so much patience or even the nerves to answer that women.
btw me neither lol

in this video he explains exactly what he means when he uses those terms (postmodernism, cultural marxism, etc). might be interesting to hear some thoughts about the arguments presented here?

just watched this. i was left speechless and now i feel debunked and DESTROYED

oh man, gonna leave this pic here. found it on "rationalwiki" while looking about why Jürgen Habermas was kicked out from the Frankfurt school (afaik, intellectual differences).

Pol_cultural_Marxism_conspiracy_flowchar

Archived