IGNORED

jordan peterson

zaphod

so here he answers some really cutting questions which I think correlate with alot of the criticism I have read on him both in this thread and outside, a very big contrast to the "circle-jerks" that some of his talks can come across as imo

edit: at 1:15:53 he addresses the claim to "ethnic pride" which is something I hadn't heard from him before, I'll edit in the questions here when they are compiled eventually

2:02:42 your critique of postmodernism is unfair (this might b interesting for alco)

just took a look at this, thanks for pointing me to the foucault bit. i'm sorry but this guy just really does not know wtf he's talking about. his one sentence summary of "madness and civilization" is just a simplistic "psychiatric categories are in part social constructs." cool story. the best bit though is how he then remarks of this "self evident" thesis "it's like great, we've known that since like 1960. it's just not that big a revelation." of course, this is amusing bc "madness and civilization" (more properly "the history of madness") was first published in 1961 and was completed in draft form in 1958. lol

i skipped around a bit to check out some of the other questions and it's all really the same old superficial bullshit. what is religion? "religious is what you act out. everything you act out is predicated on your implicit axioms. the system of axioms you hold as primary is your religious belief system." haha ok. 

on the question of institutional racism he claims that systemic bias is real but only part of a complex society. "no system is perfect." lol. he then argues (he truly cannot help himself) that the error of "the radical leftists" is that they obliterate all the complexity and just focus on institutional bias. he does this constantly, he makes an extremely obvious observation (society is complex) and then just "debunks" whatever strawman he pulls out of his ass that he projects on to the "radical left" (in this case, i guess the leftists are arguing that society isn't complex, or, to put it another way, they aren't "intersectional?") 

he insists that the greatest threat to free speech is "the radical left" but he does so, once again, without any kind of thorough demonstration of this "fact." it's 100% just personal anecdotes and a handful of examples. any examples of other threats to free speech are dismissed or at best briefly acknowledged before being swiftly passed over. having had to work for a living since i was a teenager i find it amusing that this guy is just now figuring out some employment 101 shit. wait until he finds out that some employers even mandate who you can sleep with when you're not on the clock. and yes, employers are all radical leftists.

this guy is too fucking boring

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cant read, drugged, mentally ill, etc etc

c'mon, be creative at the very least, you lazy slags

there is a phrase that captures all these perfectly: liverpool fan

I kid I kid

I ran into Jordan Peterson the other night in Boston. At first, he pretended to be someone else until I recited one of his 70+ minute lectures to him, word for word. He stood there stunned the whole time, barely blinking. I could see tears forming in his eyes, so I stopped as to not embarrass him in public. He reached into his backpack and gave me a bronzed human skull. A sober look befell his face and his screams caused birds to fall dead from the sky. 

However, if he is able to attract incels and defuses them from committing acts of terror then maybe he is doing some good...

That's been my stance this whole time.

I am also in it for the memes:

I ran into Jordan Peterson the other night in Boston. At first, he pretended to be someone else until I recited one of his 70+ minute lectures to him, word for word. He stood there stunned the whole time, barely blinking. I could see tears forming in his eyes, so I stopped as to not embarrass him in public. He reached into his backpack and gave me a bronzed human skull. A sober look befell his face and his screams caused birds to fall dead from the sky. 

A+

if you're genuinely curious about Peterson's actual views on environmentalism, in his deconstruction of the Adam & Eve story in Genesis he explicitly makes a case for taking care of the environment when he unfolds the symbolism behind the walled garden of paradise.  Your claim that he hasn't addressed this at all is actually inaccurate.

in a video zaphod posted a while back one can find peterson's response to the issue of climate change:

"what should i say about climate change? did you drive here?"

interviewer: no i didn't

"how'd you get here?"

i took public transport

"ok well, you know..."

that's hardly the point

"well no it is the point. it is the point bc part of the problem of climate change is irreducible complexity. it's like, ya know, we..we..there's a cost to our existence and the cost is externalization, externalization of cost, and we don't know how to manage that. and i would say should we be concerned about that? it's like yeah, absolutely. do we know how to be concerned about it? not really."

so then how do we learn?

[...] "i think your bedroom is important. your bedroom is a microcosm of the planet."

[he gives an example of a guy he knows who developed a way to potentially reduce ocean plastic]

"i don't know if his room was clean or not but there was something about him that was dead on bc when he looked at a problem he thought 'i'm not going to go out there and tell a bunch of other people what they're doing wrong so that they can solve it, i'm gonna bloody well fix it.' and that's what i'm telling young men in particular to do. although if women want to do that it's like great more power to them. but, ya know people say 'well i'm taking climate change seriously. i'm going out to protests.' it's like, you're not taking it seriously, that's not serious. serious is: you're gonna devote 80 hours of your life to it for the rest of your life. you're gonna focus on it so intently that's you're not even gonna think about anything else. like, that's serious."

just in case some one wanted an example of non-biblical argumentation about climate change from peterson.

essentially this. but i don't think it is accurate. the example bit,

missing in that quote, is what is relevant here in relation to the

recent discussion.

regarding the example given by jp in that interview about that

entrepreneur dude and the ocean (basically a guy who apparently is

starting a business around cleaning the ocean or something), it's

probably the thing cwmbrancity was talking about. this example imo

shows his "classical liberal" individualistic and market centric

stance, which probably is one of the things that make him palatable to

many people. my guess is that jp didn't really had an articulate

answer to that question during the interview. imo his response is

absolutely irrelevant in relation to environmental problems, and

probably tells a lot about his personal views on the (non) issue. that

is important to know what jp thinks about the environment is a

completely different thing (hint: i don't give a shit, mainly because

i never expected he had anything to say about that).

personally, i don't think the issue here is that jp is trying to "tell

people to stop complaining and do something about problems in

general"---be it personal or societal. the issue is in the

"how". repeatedly, there's an anti-collective, anti-protest view,

which imo doesn't justifies itself apart from this fed up attitude

which he exudes every time he speaks (for example in the interview

when he says sarcastically: "... although if women want to do that,

it's like, great! more power to them..." ). my guess is that this

attitude is mainly a political one, and i find it baffling that people

are still refuting the fact that his thinking is mainly right-wing

conservative.

i don't think the lengthly critical articles about jp ideas are going

to change his fans minds in any way though. it is not a problem in the

plane of rational argumentation. his ideology, in the same way as the

"straw left" he built to denounce and critique, predates on

victimization, on fear and insecurities---which are abundant

nowadays. it presents an explanation, a solution and the

culprits. it's a little shine of light (hint: sarcasm) in a

disenchanted west.

and to the ones in here that talk about "witchhunt" and stuff: the

public sphere is meant to be a place of all kind of critical

interchanges. if you are offended by me or others dismissing jp's

ideas: grow up bucko.

and so it begins, Mr Lobster Theremin t-shirt & THE Span crawl out of the bowels of Peterson's anal cyst, break through the calcified crust & yell "f e m a l e s? Hipster House?"

nuffink but love for my herpetic homies

Richard pls

Also reposting this from the dank meme thread.

tumblr_p7tsdazisb1s9rx9zo1_1280.jpg

so here he answers some really cutting questions which I think correlate with alot of the criticism I have read on him both in this thread and outside, a very big contrast to the "circle-jerks" that some of his talks can come across as imo

edit: at 1:15:53 he addresses the claim to "ethnic pride" which is something I hadn't heard from him before, I'll edit in the questions here when they are compiled eventually

2:02:42 your critique of postmodernism is unfair (this might b interesting for alco)

just took a look at this, thanks for pointing me to the foucault bit. i'm sorry but this guy just really does not know wtf he's talking about. his one sentence summary of "madness and civilization" is just a simplistic "psychiatric categories are in part social constructs." cool story. the best bit though is how he then remarks of this "self evident" thesis "it's like great, we've known that since like 1960. it's just not that big a revelation." of course, this is amusing bc "madness and civilization" (more properly "the history of madness") was first published in 1961 and was completed in draft form in 1958. lol

this guy is too fucking boring

notice he stays clear of Deleuze and Guattari's "Capitalism & Schizophrenia" like a squirrel hiding from a cat too, a seminal text in most undergrad biblios & postgrad research & more pertinent today than ever

cant read, drugged, mentally ill, etc etc

c'mon, be creative at the very least, you lazy slags

there is a phrase that captures all these perfectly: liverpool fan

I kid I kid

round of applause please,

this has chutzpah, parochialism & identity politics all pulled together in one

fa0eb712d7d0af8b6429a5094f9a3ed3.jpg

and so it begins, Mr Lobster Theremin t-shirt & THE Span crawl out of the bowels of Peterson's anal cyst, break through the calcified crust & yell "f e m a l e s? Hipster House?"

nuffink but love for my herpetic homies

Richard pls

Also reposting this from the dank meme thread.

tumblr_p7tsdazisb1s9rx9zo1_1280.jpg

this is just as wrong as claiming that all of women's inequalities in society are due to men and toxic masculinity. now obviously this is not the claim all feminists/leftists/whatever make but is certainly how discussions come across as on the internet.

jp is neither a prophet nor an unreasonable charlatan con-artist.. I think is what I have been trying to stand by during this whole thread

as for people looking for more examples of what overprotection in society can lead to this happened in our largest university not long ago:

(edit: subtitles available)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv_Pyo0SnVY

edit2: film your marxist professor has a collection of these too

it is my religious belief system that the danker one is better

Yeah but you're a post-dankism cultural memeist.

Also, need you take it further, I do.

Is he a nutjob or not? 

Can't be bothered to try and go through each post in this thread and reason one against the other to formulate an opinion. 

it is my religious belief system that the danker one is better

Yeah but you're a post-dankism cultural memeist.

Also, need you take it further, I do.

i just remembered you can edit my posts and ban me and now i’m jordan peterson.

I place him with Ben Shapiro. Someone who can seem reasonable if you watch just the right videos, but falls apart pretty fast. 

Archived