IGNORED

jordan peterson

zaphod

I watched his 2015 lectures on youtube a few years before all of this political diarrhea, and there wasn't a single controversial sentence uttered.

just a survey of some great thinkers (Nietzsche, Piaget, Jung, Dostoevsky) made relevant with a modern lens psychology and social science, and the good kind of science that is actually backed up by empirical data

I found it pretty interesting, and his ideas really cover all kinds of ground.  I tuned out of the gender bullshit.  What is with all of the reactionary commentary surrounding this psychology professor at UofT?

why's it another line in the sand, throwing "alt-right" (this dude is not) around and moving on?  The ideas this professor talks about aren't even his own, they were baked up in early 1900s by geniuses.  Sooo why aren't we talking about that stuff?

weird ass identity politics and online discourse these days

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just heard about this guy through this thread and I'm not getting an alt-right vibe from him. I find myself not really objecting to anything he's saying, like in that Channel 4 interview. He was surprisingly patient with the interviewer who was constantly putting words in his mouth and contradicting what he was saying. But I always keep these "public intellectual" people at a safe distance because I do think they could be used to sneak some nastier ideas into public discourse, no matter how benign they may seem at first glance. That could just be a bit of healthy paranoia for the kind of snakes that might start appearing in a post-Trump world, picking up where he left off but not coming across like complete moron - something more polished. Jordan Peterson doesn't seem like that yet, but maybe if someone paid him enough, he could be. Which is a dangerous scenario. 

I always hated Sam Harris though.

People who don’t have intellectually empty arguments?

In what field? I’m not up on modern philosophers, but Kant, Hegel, Kierkegaard, Foucault, Popper, Russell, Mill, Locke, Hume all had really interesting and non-vacuous things to say.

fixed

I just heard about this guy through this thread and I'm not getting an alt-right vibe from him. I find myself not really objecting to anything he's saying, like in that Channel 4 interview. He was surprisingly patient with the interviewer who was constantly putting words in his mouth and contradicting what he was saying.

The issue is lately some very vocal people conflate intellectualism with a specific subset of extremist left wing ideological stances which they happen to really be sensitive regarding when it comes to any criticism, no matter how valid.  That's why he's labelled to begin with, and alt-right is a really convenient label since he gives credence to a lot of what can be mis-labelled as being weaker versions of the alt-right's extremist and bigoted stances.

Well I really don't know what to think about all of this guys. Sometimes it seems that people just don't want anyone to be vocal and coming forward about anything these days. Yes, let's just rot in our mediocrity as the establishment dictates your terms of life. Sounds like a great idea. Just start that lawnmower and cut that head sticking out of the average. Be a good, obedient citizen and help your local civil protection.

Well I really don't know what to think about all of this guys. Sometimes it seems that people just don't want anyone to be vocal and coming forward about anything these days. Yes, let's just rot in our mediocrity as the establishment dictates your terms of life. Sounds like a great idea. Just start that lawnmower and cut that head sticking out of the average. Be a good, obedient citizen and help your local civil protection.

Agreed one hundred percent, often some people have this aversion to the discussion of serious topics.  Maybe these people are legitimately too smart for the discussions, as they're trying to project, but I suspect they just want to limit speech they disagree with

You're right. people shouldn't treat joe rogan's podcast this way. 

but what you're saying is a good point.  the internet, blogosphere and the 24 hour news cycle in the america has a tendency to eat itself and consume anything that varies from the norm of the day... then when something weird does get embraced and becomes mainstream it's a different kind of shitshow of normies falling all over themselves to champion it. then the gatekeepers and then the... 

i think in art and movies and tv and story telling there is room for weirdness and contrarian viewpoints but when jumping into the mix in a jordan peterson kind of way it's just gonna be a shouted down because omg (clutches pearls) so offensive.. and i'm not just talking about jordan peterson but the idea of challenging prevailing winds of change whatever they might be is going to be in some way a tilting at windmills type of scenario... until it's delivered in a digestible form for the masses... 

and i don't really think i'm expressing the thought well enough. i'm tired and i'm sure my blood pressure is low and i'm at work.. and it's the best i can do right now. 

if i could care less i would because i'd rather think about renoise. 

It's guys like candiru who change lives. Candiru is probably someone a lot of people could use in their lives.

Candiru

I will show U tha world

whats the point of speaking out if it gets you an angry mob at your doorstep. Try speaking out against islam, it will get you banned.

Not just Joe Rogan, nor Jordan Peterson for that case. In history there have been so many people that got shut down in dubious ways (character assassination, rape accusations, finally a shot in the head) after they hit the wave of zeitgeist and got the overwhelming attention of masses. This is where I believe certain things get too well organized and consistently executed to be only some basement trolls and miserable neckbeards spilling out their ignorant hate.

On this note, even this gender campaign is, as Jordan himself noted, suspiciously well organized and influential judging by their absolute ridiculous 'intellectual' stance. It's throwing sand in our eyes people, mark my words. There are bigger things behind the curtain.

whats the point of speaking out if it gets you an angry mob at your doorstep. Try speaking out against islam, it will get you banned.

Anger is something that should speak to you in a different way than shying away from doing what you believe is right and constructive.

yes, things that deviate from the norm of the narrative of the dominant power are going to get pushed to the fringes if not outright put to death.. see christian mysticism for many examples.. or any religious research that isn't supporting the catholic church...  just reading about "evolution" of economics and how the current system of the world (capitalism) even became a thing is pretty fucking mind blowing. primitive accumulation and the war on women.. it's just fucking savage how people were manipulated through power structures making laws to change behavior and norms and squash popular rebellion and shift from age old communal care of farm land to serfdom and indentured servitude etc.. it's some eye opening ideas and history that people take for granted. 

https://www.amazon.com/Caliban-Witch-Women-Primitive-Accumulation/dp/1570270597

that's just the way the power structures works. 

so perhaps examining the power structure is the way to go... 

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Jordan Peterson. The insight is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of the degeneration of western civilization most of the jokes will go over a typical recipients head. There's also Jordan's chauvinistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterization - his personal PhIloSoPhY draws exclusively from psychology literature, Carl Jung for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these ramblings, to realize that they're not just funny- they say something deep about CULTURAL MARXISM. As a consequence, people who dislike Jordan Peterson truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the self-help in Jordan's existential catchphrase "Clean Your Room!" which itself is a cryptic reference to Molyneux's epic Fathers and Sons. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those post-modern simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Peterson's genius unfolds itself on their computer screens. What fools... how I pity them. And yes by the way, I DO have a Carl Jung tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only - And even they have to demonstrate that they're willing to have 5 children of my own and no professional ambition beforehand.

Archived