Writing melancholic and sad melodies,a trick

fxbip

Simple trick for sad moods.

Don't use the 7th note in the minor scale.

If in A minor,don't use the G note when writing a melody.

A,B,C,D,E,F and no G.

Using this 6 note scale

Everything is instantly more melancholic.

Edited by fxbip

Pitch up those vocals and make them stutter for real fake feels, like EDM superstars OPN and Coldplay.

Pitch up those vocals and make them stutter for real fake feels, like EDM superstars OPN and Coldplay.

reported for OPN slander. Lopatin will be protected at all costs

gocab, am wift ya

hey thx for the tip !

At least one person really tried it.

My pleasure man.

Cool theory behind that is the 7th of a minor scale is the dominant (5th) of that scale's relative major (the 3rd), which will briefly tether your ear to a major tonality, essentially tonicizing the 3rd. But without that dominant, the feeling of major tonality has no grounding and can't materialize.

So yeah, it's actually true in a theory sense.

Edited by sheathe

• 2 weeks later...

hey thx for the tip !

My pleasure man.

Cool theory behind that is the 7th of a minor scale is the dominant (5th) of that scale's relative major (the 3rd), which will briefly tether your ear to a major tonality, essentially tonicizing the 3rd. But without that dominant, the feeling of major tonality has no grounding and can't materialize.

Exactly!

When writing in natural minor if you use the 7th note you add a major feel most of the time to melodies.

If you avoid it the minor feel gets more accentuated and also will sound less dark than harmonic minor that has the sharp 7th.

Thus making a real melancholic minor scale without as much major feel from the relative major or dark feel from the harmonic minor scales!

Edited by fxbip

hey thx for the tip !

My pleasure man.

Exactly!

When writing in natural minor if you use the 7th note you add a major feel most of the time to melodies.

If you avoid it the minor feel gets more accentuated and also will sound less dark than harmonic minor that has the sharp 7th.

Thus making a real melancholic minor scale without as much major feel from the relative major or dark feel from the harmonic minor scales!

Great tips guys!

Skickat från min SM-G930F via Tapatalk