IGNORED

Lorenzo Senni & Francesco Fantini - The Challenge

Warp's Lorenzo Senni announces the sure to be a collector's item vinyl release of his collaboration with Francesco Fantini for the original soundtrack for the short film, The Challenge.

The Challenge contains a high octane mix of Lorenzo's trademark trance riffs, yet instead of drawing out the shape of trance to come with his trusty JP-8000 Supersaw patterns, The Challenge see's Lorenzo and Francesco recording with a full orchestra for the very first time.

As uplifting and joyous as Persona, yet carrying with it an underlying feeling of melancholic depth that its clear has been reached by the film of which it soundtracks subject matter.

‘The Challenge’ is an anthropological documentary observing the curious hobbies of the rich in the desert. Ranging from bidding for birds to Sunday-driving with exotic cats in SUVs around the desert, it’s a playful remark on a rarely seen subject. Lorenzo Senni and Yuri Ancarani will be in conversation on the film, soundtrack and creating together at Rough Trade Brooklyn on the March 2nd, and Rough Trade East, London later in March, look out for date confirmation.

short lil EP. Apparently Senni's same old thing but with a full orchestra? Might be good, though it's barely 10 minutes long apparently

pics in link, cant be bothered embedding: https://bleep.com/release/94955-lorenzo-senni-francesco-fantini-the-challenge

‘The Challenge’ is an anthropological documentary observing the curious hobbies of the rich in the desert. Ranging from bidding for birds to Sunday-driving with exotic cats in SUVs around the desert, it’s a playful remark on a rarely seen subject. 

It's just looks like a watered down NPR weekend edition version of a M.I.A. music video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq56iFUTV4s

‘The Challenge’ is an anthropological documentary observing the curious hobbies of the rich in the desert. Ranging from bidding for birds to Sunday-driving with exotic cats in SUVs around the desert, it’s a playful remark on a rarely seen subject.

It's just looks like a watered down NPR weekend edition version of a M.I.A. music video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uYs0gJD-LE

Minus MIA shitty music. Can't wait to grab the digital.

what is it with electronic musicians doing orchestral music suddenly the press describes it as if anyone could do it , also how can you switch from a jp8000 synth to classical music, these things just dont fit.

Minus MIA shitty music. Can't wait to grab the digital.

Yeah I usually don't fall into the default snark mode but something about this write up prompted it.

I get why people get Lorenzo Senni but it just hasn't really struck a chord with me yet. 

The packaging for this thing is so gorgeous that I'm tempted to force myself to like the music, JUST so I can grab that vinyl

My thoughts as well until I saw the 37€ price on Bleep. I mean it's lovely and all but that's a no-no for a movie I won't see and an artist I'm not that found of :/

The idea sounds good, so will get it. If it's meh, will list it on discogs + keep flac. Will definitely sell if it's just a five minute record (but I doubt it would be).

Changed my mind. I thought the description said it would be Senni's usual sound with an orchestra...but it sounds like it's just orchestra. That can be great too, but I'll skip. Flacs will do.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got the Flac today. It's okay. The vinyl / box set thing is overkill. Collectors only.

are you such a big lorenzo fan or is the music that good ? i mean that vinyl box set isnt really cheap i suppose.

Well gave it a listen yesterday. It's cool to hear Lorenzo doing something other than the usual abstract trance style. The composition itself is nice althought a bit uneven imo.

But I really don't know why Warp is giving him such a special treatment. They have extremely high hopes upon him, and/or they want to develop a kind of contemporary music section I don't know :shrug:

Archived