IGNORED

Elon Musk's Starman - Is this shit real wtf

YO303

"Infosec.exchange crossed 40000 accounts a few minutes ago. 7 weeks ago, we had ~180 active accounts."

^Admin of "my" Mastodon Instance today. ?

Also:

https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-business-playbook-boss-visionary-jerk-spacex-tesla-twitter-2022-12?r=US&IR=T

Sure as hell not looking back...

• Farnsworth 1

https://hard-drive.net/confused-elon-musk-accidentally-kills-female-employee-and-impregnates-monkey/

“Guys, this one’s on me,” an embarrassed Musk explained. “I read my daily planner wrong and got all switched around, could happen to anyone. I knew something was off when I was mailing hush money to the zoo and watching a scientist drill into a woman’s brain, but it finally hit me later on. I won’t lie to you, this is a whoopsie on Elon. On the bright side, the monkey can’t tell anybody and most of my employees are scheduled to die anyway.”

In that twitter poll he didnt say 'when' he would step down and he'll probably delay it on the basis that 'he cant find anyone else who can do it'

Edited by zazen

4 hours ago, jaderpansen said:

This Insider article isn't very good, although their strapline seemed like it was going to be interesting - "At Tesla and SpaceX, Elon Musk was a jerk with a grand vision. At Twitter, he's just a jerk."

Here's the Musk playbook: Enter a field with very little competition. Claim that your new company will solve a massive, global problem or achieve a seemingly impossible goal. Raise money from a fervent group of true believers and keep them on the hook with flashy, half-baked product ideas. Suck up billions from the government. Underpay, undervalue, and overwork your employees. Repeat.

The bit about overworking employees is accurate, but the rest of that paragraph is baloney

Having followed Musk for a while, its interesting actually to see the talking points the right used to attack him with back in 2015 (luxury cars dont make a difference/ he just sucks up subsidies/building rockets is easy) now being repeated from the left.

Think about it a bit and the idea that a luxury sports car can save us from global warming or that the answer for the Earth's toxification is to move everyone to Mars falls apart, but that isn't the point. The goal of all this mythmaking is to turn investors, employees, and customers into evangelists. 

So here's my points:

• building a car company is hard. its not a field 'with very little competition'. Most car companies go bankrupt and the big ones have to be saved by the government
  • Tesla started with low volume, expensive cars and is working their way down to cheaper cars as they scale up. Its the only way to do it really
  • Tesla has absolutely transformed the car industry. There were EVs before, like the Nissan Leaf, but automakers only made them with about 100 mile range on the basis that 'market research said thats what people wanted'. Making Evs with 200 or 300 mile range needed a lot of R+D and economies of scale - because batteries are heavy and expensive so efficiency of the drivechain becomes vital. Tesla found a way to make people want EVs with 200/300 mile range and found a way to build them at just about the right price. It was an absolute massive kick up the arse for the rest of the industry but they're only just catching up.

Dont even get me started on SpaceX and how fucking difficult it is to make a twelve storey high explosive tube fly to space and fly back down and land itself.

You just can't reduce this to 'Musk is a dick and Tesla and SpaceX were scams'

Tesla and SpaceX are both wildly successful. But Musk is a dick. The much more interesting question is what were the conditions that made Twitter a disaster and Tesla and SpaceX a success? It is because its hardware/engineering rather than social media? Is it having the right people around musk to offset the dickishness? It is just that hes gone nuts this year? Thats the analysis I want to see.