IGNORED

Elon Musk's Starman - Is this shit real wtf

YO303

That price point is assuming that when this goes into production, Tesla will have its next-gen batteries which will supposedly be lower cost.  It's likely that the production will be delayed and the price increased, based on Tesla's history.  However, the specs at that price point are a great value.

Regarding the appearance, it will look slightly different when they add side mirrors and a few other things to it.  I think most people probably think it's ugly, but that won't stop people from buying it.  I was amazed that anybody bought the mid-1990s RAM pickups or the Pontiac Trans Sport or those ugly expensive boxy Mercedes SUVs.  There will be plenty of rich people who will drive one just to say, "look at how rich I am, I can drive around in a car that's expensive AND butt-ass ugly."

Edited by randomsummer

The price point is lower than a decent Chevy. A Silverado with a V8 and 4wd is around 52k USD. Not sure I’d call the Tesla truck a rich people vehicle. Assuming it comes in at the price point they’re claiming.

edit: unless you consider all trucks rich people vehicles. ?

Edited by StephenG

1 hour ago, StephenG said:

The price point is lower than a decent Chevy. A Silverado with a V8 and 4wd is around 52k USD. Not sure I’d call the Tesla truck a rich people vehicle. Assuming it comes in at the price point they’re claiming.

edit: unless you consider all trucks rich people vehicles. ?

Yeah I consider those big, expensive trucks rich people vehicles.  ?  Given the performance specs of the cybertruck, it can probably cross categories between rich truck people and rich sports car people.

I think there will always be a subset of people who will just want to drive it because of how unique and different it is, and those people tend to have the disposable income to spend on a truck like this.  That's really what I was trying to say with my post, I guess.

These big trucks (and SUVs) are the legacy automakers' bread and butter.  They had better be afraid of the cybertruck; I think I saw that a few of them were announcing their own EV trucks but they aren't nearly as ahead of the EV game and as agile as Tesla so I'm afraid some blunders will inevitably occur.

What you’re saying totally makes sense. I can see people buying for what it is vs it’s functional abilities. Kind of like some richies buying Porsche SUVs just for grocery runs and to/from work. 

Where I live a huge % of the population buys big trucks with no real reason heh. I’m curious to see what will happen with this Cybertruck tbh, want to see some consumer reports etc when it rolls out.

On 11/24/2019 at 8:19 PM, ghsotword said:

I like the look of Cybertruck. It is like the 80s vision of what cars would look like in 2019. It also looks unfinished because it is so low poly but that is not a bad thing either. Modern conventional curvy cars are so boring because they all look the same. I hope Cybertruck starts a new trend of more angular looking cars.

Yeah props to whoever designed this and the fact that they went along with it is commendable, and I'm really forcing myself to type that because Tesla and Elon zealots irritate the hell out of me. Has heavy Italdesign and Bertone vibes from the 80s

1980-bertone-lamoborghini-athon-1-980x57

1984-ford-maya-concept.jpg

french_sedan.jpg

1980-ford-bronco-montana-lobo-concept.jp

they def just mined past sci-fi vehicle designs

bladerunner_0_38_47_ennis_house_full.jpg

total-recall-car.jpg?w=980&q=75

audrey200548-img1200x900-1520095064ox7sp

with a dash of 90s quasi-rugged plastic nonsense...

I'm a sucker for 70s / 80s era retrofuturism and the idea of off-road, potentially off the grid 4x4 vehicles (via solar panel charge stations) excites my imagination in terms of futurism beyond high-density areas. Back to reality though we need fucking public transportation badly in most urban areas of the US. 

Presentation of it was straight up Car for Homer though

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, joshuatxuk said:

Yeah props to whoever designed this and the fact that they went along with it is commendable, and I'm really forcing myself to type that because Tesla and Elon zealots irritate the hell out of me. Has heavy Italdesign and Bertone vibes from the 80s

I'm a sucker for 70s / 80s era retrofuturism and the idea of off-road, potentially off the grid 4x4 vehicles (via solar panel charge stations) excites my imagination in terms of futurism beyond high-density areas. Back to reality though we need fucking public transportation badly in most urban areas of the US. 

Presentation of it was straight up Car for Homer though

agreed, from an aesthetic standpoint i love that they took a risk.  but i also sort of despise what it represents about car culture, moving the truck a bit further away from its work-tool origins and more into the egocentric world of "personal fortress car" as a lifestyle image, and one would annhilate any cyclist or pedestrian unfortunate to get in its owners way.  but my problem there is really just with american car culture, specifically reckless drivers who speed.  Or who dont need, but buy bigass trucks

Edited by markedone

I'm into it and would buy one, unfortunately it almost definitely won't fit in my parking space, probably won't be sold in the UK cos there's no market for pickup trucks, and I don't have a spare £30k+

Done with fossil fuel cars for sure though, recently sold my aging audi a3 and just using zipcar flex vw e-golfs if I can't be arsed to cycle somewhere

9 minutes ago, Amen Warrior said:

I'm into it and would buy one, unfortunately it almost definitely won't fit in my parking space, probably won't be sold in the UK cos there's no market for pickup trucks, and I don't have a spare £30k+

Done with fossil fuel cars for sure though, recently sold my aging audi a3 and just using zipcar flex vw e-golfs if I can't be arsed to cycle somewhere

Check out the VW ID.3, the specs look pretty nice.  I actually wish they were coming to the states.

2 hours ago, joshuatxuk said:

they def just mined past sci-fi vehicle designs

bladerunner_0_38_47_ennis_house_full.jpg

Elon specifically mentioned Blade Runner as an influence, and as you probably know Blade Runner is set in Los Angeles, November 2019, which is where they did the Cybertruck unveil.

754301579_bladerunner.jpg.6a617f2ddaba90a9c9d876186e39d02c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

competent lawyers. he was never going to be found guilty, insults are protected speech. Unsworth might have had more luck if he tried to sue him in the UK, a lot easier to get a libel conviction there, no pesky constitution to get in the way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/26/2019 at 8:37 AM, randomsummer said:

ugly expensive boxy Mercedes SUVs.

I love those. I drove a few of them when I was a valet and they are the bomb. Plus they can actually go off road, not like 95% of SUVs out there. If I was rich I’d buy one of those. Functional and luxurious, sign me the fuck up. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

I love those. I drove a few of them when I was a valet and they are the bomb. Plus they can actually go off road, not like 95% of SUVs out there. If I was rich I’d buy one of those. Functional and luxurious, sign me the fuck up. 

You would actually aspire towards such luxury consumption products and support such an exploitation and waste of labor when that money could have gone towards something useful?

7 hours ago, caze said:

competent lawyers. he was never going to be found guilty, insults are protected speech. Unsworth might have had more luck if he tried to sue him in the UK, a lot easier to get a libel conviction there, no pesky constitution to get in the way.

you're right. thanks for reminding me how the world works

9 hours ago, Zeffolia said:

You would actually aspire towards such luxury consumption products and support such an exploitation and waste of labor when that money could have gone towards something useful?

You think Mercedes engineers aren’t paid well? 
Those cost around 200,000. What usefulness does that money have, assuming I pay a fair share of taxes and live in a country that tries to look after its citizens?

Living in the city though I’d actually almost rather get the Audi RS6 Avant. A wagon that does 0-60 in 3.7 seconds? Phenomenal. 

12 hours ago, chenGOD said:

I agree that they're very competent and quality vehicles, but around here I see them only being driven around Princeton by wealthy housewives, which is what I can see happening a fair bit with the cybertruck.

Edited by randomsummer

43 minutes ago, randomsummer said:

I agree that they're very competent and quality vehicles, but around here I see them only being driven around Princeton by wealthy housewives, which is what I can see happening a fair bit with the cybertruck.

Oh yeah for sure I agree with that. 
even regular trucks now. People are dropping 60k on a truck to ride it around the city. Madness. 

• Like 1