IGNORED

Elon Musk's Starman - Is this shit real wtf

YO303

3 hours ago, auxien said:
3 hours ago, brian trageskin said:

kindergarten-level noob question ahead:

i missed the commentary to the thing that landed on a ship in the ocean, was that the rocket's propellant? if so how did it get there, free fall then automatic landing or what? 

yeah that's the booster that holds the bulk of the propellant used to get to a certain point (just to the edge/out of atmosphere if i'm not mistaken). i think its landing is entirely/mostly autonomous, but could be wrong there.

And it's nothing short of amazing to look at, looks like a video rewinding...

Edited by Tim_J

gotta admit, I got a little choked up watching the rocket launch on saturday. I'm not even a huge space buff or anything, but I think what made it hit was watching it with my young son next to me. he was so excited doing the countdown and watching the launch, asking all about the astronauts...brought back wistful, nostalgic BoC memories of being a kid and thinking it was still possible to be an astronaut when you grow up...also scenes from Gattaca popped into mind while I was watching the rocket go up

• Like 2

On 5/30/2020 at 8:48 PM, brian trageskin said:

kindergarten-level noob question ahead:

i missed the commentary to the thing that landed on a ship in the ocean, was that the rocket's propellant? if so how did it get there, free fall then automatic landing or what? 

SpaceX did a blooper reel of all the failures they had to go through before they got it right. Its worth watching.

And these things are 12-stories high explosive metal tubes. The fact that SpaceX can reliably land them now is probably the most important advance in space travel for decades. They land on their own, autonomously, coping with weather, and using the minimal amount of propellant possible (because you want to use as much as you can on the up bit and save as little as possible for the getting back down bit).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, zazen said:

SpaceX did a blooper reel of all the failures they had to go through before they got it right. Its worth watching.

And these things are 12-stories high explosive metal tubes. The fact that SpaceX can reliably land them now is probably the most important advance in space travel for decades. They land on their own, autonomously, coping with weather, and using the minimal amount of propellant possible (because you want to use as much as you can on the up bit and save as little as possible for the getting back down bit).

What I’m looking forward to is drone ship landing/launching pads in the atmosphere. Much less propellant necessary to shoot one of these things to mars.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/20/2020 at 12:17 PM, zkom said:

:crazy:

IMG_20200620_221429.jpg

IMG_20200620_221438.jpg

that's how PTO works at corporate gigs. you get whatever amount of PTO they offer and that's all your sick days, vacation days and holidays and you pick, subject to scheduling depending on the job, which days you take off.  so if you get 2 weeks vacation that's 80 hours PTO +  whatever number of sick days etc etc.. but it also means that it's likely that on the holidays if you do work you get time and a half.. so you get paid more for working on holidays. .. all depending on the holiday of course. so, it sounds like they just designated it a holiday. corporate speak at its best. 

4 hours ago, ignatius said:

that's how PTO works at corporate gigs. you get whatever amount of PTO they offer and that's all your sick days, vacation days and holidays and you pick, subject to scheduling depending on the job, which days you take off.  so if you get 2 weeks vacation that's 80 hours PTO +  whatever number of sick days etc etc.. but it also means that it's likely that on the holidays if you do work you get time and a half.. so you get paid more for working on holidays. .. all depending on the holiday of course. so, it sounds like they just designated it a holiday. corporate speak at its best. 

Yeah, I know US holiday and vacation system is ass backwards compared to most of Europe. But it was still funny.

The Finnish system is so fucking complicated I'm not even gonna try to explain it in full, but in essence public holidays are paid unless they fall on the weekend. If you work on public holiday you usually get double pay and if you work on a public holiday that falls on Sunday you get triple pay. Vacation time is separate and paid and the public holidays don't count as vacation days, even if they fall on Saturday, but funnily Sunday doesn't count.. a weird remnant from the 6 day work week.

Then there are the rules governing the vacation time where it gets really complicated, but let's just say you usually get 4-5 weeks of paid vacation per year and a lot of times the vacation time salary is 50% extra..

• Like 1

On 7/8/2020 at 12:05 PM, zkom said:

The Finnish system is so fucking complicated I'm not even gonna try to explain it in full, but in essence public holidays are paid unless they fall on the weekend. If you work on public holiday you usually get double pay and if you work on a public holiday that falls on Sunday you get triple pay. Vacation time is separate and paid and the public holidays don't count as vacation days, even if they fall on Saturday, but funnily Sunday doesn't count.. a weird remnant from the 6 day work week.

Then there are the rules governing the vacation time where it gets really complicated, but let's just say you usually get 4-5 weeks of paid vacation per year and a lot of times the vacation time salary is 50% extra..

We call this “civilization”.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1