IGNORED

Elon Musk's Starman - Is this shit real wtf

YO303

3 minutes ago, user said:

Holy shit that went fast. I read some article about twitter's cashlords wanting to have a chat with elon about maybe buying the website while stuffing my face before going to a show, back 5 hours later and the deal is done. 

I'm not sure how correct this info is as I might be missing context or whatever but the article I just read says that he wants to offer an inclusive platform for free speech within the confinements of the law. (two seperate quotes but same wording and meaning, I think). And this makes me kind of hopeful that maybe he will run twitter into the ground? I mean, apparently he's not aware that twitter is an international platform so what is considered free speech within confinements of the law is going to be different for each user and he probably already alienated some of the (usually misguided right-wing (in my experience anyway)) hardcore freedom of speech absolutists who tend to get very upset when words such as "inclusive" are used because that means they might have to deal with people that get angry at them for (re)tweeting stupid shit. So in my mind he's gonna have 2 fairly large pickles to deal with from the get-go and hopefully this will take long enough for the majority of the userbase to become alienated without any good alternatives being available. Elon will lose interest and Twitter will wither and die. Meanwhile the Zuck is fucking himself with meta. Would be such a blessing if these ridiculous out of touch cunts that are fucking the world over by buying into something that has nothing to do with actual day to day reality and human interaction but do carry a disproportional potential weight making things more horrible on an hourly basis for everyone everywhere en up falling victim to their monomanic megalomania. I feel more and more hopeless about everything on a daily basis but this might be a blessing in disguise. Please Elon, don't fuck this up.

How is it not already? The fact that this naive cunt bought it might actually open people's eyes.

ive spent more time thinking about whether to buy a synth than this guy did on whether to buy a social media platform.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, user said:

Holy shit that went fast. I read some article about twitter's cashlords wanting to have a chat with elon about maybe buying the website while stuffing my face before going to a show, back 5 hours later and the deal is done. 

you can't be caught lacking these days. 

5 minutes ago, J3FF3R00 said:

and unban the Donald

read a blurb today where trump is quoted as saying even if musk invited him to twitter he wouldn't go back because he's sticking w/truth social.. his dumb platform that will flounder and fail like everything else he touches. 

it's all a shit show anyways. bummer though. twitter is a good for following some software/art/music people. it's easy to keep all the political stuff away form the feed. only ads get in the way. 

blah. 

Deleted my last remaining Twitter account. But it's not much of a consequence because I was using it mostly just to follow various news outlets, artists and gimmick accounts. I wasn't really posting anything or "networking".

Anyway, fuck Musk.

• Like 1
  • Big Brain 1

If they spam the platform with FB level ads now, it could really poison a well that a lot of online musicians and artists rely on. Hopefully he’ll nuke the NFT shit they tried to incorporate. Will Grimes be an admin? ? 

spacer.pngspacer.png

Neva 4getty

Edited by Silent Member
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Twitter has about 220 million active users so 44 billion dollars means about 200 USD per user which sounds like a pretty high price for the user base to me. But what do I know?

Remember the time when Yahoo bought Tumblr for 1.1B and later sold it to WordPress for 3M? Good times..

• Thanks 1
  • Farnsworth 1
  • Big Brain 1

I'm pretty sure a huge percentage of those active users are bots, so it's even more (per user).

Edited by Silent Member
  • Like 1

Any time I google why Twitter is worth 44 billion dollars I come up empty handed.  Isn't that more money than the next richest guy's net worth?  10 billion would seem excessive.  How was this value determined, and how is this a good investment?  

Twitter seems to get its money mostly from advertising revenue from companies, selling user-data-analytics to companies, and selling tweet-promotions to invested users.

Conjecture:
Besides its financial revenue, twitter's worth for its owners may also lie in the potential power it can hold over its many twitter-readers and to an extent society as a whole. In theory, by changing the feed-algorithms and bot-allowances the owners have the potential to quite effectively influence targeted groups of people or even parts of society. Or maybe they could really want to make a public platform for discussing and giving opinions, making the world a better place... doubtful though.

More conjecture:
This could be the long-term goal of Elon Musk. I personally feel that his public reason for buying twitter to make it more free speech is merely a useful populist facade obscuring his true inner motives which may be somewhat about money but more likely and more importantly about influence / power over the digital world and maybe more worryingly over society. I'm not saying it is for sure, but that's just my pessimistic (but maybe less naive) reasoning for what Elon Musk's reason might be for buying twitter.

Edited by MaartenVC
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, MaartenVC said:

Twitter seems to get its money mostly from advertising revenue from companies, selling user-data-analytics to companies, and selling tweet-promotions to invested users.

Conjecture:
Besides its financial revenue, twitter's worth for its owners may also lie in the potential power it can hold over its many twitter-readers and to an extent society as a whole. In theory, by changing the feed-algorithms and bot-allowances the owners have the potential to quite effectively influence targeted groups of people or even parts of society. Or maybe they could really want to make a public platform for discussing and giving opinions, making the world a better place... doubtful though.

More conjecture:
This could be the long-term goal of Elon Musk. I personally feel that his public reason for buying twitter to make it more free speech is merely a useful populist facade obscuring his true inner motives which may be somewhat about money but more likely and more importantly about influence / power over the digital world and maybe more worryingly over society. I'm not saying it is for sure, but that's just my pessimistic (but maybe less naive) reasoning for what Elon Musk's reason might be for buying twitter.

It’s clear that, if he feels secure dumping a healthy significant amount of his Tesla shares (the company his identity is synonymous with that is poised to potentially dominate the future of the EV market) to parlay into funding  for buying twitter, he must see some considerable value advantage in owning twitter. 

32 minutes ago, J3FF3R00 said:

It’s clear that, if he feels secure dumping a healthy significant amount of his Tesla shares (the company his identity is synonymous with that is poised to potentially dominate the future of the EV market) to parlay into funding  for buying twitter, he must see some considerable value advantage in owning twitter. 

could just be an out of control ego + unbelievable wealth

• Thanks 1
  • Farnsworth 1

13 hours ago, MaartenVC said:

Conjecture:

well yeah thats pretty obvious, from the point of view that most of the mega-rich own a newspaper or a TV channel or something. Thats no accident, they get a lot of influence from that. Musk being a bit more modern has chosen to buy Twitter while Bezos is a bit more trad so bought the Washington Post. The Koch brothers own Time magazine, Rupert Murdoch owns a whole load of TV and newspapers etc etc

BUT Musk has stated his reasons and if you look back at other things he's been concerned with in the past (like OpenAI) it makes sense - he's basically saying that if we're going to have massive algorithms deciding what tweets to put into people's feeds, that should be a transparent process rather than the murky shit we have going on right now with facebook and twitter etc.

Any time I google why Twitter is worth 44 billion dollars I come up empty handed

Its based on the share price when he made the offer plus 30-40% or so. So the question for shareholders is 'sell now or do you think you'll get a better price in future'. Evidently they think its a good price.

Lots of people are rightly suspicous and maybe he's full of shit or whatever but I've been watching him for a while and I think he's sincere in his main aims (e.g. see this)

But I do wonder if this whole 'buy twitter' thing is a displacement activity, like maybe there was some stressful problem at SpaceX this month (get those raptor engines mass produced!) or Tesla (get that european gigafactory properly active) and he ended up buying twitter as a kindof stress reaction, in the same way that I'll argue with people in the Aphex forum when really I should have been doing my tax return.

• Like 6

A cynic could also say that it's even easier for him to manipulate the crypto and nft markets if he owns the whole twitter platform and not just tweets about them occasionally..

• Like 2

the guy is astoundingly inept at forming good political takes, and perpetually demonstrates being taken in by deceptive narratives. the whole thing is an embarrassing self-own. it reads like he's one of these Wrong People Annoyed With Cancel Culture so as a billionaire he bought twitter. he's already preaching bothsidesism like he doesn't even know what it is. someone get this man a prescription and get him away from the significant info tool.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2