IGNORED

Elon Musk's Starman - Is this shit real wtf

YO303

• 4 months later...

Elon Musk Walks Back ‘Pedo Guy’ Attack on Cave Diver After Investor Pressure

The tech billionaire Elon Musk on Wednesday walked back his baseless claim that a British diver involved in the cave rescue efforts in Thailand was a pedophile, an accusation made after the man criticized a submarine that Mr. Musk had said he built to help with the rescue.

The cave diver, Vern Unsworth, who helped with the effort to rescue 12 boys and their soccer coach, had told CNN last week that the miniature submarine, built with rocket parts, was a “P.R. stunt” and that Mr. Musk could “stick his submarine where it hurts.”

That drew an angry response over the weekend from Mr. Musk, who called Mr. Unsworth a “pedo guy” in a series of angry tweets defending the vessel.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/18/business/elon-musk-vern-unsworth-pedo-guy.html?module=WatchingPortal&region=c-column-middle-span-region&pgType=Homepage&action=click&mediaId=thumb_square&state=standard&contentPlacement=2&version=internal&contentCollection=www.nytimes.com&contentId=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nytimes.com%2F2018%2F07%2F18%2Fbusiness%2Felon-musk-vern-unsworth-pedo-guy.html&eventName=Watching-article-click

^yup. Even his apology has a preface of 'well he started it, it's his fault!' and then doesn't just apologize to the guy, but to "Mr. Unsworth and to the companies I represent as leader." So he can't even pretend for a full fucking sentence that it's about anything other than money. Not much of an apology. The ego on that guy.

“As this well-written article suggests, my words were spoken in anger after Mr. Unsworth said several untruths & suggested I engage in a sexual act with the mini-sub, which had been built as an act of kindness & according to specifications from the dive team leader.”

LOL

He really should focus his energy on non-social-media-related stuff. Every interaction with people on twitter over the last couple of days has been so cringeworthy.

The Unsworth guy was being a prick in fairness, not enough to justify being called a pedo of course, but 'he started it' would have been a valid justification for a less libelous response.

speaking of Tesla. Do electric cars really improve co2 levels?

source of electricity:

https://www.thebalance.com/sources-of-electricity-1182554

• Fossil fuels 67% (coal 41%), oil (5.1%), natural gas (21%)
  • Renewable energy 16% (mainly hydroelectric (92%), wind (6%), geothermal (1%), and solar (1%)
  • Nuclear power 13%
  • Other sources 3% (i.e., biofuels and biomass)

<p>

speaking of Tesla. Do electric cars really improve co2 levels?

source of electricity:

https://www.thebalance.com/sources-of-electricity-1182554

• Fossil fuels 67% (coal 41%), oil (5.1%), natural gas (21%)
  • Renewable energy 16% (mainly hydroelectric (92%), wind (6%), geothermal (1%), and solar (1%)
  • Nuclear power 13%
  • Other sources 3% (i.e., biofuels and biomass)
It really depends on your region and how the power is generated there. Somewhere in WV or rural PA, it might actually be worse, although it is much easier to capture / scrub emissions from a few power plants compared to a million point sources (ICE cars). In states which use a lot of hydro, solar, wind, etc. it can be substantially better. Of course, when you take into account what to do with the heavy metals in the battery once it's dead, you open a whole other can of worms.

I own an electric car (Chevy Bolt) and I absolutely love it. Didn't really buy it for the environment, just thought it was a cool, fun car to drive. Going to take it on vacation this year and test out the fast charging infrastructure along the mid-Atlantic.

Edited by Charles Nelson Reilly

"every aerospace company has to donate to republicans in order to function. in fact most major companies across the board do, in some capacity. it’s the price of doing business in america..."

-Grimes

Edited by Entorwellian

• 2 weeks later...

"every aerospace company has to donate to republicans in order to function. in fact most major companies across the board do, in some capacity. it’s the price of doing business in america..."

-Grimes

To be fair Grimes has always been a bit daft when it comes to her ideological "musings" - she's always been a badass when it comes to DIY music making and all that indie ethos but beyond music and artwork she's a bit off and I've just kinda laughed it off. I worry about this relationship steering her completely away from music though. Her breakout success lead to all this iffy second-guessing and overthinking since Visions. Ironic her best stuff was made on Garageband in a week and then she puts out a good but less interesting (IMO) album after years of fine-tuning and tweaking when she was collaborating with others and bumping shoulders with major label artists. I can't imagine what the hell Silicon Valley might do influence wise.

Their romance has sparked criticism from Grimes fans, particularly those who see a conflict with an “anti-imperialist” artist who once wrote a feminist manifesto dating a multi-billionaire whose company has been accused of intimidating union workers, exploiting foreign workers, anti-gay harassment, racial harassment, creating an environment of sexual harassment described as a “predator zone,” and firing a woman who spoke out.

Haha, explains it all about her really