IGNORED

How does elseq fit in with the album number reference game?

splesh

btw how do confield, untilted, quaristice and oversteps fit?

Those are a bit more of a stretch, but from what I understand:

Confild has VI scose poise. VI=6

Untilted has 8 letters and 8 tracks

Quaristice had a catalog number of WARP333. 333=9

Like I said, it’s a tenuous thread but at least there’s something

But I’ve got nothing to rationalize/connect oversteps. Just move of ten

IIRC, someone found a very obscure link to quaristice and the number 9 which goes like this: if you make a grid of nine squares, it would leave four empty spaces around the inner corners. "stice" is kind of a root word for an empty space, so "quaristice" could apparently mean "four spaces". tbh i don't think the B brothers were thinking this at the time, altho the minimal square artwork makes (a bit) more sense in this context.

there's a shitload of 9s in quadrange tracklist and Gantz Graf has some numeric association to Confield (WARP128 and WARP256), though i'm not sure where's 8 in there.

i never noticed that before! do you think the use of '90101' in the titles is just a reference to the ninth album, like "Draft 7.30" being a title? that is much simpler. perhaps "90101" was a vague, almost unnamed track that kept getting remixed and modified.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there's a shitload of 9s in quadrange tracklist and Gantz Graf has some numeric association to Confield (WARP128 and WARP256), though i'm not sure where's 8 in there.

i never noticed that before! do you think the use of '90101' in the titles is just a reference to the ninth album, like "Draft 7.30" being a title? that is much simpler. perhaps "90101" was a vague, almost unnamed track that kept getting remixed and modified.

It was just a quick throw-away argument, there are other 9s in Quaristice and its posse anyway - chenc9, Outh9X. Quadrange also is a 9-letter title (unlike Quaristice) and the catalogue number is the same 333 with letters, so 9 just isn't obscure in this case.

Where's 8 in Gantz Graf though? The Japanese edition on Beat Records actually has an 8 as catalogue number (BRE8), you could also call Warp's 256 as 2i guess, but both of these are kinda weak.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I like to imagine that elseq was the new ae take on the EP, a "mini-album" relative to the "loooooongplay". Therefore the way is paved for NTS1-4 to be twelb, a worth-the-wait follow-up to Exai.

I guess I should re-emphasize "I like to imagine" (fully aware of their catalogue numbering system). I just find the concept of elseq as a mere EP-length by their current standards amusing, in reality it would be ridiculous.

elseq -> elsa -> frozen -> disney animation studio's 13th academy award for best song -> 13th autechre album

ae_live -> alive -> johnny 5 is alive -> johnny 5 12 alive -> 12 -> the 12th autechre album is ae_live

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Where's 8 in Gantz Graf though? The Japanese edition on Beat Records actually has an 8 as catalogue number (BRE8), you could also call Warp's 256 as 2i guess, but both of these are kinda weak.

always thought the æ on its side was the 8

always thought the æ on its side was the 8

s-l300.jpg

my original hypothesis way back was that they only ref the album order inthe odd numbered releases. but then Quarisitice came out and that kind of fell apart (though Exai brought it back), and now NTS Sessions 1-4, if we're to consider that 13, doesn't fit either.

everything else seems like a big stretch, if we're just to consider album titles

The stylised 4 in the NTS art caught my eye straight away.  why should the 4 be different? 

or.. is the word 'sessions' to be treated like the Peel Session EPs in the numbering game?

Archived