IGNORED

Latest compact disc purchase.

whosebrian

1 hour ago, dcom said:

R-528523-1127920428.jpeg.jpg R-529133-1193065744.jpeg.jpg R-1443160-1294843185.jpeg.jpg R-3557312-1335176783.jpeg.jpg

Really in to Penguin Cafe Orchestra ever since I found the self-titled on vinyl in a thrift shop years ago (actually  guess a lot longer because I have a vague memory of hearing Music For a Found Harmonium on TV somewhere when I was 9 or 10 and just instantly memorizing the melody, learning to play it on my fist toy keyboard and just about every other instrument I got my hands on for years but never hearing it again or knowing who did it until I finally got Broadcasting from Home in, I don't know, 2011 or 12).  I've got a few of them but I never picked up When In Rome, how is it?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TubularCorporation said:

I've got a few of them but I never picked up When In Rome, how is it?

Don't know yet, it's the only one still on the way from a Discogs seller, but I'll let you know. If you haven't, also check out the continuation of the group, Penguin Café. which is run by Simon Jeffries' son Arthur. I've had a long-time preference for the newer instance, but decided to finally get the original ensemble's output as well - had to get the CDs as only Union Café is available in digital.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Cash Money Millionaires - Platinum Instrumentals

13 slices of nice, nice, Mannie Fresh production.

• Farnsworth 1

But before that, there was a clearance special on at the bandcamp of Punch Drunk Records where you could get these for five quid (plus shipping):

• RSD  - Good Energy - A Singles compilation CD
  • Peverelist - Jarvik Mindstate album CD
  • Guido - Anidea album CD
  • Various Artists - Worth the Weight - Bristol Dubstep Classics 2CD compilation
  • Bass Clef -  Reeling Skullways album CD
  • Various Artists - Worth the Weight Vol 2 - From The Edge CD compilation

On 12/31/2020 at 4:42 PM, TubularCorporation said:

I've got a few of them but I never picked up When In Rome, how is it?

I got the CD in the post yesterday, and I've been listening to it today - it's a beautiful live recording, there's intermittent applause, but the music is exquisitely recorded and mixed, and the selection is fantastic and fun; a big recommendation from me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dcom said:

I got the CD in the post yesterday, and I've been listening to it today - it's a beautiful live recording, there's intermittent applause, but the music is exquisitely recorded and mixed, and the selection is fantastic and fun; a big recommendation from me.

If I remember right, it's the music from their ballet, which I recommend watching.

8 minutes ago, splesh said:

If I remember right, it's the music from their ballet, which I recommend watching.

The ballet's called Still Life at the Penguin Café, and there's a DVD/VHS of it, but no CD release.

Edited by dcom

12 hours ago, splesh said:

But before that, there was a clearance special on at the bandcamp of Punch Drunk Records where you could get these for five quid (plus shipping):

• RSD  - Good Energy - A Singles compilation CD
  • Peverelist - Jarvik Mindstate album CD
  • Guido - Anidea album CD
  • Various Artists - Worth the Weight - Bristol Dubstep Classics 2CD compilation
  • Bass Clef -  Reeling Skullways album CD
  • Various Artists - Worth the Weight Vol 2 - From The Edge CD compilation

Aw man, awesome! Too bad shipping is a bit expensive over here to the USA. ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Black Dog -- Fragments

Donato Dozzy -- The Loud Silence

Donato Dozzy -- Plays Bee Mask

Koss/Henriksson/Mullaert -- The Möllan Sessions

Lindstrom & Prins Thomas -- III

Sebastian Mullaert & Eitan Reiter -- Reflections of Nothingness

V.A. -- Virtual Dreams (Ambient Explorations in the House & Techno Age 1993--1997)

V.A. -- IDMEMO -- A Future of Nostalgia

V.A. -- I'm Starting to Feel Okay Vol. 6

Edited by IDEM
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

409926199_IMG_20210324_125035811(1).jpg

From left to right: Biosphere - Angel's Flight, Lee Gamble - Koch, AFRODEUTSCHE - Break Before Make

Gesaffelstein - Aleph, Mu-Ziq - Somerset Avenue Tracks 1992-1995, Stromae - Racine Carrée

Madlib - Sound Ancestors, De Jeugd Van Tegenwoordig - "Ja, Natúúrlijk", Childish Gambino - Because The Internet

Edited by thumbass
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
Carl Craig - Landcruising (1997, Detroit techno)
Steve Hillage - Fish Rising (1975, Space rock/Canterbury prog)
Radu Malfatti & Klaus Filip - imaoto (2009, eai)
Ernesto Rodrigues/Radu Malfatti/Ricardo Guerreiro - Late Summer (2012, eai)
Neu! - self titled (1972, "krautrock"/psychedelic rock)
Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It in People (2002, Indie rock/dream pop, psychedelic pop)
  • Like 1

X-103 - Atlantis (1993, Detroit techno)
Sly and the Family Stone - There's a Riot Goin' On (1971, Funk/psychedelic soul)

• Like 1

I've been on the prowl for 808 State's double CD releases with Archives I-IV, i.e. 90ex:elGorgeous, and Don Solaris. After that the only one I'm missing is Quadrastate, still waiting to find a decently priced copy (anyone have a CD copy they want to part with?).

90 is definitely my favourite 808 State album, it has an awesome dramatic arc.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Two super awesome albums from 2010, both with iconic album artwork

Actress - Splazsh

Jüppala Kääpiö ‎- Sporing Promenade

R-2298756-1275277238.jpeg.jpg

• Like 1

Brian Eno - Music for Airports (had to replace my copy)
King Tubby meets Roots Radics - Dangerous Dub (classic of dub reggae)
Dave Angel - Tales of the Unexpected (solid full length by a great techno producer)
JB3 - Close Grind (one of my favourite techno albums by this legend)

And I got these because nostalgia bit me hard:

The Locust - The Locust
The Locust - Flight of the Wounded Locust
The Locust - New Erections
The Locust - Safety Second, Body Last
Blood Brothers - March On, Electric Children
Blood Brothers - This Adultery Is Ripe
An Albatross - Blessphemy (Of the Peace-Beast Feastgiver and the Bear Warp Kumite)

• Like 1

Yesterday was bandcamp Friday (maybe the last ever :O) So I preordered the new Loraine James CD, Reflection. I also bought the following:

DAWN - Redemption (which is like R&B/dancepop with almost all production handled by Machinedrum, doing some footworklike beats),
RP Boo - I'll Tell You What,
Jurg Frey & Radu Malfatti - II,
Keith Rowe & Sachiko M - contact,
and last but not least, Taku Unami & Takahiro Kawaguchi - Teatro Assente 

• Like 2

Tim Baker - Audio Implant (1999) RIP Tim https://mixmag.net/read/detroit-techno-house-dj-tim-baker-elephanthaus-died-news
Donald Byrd - Places and Spaces (1975) Some people called this him selling out but really, it's a classic of the intersection of jazz, funk, and disco... not much other disco on Blue Note Records, I tell you what

Deeeeeeeeeetroit

I just bought a copy of Jay & Silent Bob Reboot OST to the get the extended version of Q Lazzarus' Goodbye Horses. Really tempted to get the vinyl version of the OST to have this track playable from vinyl.

This track was featured on Jonathan Demme's Silence of the Lambs; Q Lazzarus on her unwanted fame. Vinyl copies for the original release go for 500+ USD on Discogs. Married to the Mob's OST has the 7" version, might get that at some point too.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 2