IGNORED

Beach House - 7

Friendly Foil

approaching (too) slick mainstream production now, but still good.

Yeah this track is still damn good, lot of elements of their old stuff still present. That said a lot of indie bands have really been gravitating toward this slick electronic-tinged music lately and it's often a bit disappointing. I hope the rest of the album is as good as this track but I would be bummed if this is the most "Beach House-y" track...unless they went into some super experimental / ballsy avant-garde direction, which I doubt.

I always try to put myself in the band's shoes when this occurs - they could be tired of the same sound the fans can't get enough of...they could want to avoid being called out as reinventing the wheel, and well, they might just want to try something more slick and poppy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

man these tracks are so generic. what happened to Victoria’s voice? I hate this flat shoegaze thing they’re going for. really miss the band that made the self titled and devotion.

• 1 month later...

Really excited for this. Began listening to their older stuff starting with their 2006 debut and it's kind of a mindfuck hearing what they sound like then compared to now. Subtle, it's not like wildly different music genre / style wise but every detail - her voice, the production, musicianship, etc. sounds like a different band.

Archived