IGNORED

The Advisory Circle - Ways of Seeing

Nebraska

• 1 month later...

Played all those tracks on SoundCloud. Cannot say any of them did much for me. Clean, polished and generic sounds. I didn't like it at all. It reminds me of that (very underwhelming) Belbury Circle thing. Also, IMO, doesn't sound like The Advisory Circle much at all.

Ghostbox have made a very concerted effort (IMO) to move away from the sort of music that originally defined them. Much of the output they've released over the past three years or so seems to have been aimed at broadening their audience - but for me, the music has become bland and unmemorable.

In the last three years, I can only think of the last Focus Group album (2017) that had any kind of lasting effect on my listening habits. Before that, it was (somewhat ironically) the last Advisory Circle album (2014). Unfortunately, the new album seems to have become subject to the same forces that have effected the Ghostbox stuff over the last three years.

lol not sure i'm hearing the same thing as those amiga tunes but more something along the lines of standard music or sonoton. i can understand the comparison though considering standard and sonoton did have their heyday during the early 80s- exactly around the early video games years but i think the production and synths was much different.

also kinda realized: both sonoton and standard music was used a lot in early photography ads which corresponds with advisory circles photography theme happening on this record. beyond excited 

https://youtu.be/evPOQdDHvms

Ghostbox have made a very concerted effort (IMO) to move away from the sort of music that originally defined them. Much of the output they've released over the past three years or so seems to have been aimed at broadening their audience - but for me, the music has become bland and unmemorable..

Totally agree with this.

they still release some great stuff. the The Focus Group album last year and Beautify Junkyards' recent album, as examples. but i agree a lot of their recent output is kinda blah. still, some of these samples sounds pretty good. no logotones though?? >;(

• 1 month later...

I agree with the stuff above about Ghost Box over the last few years but I have to say this is a really nice record, with some beautifully-turned synth music on show. It's up on Youtube (for now, anyway) and well worth a listen:

Archived