IGNORED

Dedekind Cut - Tahoe

fumi

a2763716414_16.jpg

[bandcamp width=100% height=120 album=1818678450 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false artwork=small]

'MMXIX' sounds like something you may hear on OPN's R7. 'Spiral' could easily be something Claude Speeed would produce.

Great album. Recommended.

• 2 weeks later...

This track is fantastic.

[bandcamp width=100% height=120 album=1818678450 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false artwork=small track=818531050]

Do enjoy his ambient stuff, but really miss the Lee Bannon Ninjatune era. He made some killer tracks.

I think 'Conversations with Angels' is maybe my favourite piece of his. Also, the cover of that album, '$uccessor' is really iconic, at least to me.

a3796786498_16.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

shame there was no $uccessor thread. i think someone might have mentioned it in their year-end list.

Man I'm just now diving into this guy's discography, besides the Rabit collab I was unfamiliar with the project. I had no idea he was a left-field hip-hop producer and beat maker. I think it makes his approach to ambient/drone a lot different than his peers and it shows in a good way.

[bandcamp width=100% height=120 album=1818678450 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false artwork=small]

'MMXIX' sounds like something you may hear on OPN's R7. 'Spiral' could easily be something Claude Speeed would produce.

There's a really broad sense of influences he seems to be launching from, I saw some review mentioned new age music from the 90s as one such muse. There's some cool sounds mixed in that totally work. There's throat-singing on one of the tracks.

shame there was no $uccessor thread. i think someone might have mentioned it in their year-end list.

Man I'm just now diving into this guy's discography, besides the Rabit collab I was unfamiliar with the project. I had no idea he was a left-field hip-hop producer and beat maker. I think it makes his approach to ambient/drone a lot different than his peers and it shows in a good way.

There's a really broad sense of influences he seems to be launching from, I saw some review mentioned new age music from the 90s as one such muse. There's some cool sounds mixed in that totally work. There's throat-singing on one of the tracks.

It was the 1980s. The artist was Steve Halpern. Having owned some of his 80s work, I find the connection tenuous but I guess different reviewers hear different things.

One thing that does sort of echo back to the 80s New Age aesthetic is the list of locations on the album cover where 'Tahoe' is best listened to. That's very cool and funny. They even include Mt Shasta, (which was the holy-grail during the 1980s for New-Age types).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

apparently he decided to wipe all traces of that rabit collab from the internet? I really liked that one, very unique. shame we won't get anymore.

edit: I'm sure there was a mix from them two played on bbc 6music or which i cant even find a suggestion of on the web, if anyone has a clue...

I liked it, nothing really mind-blowing but I do remember a lot of cut-up glitchy dnb breakbeats similar to say Skee Mask or Lee Gamble. 

It's not evocative of anything (it's just a mathematical term) and it's not immediately clear how to pronounce it and i keep confusing it with titicut follies. i will say it's a much better name than the caretaker or christ.

It's not evocative of anything (it's just a mathematical term)

It's evocative of the mathematical objects in question, which are interesting. And hopefully the artist name will prompt some people to learn about them who otherwise wouldn't have.

Archived