IGNORED

Help setting up a Korg Monologue to use with Reason?

ghOsty

I've never really tried to use external hardware along with a DAW before, and I' admittedly kind of a noob about this, but this is getting frustrating...  :fail:   

I'm trying to get my Monologue routed into reason so I can record some some synths into stuff I've been working on. Unfortunately my interface doesn't have a MIDI in/out (fucking POS Avid Fast Track Solo). If Im understanding the Monologue manual correctly though, it can be synced just via USB though... However I can't seem to get anything working.

On the monologue I have it setup so  clock Source is set to  Auto (USB), MIDI route is set to USB, I have the MIDI channel set to 1. In Reason I have the MIDI settings as

External Control:
Bus A: Monologue MIDI IN

Midi Clock Sync:
Input: monologue MIDI IN

Output: monologue MIDI OUT   (both also have the option to be set to monologue kbd/knob

I'm getting nothing it seems :catcry: ... Have I not setup things right? Or am I not understanding what the USB function actually does, do I actually need an interface with proper MIDI in/out? 

Has anyone else gotten a monologue or minilogue (assuming it's pretty simillar) working with Reason just via USB? 

i don't have a monologue but have tried multiple times with usb midi keyboards and you don't even need to setup up those options in the advanced menu... where i have io2 you should probably have usb i don't remember because right now i don't have any usb controllers, i'm using midi cables with my korg ds-8... i guess if it's usb you can click the button auto-detect surfaces...

post-155-0-77705300-1519512650.pngpost-155-0-84332200-1519512649.png

post-155-0-95899500-1519512853.pngpost-155-0-59543300-1519512651.png

post-155-0-84332200-1519512649_thumb.png

post-155-0-77705300-1519512650_thumb.png

post-155-0-59543300-1519512651_thumb.png

post-155-0-95899500-1519512853_thumb.png

i don't have a monologue but have tried multiple times with usb midi keyboards and you don't even need to setup up those options in the advanced menu... where i have io2 you should probably have usb i don't remember because right now i don't have any usb controllers, i'm using midi cables with my korg ds-8... i guess if it's usb you can click the button auto-detect surfaces...

post-155-0-77705300-1519512650.pngpost-155-0-84332200-1519512649.png

post-155-0-95899500-1519512853.pngpost-155-0-59543300-1519512651.png

this has worked for me for any of my inputs. edit: I've only used usb keyboards and drum machines though.

Ghosty is it possible it's a driver issue or something? Does your monologue come with a disc you need to install on the comp first?

External Control:

Midi Clock Sync:

Output: monologue MIDI OUT   (both also have the option to be set to monologue kbd/knob

Ghosty is it possible it's a driver issue or something? Does your monologue come with a disc you need to install on the comp first?

i guess it isn't a driver issue since reason is detecting the monologue, i'm pretty sure it's the midi assignment in the selected track in the screenshot i posted above...

External Control:

Midi Clock Sync:

or maybe not, i'm cheking it right now and that drop down menu is labeled, select groove

i guess it isn't a driver issue since reason is detecting the monologue, i'm pretty sure it's the midi assignment in the selected track in the screenshot i posted above...

or maybe not, i'm checking it right now and that little drop down menu is labeled select groove...

i guess ghOsty just forgot to select the desired track in the sequencer... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

btw, anyone knows what this groove thingie on reason does? i never used it...

oh my i'd never explored the groove function before, turns out it's possible to select different swing amounts for each track, or load groove/swing presets... i didn't even knew how to make swing on reason until now, this is great news for me... :jotsitdown:

oh my i'd never explored the groove function before, turns out it's possible to select different swing amounts for each track, or load groove/swing presets... i didn't even knew how to make swing on reason until now, this is great news for me... :jotsitdown:

I understood it conceptually but in my limited experience, wasn't sure how to make use of it (the groove thing). 

I'm a noob =(

The channel select thing may have been part of the issue?  I think I had the sequencer track selected, but at the same time looking back IDK... I was kinda tired when working on it this afternoon, so I may not have been thikning 100% clearly. I'll have to open it back up and fuck around some more... The other consideration is I may just need a better midi i/o interface... 

been eyeballing one of these... 
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ControlHub--alesis-control-hub-usb-midi-and-monitoring-interface#modal

or not... it still doesn't seem to be getting notes

External Control:

Midi Clock Sync:

I don't know Reason, but this part seems off.

First, external control in DAWs usually refers to stuff you use to move faders around to control the mix. But if I understand correctly, you want to send MIDI to the Monologue so it makes a sound. Maybe this link helps? https://www.propellerheads.se/en/reason/instruments/external-midi

Second, midi clock sync is usually only hooked up in one direction - if you need to send clock to the Monologue, your clock signal Output should be Monologue MIDI IN. This should only matter if you are using an arpeggiator or some tempo-based effect on the Monologue - if you are just sending notes to be played, then clock sync is not important.

First, external control in DAWs usually refers to stuff you use to move faders around to control the mix. But if I understand correctly, you want to send MIDI to the Monologue so it makes a sound. Maybe this link helps? https://www.propellerheads.se/en/reason/instruments/external-midi

reason didn't have midi out until this latest version, i think ghosty wants to play reason's synths and record midi in the piano roll with his monologue... or maybe he has reason 10 and it's the other way around...

reason doesn't have midi out until this latest version, i think ghosty wants to play reason's synths and record midi in the piano roll with his monologue...

Sorry if I'm wording my intentions poorly, I want to play the Monologue's synths and have it record the MIDI into Reason... Like if I've written a sequence or patch on the Monologue to just be able to play that along with say a drumtrack I've made in Reason.

If that's not how all this really works, and I'm off in my understanding of how MIDI sync works, please, don't hesitate to school my dumbass cause I'm fuckin' confused, but I want to understand this correctly... Am I looking at the routing all backwards?

I know I can just route it in as an audio, and record that way, but it won't necessarily be in sync with the other stuff, I thought if I were able to sync it, I could have note info and parameters and shit.

it's strange that you can select it on that advanced panel and on the keyboard/surfaces panel reason doesn't detect it... do you have the track selected in the piano roll? when you ress a key you don't see a red bar going up and down on the selected track?

reason didn't have midi out until this latest version, i think ghosty wants to play reason's synths and record midi in the piano roll with his monologue... or maybe he has reason 10 and it's the other way around...

The video that's found in the link is from 2013, seems to me MIDI out has been in Reason since 7?

The video that's found in the link is from 2013, seems to me MIDI out has been in Reason since 7?

ok i stand corrected...

Connecting the monologue to a computer via USB In order to use a USB connection, you’ll need to install the Korg USB-MIDI driver on your computer. Download the “Korg USB-MIDI driver” from the Korg website, and install it as described in the accompanying documentation. If either the MIDI connection or the USB connection is not working properly, check the settings in button 6 (MIDI Route) of the GLOBAL EDIT mode (“MIDI Route”, p. 42).

• Page42
Button 6 (GLOBAL 4) These parameters relate to the monologue’s MIDI capabilities. MIDI Ch [1...16] In order to communicate, the monologue and your other MIDI devices must be set to the same MIDI channel. This is both the Transmit and Receive channel. Clock Source [Auto (USB), Auto (MIDI), Internal] Many features of the monologue can be sync’d to the tempo or BPM. This parameter allows you to specify whether the clock source is internal, or an external MIDI Clock Source. Auto (USB), Auto (MIDI): When there is no input, the internal clock will be used; and when input is detected, the internal clock will be synchronized to the clocks from the USB B and MIDI IN connectors respectively. Internal: Only the internal clock to be used. When a cable is plugged into the SYNC IN jack, the internal clock is synchronized to the SYNC IN jack clock, regardless of the MIDI clock settings. Enable Rx MIDI [Off, On] Sets whether MIDI channel messages can be received or not. En Rx Transport [Off, On] Sets whether Transport-related MIDI system real-time messages (start, stop, continue) can be received or not. Enable Tx MIDI [Off, On] Sets whether MIDI channel messages can be transmitted or not. MIDI Route [uSB+MIDI, USB] MIDI signals can be sent and received via the MIDI and USB connectors, or by the USB connector alone. USB+MIDI: MIDI messages are received via the USB B connector and the MIDI IN connector; messages are transmitted from the USB B connector and the MIDI OUT connector. USB: MIDI messages will be transmitted and received only via the USB B connector. When using the USB connector as a MIDI interface, it is advantageous to use this setting.

reason doesn't have midi out until this latest version, i think ghosty wants to play reason's synths and record midi in the piano roll with his monologue...

Sorry if I'm wording my intentions poorly, I want to play the Monologue's synths and have it record the MIDI into Reason... Like if I've written a sequence or patch on the Monologue to just be able to play that along with say a drumtrack I've made in Reason.

If that's not how all this really works, and I'm off in my understanding of how MIDI sync works, please, don't hesitate to school my dumbass cause I'm fuckin' confused, but I want to understand this correctly...

I know I can just route it in as an audio, and record that way, but it won't necessarily be in sync with the other stuff, I thought if I were able to sync it, I could have note info and parameters and shit.

No worries, this makes sense. I was not aware you have a sequencer on the Monologue.

I think you need to try to install the KORG MIDI driver, but thenagain I am on a Mac and I have never had to install any drivers for my MicroX (or maybe I just forgot that I did).

Also if you want to troubleshoot better, get either MIDIOX (Windows) or Midi monitor (Mac) to see if the MIDI messages actually are sent and everything will make more sense. :)

well this video is the same i posted in pictures so, i dunno what else to try...

thawkins, the drivers are already installed, reason already detected the monologue... see op's 1st post... :)

I'm using Reason 8

well with reason 8 you can do both, you can record the midi and the audio in reason or you could also send midi from reason to your monologue, all trough the same usb cable...

but honestly i never used reason 8 so i don't know how to set things up...

OK I GOT IT!  :yeah: 

By manually setting up the keyboard control surface, it was able to read the MIDI notes, (auto-detect was giving me nothing).

Then it seems I had to route from the audio output of the Monologue into the interface, and connect that to the Macbook via another USB cable. Then within Reason the external MIDI device had to be set to "Monologue SOUND" rather than "Monologue MIDI out." :facepalm: 

So I guess the first USB connection is sending JUST the MIDI data. I had been thinking the USB, would cover both audio and MIDi info on single connection (like it does when plugging in a simple controller), but it seems that's not how it works (I get that now.) Then I set the Reason preferences to;

External Control:
No MIDI Input

Midi Clock Sync:
Input: No MIDI Clock Input
Output: monologue MIDI OUT

Anyways, this was something I've been meaning to get working for some time now, so thanks to everyone for the help on this! Apologies if my being dense about this made it more difficult than it needed to be. It's honestly not an ideal setup since now I have both USB ports in use on my Macbook, I'll probably have to pick up that Alesis interface at some point, but this will work for now! Now to get to work making new material!

Yeah my bad I did not notice that he already had the Monologue recognized.

However, then it should be straightforward to create that External Device thing as shown in the video I linked. I think that's what is missing in the OP's configuration, because sync only transmits timecode, you also need to send some notes and the only way to do that is through the External Device, or in this case just press play on the Monologue's sequencer?

And my impression is that the clock sync is set up kind of wrong, it should be:

Midi Clock Sync:
Input: none (as Reason is the main clock source)

Output: monologue MIDI IN (or which ever is the proper clock input port for running Monologue's sequencer)

Edit: seems you've got it working, congrats! Feel free to disregard this post! :)

By manually setting up the keyboard control surface, it was able to read the MIDI notes, (auto-detect was giving me nothing).

that's what i told you to do in the first place, in those pics, right before suggesting you to try auto detect...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

post-155-0-95899500-1519512853.png

Then it seems I had to route from the audio output of the Monologue into the interface, and connect that to the Macbook via another USB cable

say what? you used 2 USB cables? one from the monologue into your audio interface? so your audio interface has like 2 usb ports? that's so weird...

that's what i told you to do in the first place, in those pics, right before suggesting you to try auto detect...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Then it seems I had to route from the audio output of the Monologue into the interface, and connect that to the Macbook via another USB cable

say what? you used 2 USB cables? one from the monologue into your audio interface? so your audio interface has like 2 usb ports? that's so weird...

Yeah, you did... I think I kinda overlooked that at first in my frustrations... There isn't two USB ports on the interface but there is on the Macbook, one of the USB cords is going directly from the Monolgue into the Macbook with no interface in between, I think that's essentially whats operating as the alternative to a MIDI i/o setup, and what I needed the driver for. Like I said, it's not ideal, because now both USB ports on the MAcbook are in use, but it works for now. I'll have to get a better interface later on to free up on of the ports for additional controllers.

There isn't two USB ports on the interface but there is on the Macbook, one of the USB cords is going directly from the Monolgue into the Macbook with no interface in between, I think that's essentially whats operating as the alternative to a MIDI i/o setup, and what I needed the driver for. Like I said, it's not ideal, because now both USB ports on the MAcbook are in use, but it works for now. I'll have to get a better interface later on to free up on of the ports for additional controllers.

yep that's the common practice, direct plugging into usb ports on the pc, no interfaces in between.

audio interface into one usb port, mouse into another, external hd into another and controllers into others, etc...

you don't really need an interface with midi input because that's only gonna free up one usb port, what you need is this:

hub_usb_3_0_portatil_de_4_portas_tp_link

Archived