IGNORED

Digitone

modey

I honestly haven't really listened to the presets beyond an initial scroll through when I first got it. I keep forgetting that Mark Fell was involved. I should really have a look at them at some point.

As for Overbridge, the multitrack audio has apparently been implemented, just not the VST side. I haven't tried it yet though. But I'm sure that, in combination with USB-MIDI, should be enough for TidalCycles, right?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks! It should do already indeed. I still don't have the dough though, so it's more about saving for the right synth.

Regarding MF's presets, I basically never use presets myself but would enjoy some insight on his sound-design (as I quite like the guy's work).

I want to have the multitrack recording via OB, but I don't want to update the firmware out of fear. It works perfectly right now.

• 1 month later...

I want to have the multitrack recording via OB, but I don't want to update the firmware out of fear. It works perfectly right now.

i had (and sold) the digitakt, so can't comment much atm. but i loaded the beta testing firmware onto it to test out the DAW recording. didn't seem to make any difference to the performance of the box. 

~ tested out the DAW intergration and it pretty much worked as advertised, which i found pretty impressive..  until ableton crashed.

i then realised i wasn't interested in reporting bugs / beta testing at all and was more just wanting a finished working product, so stopped using it, but kept the beta firmware on the digitakt for little longer without any issues on the box itself. 

Really happy with mine – can easily summon headsplitting textures from nothing. Here's two tracks I did a few weeks ago that are 100% Digitone, no edits: https://hotpissofficial.bandcamp.com/album/snake-report-2

That's some hot shit! Great tracks. 

Thank you!

i had (and sold) the digitakt, so can't comment much atm. but i loaded the beta testing firmware onto it to test out the DAW recording. didn't seem to make any difference to the performance of the box. 

~ tested out the DAW intergration and it pretty much worked as advertised, which i found pretty impressive..  until ableton crashed.

i then realised i wasn't interested in reporting bugs / beta testing at all and was more just wanting a finished working product, so stopped using it, but kept the beta firmware on the digitakt for little longer without any issues on the box itself. 

I've been using the Overbridge beta with the Digitone to feed audio into VCV Rack without any issues on the hardware side. Still a few things missing to make it properly usable but it works fine if all you want to do is stream tracks into the computer.

• 2 weeks later...

Makes a lot of sense to me. Would've been a bit ridiculous to launch yet another entirely new product for elektron, they've been releasing shit like crazy over the past couple of years.

Find it a bit weird how angry people seem to get at elektron, maybe it's their own fault for having these stupid teaser videos that get people wildly speculating and getting their hopes up. But fucking fuck it's a fucking synth, it's a different physical approach to interacting with this synth, you might like it or you might not like it. 

</elektronapologist>

i think the ball started rolling on that one, starting with them doing the digitakt (and then digitone) and it not having all the features that the thing was advertised as having pre/during-release. overbridge being the main one, being heavily marketed as a selling point for the digitakt, then year later going through the same highly marketed routine with the digitone while digitakt still didn't have the features it was advertised as having a year earlier. 

i think on one hand, the "hate" attitude comes from something understandable, but it has kinda snowballed a bit for some people into this shitty attitude that seems unwarranted. 

elektron rant: 

my digitone unit 50% of the time boots into DSP Boot failure, freezes. and needs to be turned off and on again before it starts working. sometimes it'll not be an issue at all, but sometimes it'll be "DSP Boot Failure", turn it off and on again, and it keeps booting into "DSP Boot Failure" 5 or so times before it finally kicks in.

i raised all of this with elektron via support ticket in january and their reply was:

"This is a firmware issue affecting a few units more consistently than others and our developers are close to a fix. If you have the possibility to exchange the unit via your retailer I recommend doing that. A fix is not that far away but it could take a few more weeks and I can't really promise how soon the bug fix OS can be released. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience."

then, after taking it to the store and not having any luck in getting it replaced, and relaying that info back to elektron, their reply: 

"It seems like the issue is exhibited more frequently in some locations and we have also most times not been able to recreate the issue when units have been sent to us. That's the main reason why it has taken so long to fix. 

Let me know if I can be of any assistance, and as I said we think we're close to a fix and it could be ready any day now."

... now today, 5 months later and amidst their promotional period for the new version of the digitone, someone brings up the exact same fault on their forums, and the reply they get is an instant "Send it in for service. This is covered under warranty." > https://www.elektronauts.com/t/digitone-os-1-20/91447/61

like, i'm sorry... but..

aDISXHT.gif

i imagine the same question applies to .. who would get a korg prologue instead of the korg minilogue? it'd be *those sickos*... who would want a digitone keys. 

i imagine there's a small number of people out there who would prefer the keys+digitone standalone unit over just the digitone. i also imagine there's a smaller number of the digitone keys being produced than the digitone has been. 

most importantly!!! i imagine that most music stores around the world don't have their demo digitone unit set up with a midi keyboard attached, and making it obvious to people interested in an FM synth that the digitone might be well suited to them. the trig buttons on the digitone are not velocity sensitive, and playing demo patches on the thing can sound boring and static on this tiny 1 octave / no velocity poor excuse of a chromatic keyboard. so the digitone keys is ensuring music stores at the very least have a proper demo unit setup for people to test out and play with. 

Archived