IGNORED

Digitone

modey

Same boat.

I love the small Elektron form factor with the mechnical keyboard like buttons, but I think I'll wait for a Digitakt mk2.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting a little more involved with patches, mainly through modifying the LFO.

https://soundcloud.com/colin-dyer/digitone-jam-02

The next step is get more familiar with conditional trigs and build some randomness into each track.

Getting a little more involved with patches, mainly through modifying the LFO.

https://soundcloud.com/colin-dyer/digitone-jam-02

The next step is get more familiar with conditional trigs and build some randomness into each track.

really nice stuff! love the sound of the metallic percussion.

the digitone has really impressed me with its sound quality based on what i've heard. i like how it has its own sonic identity different from the monomachine. even tho the mono can also do fm, it sounds completely different to this.

when elektron releases their next full-size digital synth, its going to be fantastic.

its a really powerful machine for running sequences through modular, im finding. hitting the unusual creeping rhythmic sweet spots in clouds is like slicing through butter by adding conditional trigs to midi trigs. 

Made a single patch that looped really nicely, so I recorded it for 10 minutes.

https://soundcloud.com/colin-dyer/digitone-ambient-patch-01

It glitched out on me at the end, though. I think I hit stop at the exact same time a trig was hit so there's this feedback swell that happens that was not intended.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a recording I made on the digitone ... edited down slightly in cubase :

https://soundcloud.com/user-507726405/dto1

Getting some really good sounds out of it! The higher melodies and quieter stuff is really good, but just in general, sounds like you're taking it in a good direction. I'm not big on much of the drum sounds I've heard from the Digitone but I think some of the percussion was working pretty well. Is the reverb/delay all from in the machine? It occasionally sounded a little wonky or almost cheap...not bad, just, not what I was expecting I guess? Maybe was just the settings at the moment (wasn't much that struck me that way).

There's definitely some good stuff in what you posted but it seems like you're just scratching the surface. I'm sure it'll be great as part of a setup, seems ideal for it (though obviously capable of much on its own).

I'm sure you've gotta be able to automate the effects parameters, hadn't heard anyone say otherwise... but I haven't paid too much attention to it since launch really. Keep it up dude, curious to hear where you end up taking it.

The effects can be controlled if you use MIDI loopback and control them via the MIDI tracks, apparently. There are some crashing/freezing issues when double tapping the stop button, but other than that, I've heard it's pretty good. I might have to give it a try this weekend!

Great track btw! I need to start getting into more non-tonal stuff with it, everything I've made on it so far has been lush haha. I need to get some Hizmi style hard tech happening!

I think the program change bug got fixed with the 1.02 update. I don't use program changes though so I haven't tried it.

Ah yeah, I've never really paired any of my Elektron gear. I really should, I think the Digitone and Octatrack would go together well.

There's no USB out yet. Admittedly I haven't really had time to make many tracks with mine but I've been doing a lot of sound design. I think I'm gonna start working on some sound packs, actually.

Yeah they've been taking their time on Overbridge. Hopefully it's worth it though.

And yeah, I'll be releasing a "general" soundpack for free at first and then selling some style-specific packs, depending on what's popular in the free one.

First thing I'm really happy with on the Digitone:

100% Digitone, lightly mastered. Sounds a bit Oversteps-y. Not much in terms of melodic progression but it's a nice meandering semi-generative thing.

edit: the arp is really strange and will take some getting used to.. I wish it had a note off feature for infinite length trigs.

Thanks!

It's mostly programmed automation via the HOLD LFO on a few parameters, mixed with trig conditions to make things a bit more generative sounding. At the beginning I was tweaking the initial "bass" sound, and then I did some tweaking to the lead (which is an arp that repeats every 512 steps, but gets a bit wonky here and there) and ambient pad towards the end. 

edit: also, most of these sounds will be in a sound pack I'm working on (including that snare), so stay tuned :D

Getting comfortable with param locks by putting all of the percussion on T1: https://www.instagram.com/p/BiqXLX4lSdv/

Sounds great!

Awesome !

I found when doing that you can experiment by locking the amount of voices to pattern and it produces different choke effects that are pretty cool.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of monophonic percussion patterns, I think that's why I like things like the PO-35 so much. It really allows for some early-mid Autechre/Gescom style beats.

its a real shame that your LFO settings change when you change a sound. 

Hmm? LFO settings are saved with the sound. What are you trying to do?

Yeah I've done a bit of testing with that and sound locks will always override any parameter tweaks, unless you happen to be adjusting a parameter at the time the sound plays, or if you're in live recording mode, which will record tweaks as parameter locks. So, parameter locks have priority over sound locks, which have priority over the parameters used by the track.

Consider sound locks to just be parameter locks, but for (potentially) every parameter at once.

It is a bit weird, but I'm not sure if it could work any other way.

Archived